1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Baffling (possibly great deal) Craigslist ad. Warwick content.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BadJazz, Apr 30, 2015.

1. BadJazz

BadJazz Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Eugene, Oregon
    If this is in the wrong forum I apologize, but I can't quite figure out where else to put it. Anyhow, I have nothing at all to do with this Warwick ad, and am not going to pursue the bass as I have other things to pay for.

That said, here is the ad:

Warwick Thumb BO 5 string, fretless bass.

warwick.

I don't think this is one of those random spam ads that pop up in random locations. Those usually show vintage gear at really low prices and you can find the text and pictures on expired ebay listings, or elsewhere on the web. Neither the description or pictures showed up like they usually would when I searched. So this is either a decent deal on a Corvette Standard (unless it's a rockbass), or a really good deal if the pictures are wrong and it really is a 5-string Thumb BO.

I've posted a RE: ad about it but haven't contacted the seller. Also Glide is a really small little town an hour from anywhere so it seems possible that someone with very little knowledge of this just grabbed images from the web that looked close enough.

2. I use to live in Roseburg, maybe 30-45 mins from Glide. To bad I am 800 miles from there now, thats a killer deal if true.

3. Tbone76

Tbone76

Aug 24, 2013
    Upstate, NY
    I think it's a Corvette, not a Thumb. The pic doesn't show the whole upper horn, but the body shape and pup placement isn't right for a Thumb Bass.

4. bpclay1

bpclay1

Jul 3, 2014
    Is this a joke? It's a corvette. It's a four string. And may not have been much more than $700 new.

And comparing it to the grain on my bass and my limited carpentry experience, it almost looks like it has water damage.... Probably not though

5. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    That's just the normal woodgrain on the top. But yeah, it's a Corvette, no doubt.

6. bpclay1

bpclay1

Jul 3, 2014
    Mines got much straighter consistent grain, never that dark... Maybe it is a pro series with a better cut of wood? Or just different...

These days it seems unlikely that someone would sooner find pictures of uses basses on the internet rather than take their own. And even less likely that if they did, and we assume the googled Warwick thumb, they wouldn't find a corvette and decide that was the one.

Also, there's one locally that actually is a thumb for $700. It's glossy though... Don't know what that means

My bet is if you go to buy that bass, you will most likely get ruined and murdered

7. TechJunky

TechJunky

Aug 31, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    That's a Corvette Standard, it has a Just-A-Nut II (not III), and looks to have at least 3 different brands of strings on it. Either they don't know jack about basses and assumed the shape is close enough and think it's a Thumb (but clearly didn't read the truss rod cover), or they're trying to take someone for a fool and rip them off. They just copied the info from Warwick's site from the German made pro series, which are just rolling out so I wouldn't bet any money that this is a used one of those (and if it were the older Korean made Pro Series, it would have a maple neck). $700 for a fretless Corvette Standard is average. Not a terrible deal, but I see them sell for less often enough that, unless you're truly lusting after one in the worst way, I'd hold off and look around for a better deal.

And bpclay1, Warwick has used the same type of wood but had it look very different among nearly all their models throughout the years. My first Corvette Standard bubinga I had was extremely swirly (almost a pommele look to it) even though it was the same wood. The Thumb NT I just sold was the same wood (Bubinga) as many other Thumb NT's I've seen, yet it was highly figured as well, whereas others are straight grained and more bland looking. All depends on the years and the woods they had available/chose to use at the time of construction I think. No water damage or issues, just a different appearance.