1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Baer ML112 VS fEARFUL 12/6

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by geddyfan, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Anybody had any experience with both ? How do they compare volume wise and tonally ?

2. Surely someone has compared the two

3. Yes, it would be a worthwhile comparison. I have not tried the Baers. I confess, I'm set on my decisions. I only use fEARful cabs. And, I risked paying for my very first fEARful cab upfront sight unseen. I did not try them out ahead of time at all. But all 3 of my cabs are permanent for me. I own a 12sub, 12/6 Cube and a 1515/66 and they were all made by the same builder - excellent craftsmanship (called JHawk Customs). I tell you that I can really lean on my fEARful cabs with a lot of power when I need to and they perform like champs. But they do very well lower power as well. I power my "66" with either 700 watts @ 4 ohms or 2000 watts at 4 ohms using my P.A. power amp. My "12 Stack" gets 500 watts at 4 ohms. And both stacks give me a whole lot of tonal versatility. Many folks frequently ring the bell in favor of fEARful here. But there is room for everybody you know? Give Baer a try too they'll be great as well. Here are my cabs and amps:

4. Art Araya

Art Araya

May 29, 2006
    Palm Coast, FL
    Try asking this in the Baer thread. You may get some responses there.

I've owned the Baer ML112 and a fEARful 12sub but not a 12/6.

5. R Baer

R Baer Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 5, 2008
    President, Baer Amplification
    The fEARful cabs use the Eminence 3012LF driver, while the ML112 uses a custom Kappalite driver that has more mids than the 3012LF and more lows than a 3012HO. The fEARful will have bigger and deeper lows and be flatter through the mids, while the ML112 will have a leaner low end and more present mids. There's a difference in the mids as well, but maybe someone like Kjung can comment on that, as I've only heard the fEARful's at NAMM, which is not a great listening environment, to say the least. IMO, the two cabs are considerably different in their execution.

6. A big +1

Further more the mid drivers are different I believe, as well as the cross overs being very different. Really the only similarities is that both are a based off of a 12" woofer and have a mid driver.

Both are great cabs that will appeal to different crowds for different reasons. The best thing to do is see if you can find someone who has these cabs near you and try one out. There are lots of facts and talking points being thrown out all the time, but your ears will steer you in the right direction.

7. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I am also running the same setup, 12/6 + 12sub, and love it. I have no desire to buy anything else, but there are alot of cool cab options these days and I am curious... just because it would be fun to experiment with other flavours. Ultimately, its a great to have all the options available, but I know what I like and I am sticking to it.

8. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    This is usually good advice. But if the OP can't find anyone here who has both cabs, what are the odds that he'll find someone near him with both cabs?

Sometimes all one can do is gather opinions and then take a leap of faith.

9. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    If you have a chance to do a GTG you may run in to
    bassist who has some of these cabs.
    I have gone to 2 New England GTG and was able to try gear that I
    never see or have a chance to sample.

10. I'm really looking for something thats puts out plenty of volume. I'm wanting to gig with my Ashdown LB. My band isn't that loud but my only small cabinet is an Orange 2x12 iso and I doubt it's vary efficient. The band plays lots of classic thru modern tunes but I like my tone a little gritty. These two cabinets seem to be the right direction and the chance to play either is slim.

11. The sp212? its horribly efficient.

Small efficient cab to make your 30 watts go far? greenboy bassic with a 3015 (non LF). It is a very efficient speaker (100.8 db/w/m) and depending on options chosen it will be light (They can come in around 35 pounds).

12. If I was gonna do a Greenboy design id prolly build it myself I don't think the basic fits into that category. The sp212 is terribly inefficient but it does sound good with the tb head.

13. If you are willing to build, I think the best bang for your buck is to build a TL-606 in 1/2" ply with additional bracing. Adjust the shelf port tuning a bit maybe to line up with the 3015 and you will have a killer cab with the LB.

14. lotusland9663

lotusland9663 Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Vancouver BC Canada
    I bought my 12/6, 12 sub from Todd on TB. His TB name is 313. He has two Baer 112's so he would be in a good position to give you a real world comparison

15. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    I'm not commenting at all on the quality of either cab because I know them both to be excellent, but it isn't really an apples/apples thing. If someone does have both and comments, you'll be finding out what they prefer, which may not be the same as what you prefer. All that to say, I'd be reading between the lines of what owners actually say each cab does for them, sonically.

16. +1

The day I win the lotto, I will own enough gear to make Bowlus envious. :D That doesnt mean every piece I would purchase would be "The best" one and only amp/cab/bass for me.

Could I get a great sound out of an SVT and two 810e cabs? you betcha. Baer Valkerie and a pile of those new ML-115's? Rock your face off. 4 fEARless 215's, a dedicated 20a circuit, and a beastly pre/power rig? Yeah that would do the trick.

Point is, if you make me pick one bass, one, amp, and one cab, my selections would be a little more thought out. What would end up being my personal "best choice" might differ from yours, or Dukeo's, or any one else... Except for Jimmy, cause I know he's going with a vintage B15 or SVT. ;)

17. Im just looking for an efficient old school sounding cabinet for a small tube amp. Would either of these even do that

18. Efficient old school?

The Baer has been described as a very good "rock" voiced cab, so that might do what you want. The 12/6 is a very full cab, and its very big down low.

For what I *think* you are looking for I would be looking at a greenboy Bassic loaded with the Faital 15PR400. Tons of old school tone, efficient driver, sweet mids, decent highs.

19. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Neither is completely old school, but the Baer is definitely tighter down low, more punchy in the low mids out of the box, and more 'organic' up top, due to the higher crossover point of the mid driver (allowing some very nice upper mids from that very 'bass guitar' friendly OEM driver based on the nice and mid present 3012HO speaker), and the very warm, organic Faital mid driver that Roger uses (which is, to my ear, the most 'natural' sounding mid driver). Roger's ML112 sounds like a 'very good bass guitar cab' versus the more PA speaker vibe of the fEARful.

However, it is still a mid driver loaded cab, which means the top end will be a bit more present and a bit cleaner than pounding a sealed, one way 10" cab, for example.

Between those two options, it would be the Baer all the way given your amp. The Baer will actually break up a touch up top when pushed, and will nicely control the big bloom you often get with an all tube power section and the voicing of those more 'traditional' amps.

In the Greenboy line, it seems the fearless 112 (a bit tighter tuning, and a more relaxed top end from what I understand... haven't played one) would probably also be a decent option for you.

That being said, from your TB name 'Geddy fan', Roger is a big fan of the Geddy/Squire grind, and the ML112 does that thing very nicely... tight, controlled low end, and a nice bright but organic and papercone sounding top end that is glorious with an overdriven roundwound J or Ric tone.

31HZ likes this.
  20. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    Would the Baer or the fEARful be 'punchier'?