Badu on Chappelle Show?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Davehenning, May 9, 2004.

1. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I caught Erykah Badu on the Dave Chappelle show tonight and her bass player was wicked! Anyone know who he is?
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Second time I've seen this episode, and second time I've really enjoyed that performance. Great bass playing for sure, tasty grooves and in the pocket! dunno who he is though.

Some quick researching reveals that it is either Braylon Lacy or Pino palladino

edit: further research reveals that it was most likely Braylon as This is Pino
  3. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Yeah! It has been a while since I have heard someone really knock me out. That guy just had all the right moves in the low end. Kind of almost like Nathan East in the way he bounced around groove with all kinds of tasty bits and yet held it all together at the same time. (much easier said than done!)
  4. mishi_ono

May 7, 2004
    Oakland, CA
    which chapelle show is this?

5. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Mike Braily (sp?). He's also known as Brother B. Very good bassist indeed!
  6. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles

Why thank you very much....... :)

EDIT: I think it is Braylon Lacy.
  7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    That was a really cool performance.

I have nothing to contribute so... I'll be leaving. Bye.
  8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I really enjoyed Brother B's playing also. I found it inteesting that he was playing a nice five string since he said that his main bass was a 1970 Fender P-bass in a Bass player interview. I think it's further proof that a 5-string is simply very practical when it comes to actual performance, especially with material that goes below E.
  9. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i love that re-run! she did another song on the music episode - becuase of that show, i had to run and go get all of Erykah's albums.
  10. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Wasn't he using an orange MTD saratoga?
  11. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!

I feel that same way. I record with 4, but play live with 5. I did record some tracks on this album with the Warwick and Benavente 5.

Dave, thanks for the correction.
  12. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    No problem. I was searching all over the web for a bass playin' "Brailey".... and I was starting to think he was the long lost son of Jerome "BigFoot" Brailey of P-Funk fame! :)

I really, really like Braylon's groove playing. Gotta find some more stuff. I think that he also plays upright.......
  13. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i thought it was a modulus genesis
  14. sg3000

Sep 18, 2005
    I have the bass played in the video. Braylon
    traded it in to a Dallas guitar store and I bought it.

I found this thread by doing a search for info
    about him playing this Modulus. Now I hope I can
    make it sound half as good as he did.
    It sounds so good in that video on the Chapelle show.
  15. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    is that the yellow genesis he was playing?

16. sg3000

Sep 18, 2005
    Actually, it's natural and flame maple with matching fingerboard. I'm usually not one for fancy woods but
    I flipped when I saw and played this bass.

He uses an Aguilar amp in the video. I've never tried one
    but it sure did sound good. I'm sure a huge portion
    of that great tone is the player, too.
  17. yeah it seemed like a Modulus Genesis, what is the name of the song they played?
  18. I'm gad to see I wasn't the only person moved by that performance. Didn't Ron Carter play on her first album?
  19. Ron Carter's played on quite literally everything ever.
  20. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I always love seeing Braylons name come up. I went to high school with him, and used to watch him play a lot at school in jazz trios and bands. Believe it or not, he smoked even then. I believe he joined Eryka shortly after HS, if not during his senior year. Im not sure if he still plays with her or not.

And PS. He does play upright, but even in HS he played more electric than upright. A great player as well, Peter Seymore was the number 1 upright player. I believe he plays with a symphony somewhere now.

We are having a 10yr HS reunion in November, I really hope both cats can make it. Booker T. Washington was really an amazing place to go to school. I wish now I had stuck with Sax and gone for that, but I was visual arts student there myself.