Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Baewolf: worst story ever told?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Floating teetH, Aug 31, 2004.

1. I've heard character names from this story used as references in things for what seems like my whole life. I never actually read the story until English 4. Man talk about crap. This story exists for no other reason than to make the hero seem like the biggest badass imaginable, which is a pretty ridiculous thing to do since such a character NEVER EXISTED. And he doesn't defeat his enemy w/ intelligence, in fact he avoids using strategy (resulting in the deaths of two soldiers as I recall) just so that there can be no doubt that he is the ultimate super badass. No thought is put into the story at all. It's like this, for those of you who ae not familiar w/ the story. There's an evil monster killing people in some castle. They send for the hero. The hero comes and defeats the enemy w/ brute force in the lamest excuse for climax ever. Then at the end (this is the only good part) there's something like, "And all of the people in the kingdom agreed that Baewolf was most fit to rule as king, not that the current king wasn't good," or something equally silly, like the writer's are worried that the reader might feel sorry for the king...........what an awful poorly thought out story. If not for this story, I bet the stories of today would be much better.

Good day

2. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    There are tons of versions. Some are good, some aren't.

3. damn

4. no, there are tons of translations. big difference.

you have to realize that the ideal hero used to be very different. bragging, taunting your enemies and stealing from their corpses increased your honor. i'd tell you to read the iliad for further examples but something tells me you'd never get through the first book...

5. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    do you mean beowulf? :rolleyes:

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Yeah, well I'm already on the second book! Huzzah! Only...twenty two more to go.

That said, any book that's translated can become awful -- the only way to get what the author really intended without some middleman interpretation is to learn the language and read the book in its native state.

7. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Did you expect it to be good? Give it a break it was writtin 1000 years ago.

8. BEOWULF is a classic of tale of human triumph over forces that, at the time, seemed incomprehenisible and insurmountable, and inspired many of YOUR ancestors (assuming you are of European descent) to acheive MORE than was thought possible in Their Time! Enkidu. Gllgamesh, Maui, Queztlcoatyl, and a host of other names from what we now classify as Mythology may never have existed as real people, but there were those that came before you whose lives were inspired and enriched by the heroic tales of these heroic figures. It doesn't MATTER whether or not They were Real - their sprirt IS REAL if you let it BE REAL

Free Your Mind

9. I read it when I was in primary school and found it intresting. I think i read it twice, don't know what version though.

10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    So far, the Iliad has beaten the pants off of Lord of the Rings (which is also awesome), and it was written thousands of years ago. Just because something's old doesn't mean it can't be fantastic.

11. Taunting and stealing from corpses are understandable. Being a tard and getting people killed....whole other story. Besides, the Iliad has appeal (at least it did when I was twelve or so) because it's more violent.

12. yeah! screw history!!!!

sorry, i like beowulf. i read it in context though. people back then didn't have x-box...all they had was a game where one would have to sit at their tv with paddles in hand, trying desparately to hit the little dot on the screen to the other side, and hopefully their opponent would miss, thus gaining a "point"
    the loser would then be tied into a boat and sent off west to be slayed by Odin.

but seriously. people weren't as hard to amuse back then. all people did was work.

anyways, its part of history!

13. Beowueoullf isn't really history. It may have been important to people in historical times, but it isn't really history, nor is it half as interesting as the story of Tycho Brahe, who was a real person., And whatabout how Sir Francis Drake defeated the Spanish Armada, huh? That was far more intuitive, and it involves fire, which people like.

14. Beowulf is historic because its the oldest fiction piece known written in the english language. Yes I realized the original version wasn't written in english, but the translation is the earliest piece of fiction ever written in the english language, and thats why its historic.

15. HistorIC

16. Hooray for ignoring my point and correcting a spelling error. You're a real champ.

17. I don't see any spelling error. I was pointing out that history (meaning stuff that actually happened and is relevent for that reason) is is the word I used, and you said historic, which seems a little different.

I am a champ. thanx

18. Seems the same to me. It's still an important part of history IMO. I had to study it last year and I hated it too, so I know what you're going through.

Oh and I hope the "champ" comment didn't come off as too condescending...I can be a bit of an ass sometimes. Sorry.

19. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Your castigation of the historical basis of English literature would
    move me, if I thought that you had scholarly knowledge of the roots
    early literature, the Saga and Eddas, or the
    Kalevala, or other songs, chants and verbal history or Europe, finally
    written down, by literate scholars 700 years ago and more. Many
    people have earned graduate degrees studying the nuances of history
    and the wealth of culture depicted in these stories.

There are many historical non English documents that are of the same
    age or earlier, people often celebrated the lives of important people
    through stories of heroic acts.

Many of us start to understand modern history with these documents.

Do your homework, and stop whining ....

Burning of Njal is a good book, nothing like burning our enemies in their houses... Icelanders can be bad enemies...
    what's your home address?

20. Apology accepted. They are basically the same word,, or at least they're analogous.

I forgot to include the second part w/ the monster's mom in my summary. Does that techninally qualify as a different story?

Thor, I don't remember any whining (maybe I used caps too much) but it sure seems I've hit a nerve.

edit(jt): respect for all members, bud. that means no name calling. if you have an issue with thor, take it private.

In my mind, an enemy isn't someone who has differing opinions from my own as far as really old stories

can anybody else say issues?