Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bag End 15 + Epifani T110???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brock29609, Jul 13, 2005.

1. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I've searched high and low and there's not a lot of info here on the Epifani 1X10. What do experienced users have to say about the combo mentioned above? I'm looking for fat yet focused, so I'm thinking of taking a fat-sounding cab (the Bag End 15) and pairing it with the 110. Anyone tried this?

2. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    i have not. However I just bought a BE s15-d. I have heard Epifani/Bag End is quite a nice combo. I'm fantasizing about getting the UL212 to go with it, but funds are kinda tight. Anyway, I started a tread regarding cab recommendations to go with it which you might find usefull. link

3. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I have a pair of BE 15's now, but I'm looking for a smaller, more portable option. I'm keeping both my BE's, but want a small cab to go with one of them. Since one of my BE's has a tweeter and the other does not, this new small cab I'm looking for doesn't necesarrily need a horn. I can get the highs from a BE cab.

4. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Not to derail your thread...but out of curiosity how do you like that combo s15-d & s15x-d?? I'm probably going w/that combo, Do you find it has a full enough range?

Ask IvanMike about BE+Epifani...he said a BE 15 w/ their 2x10 sounds amazing.

5. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Answer: HELL yes.

The BE 210 only comes in 4 ohm and it's heavier than what I'm looking for. I'm building beefy, yet tiny rig to go with my 15 x 2 setup.

6. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Thanks for the link, jokerjkny. Very informative.

Any other comments about the Epifani + Bag End? Keep in mind I'm strictly a 4-banger. I have no interest in how something handles a low B.

7. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I was refering to the Epi 210...sorry should've been more specific.

I think I'm sold on the 2 BE 15s rig...Everyone's saying what a killer setup that is. I get my s15-d this sunday...I can't wait! :hyper:

8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    unfortunately i've never been able to try an epi 1x10 with a bag end S15.

however, i've found that all of epifani's 10" cabs tend to sound rather alike, the major difference (besides volume), being that the bass response improves with larger cabinet size.

So, I'd have to think that the epi 1x10 paired with the bag end S15 would sound rather similar to the 210 + BE. As I noted, the epi has really airy highs and stronger lows (although the 1x10 won't be quite as low), and has "refined" mids, while the BE has punchy lows and aggressive mids. Together they seem to sound very cool.

I have to admit, I'm a big fan of combining dissimilar sounding cabinets, and I also tend to overseason my food. :smug:

9. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    ...but the D10B-X is freakin' awsome! I'm the JBL bigot that pretty much hates 10's ... So I snagged this cab from Jerry Jean. It simply rocks. Now I have to talk him out of his BE 2x12 cab ... (fat chance...)

10. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Bought a UL110 and it will be here tomorrow. Can't wait to hear how it sounds sitting on the BE 15.

11. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Cool, I cant wait for a review. Something tells me BE and Epi will make a fine pair :D

12. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    OK the Epifani UL110 arrived today. It stacks nicely on top of the Bag End S15D, and under my Genz-Benz GBE600 head. I was worried that the small box would cause instability, but it’s more than fine. Looks normal too (sorry, no photo right now).

First of all, you just can’t appreciate how light 22 lbs. is until you pick it up. WOW! Like a feather. The crappy little handle at the top is more than sufficient.

Comparison :
    (Bag End S15D + S15XD vs. S15D + Epifani UL110)

Compared to my double Bag End 15 stack, this smaller stack with the 110 actually sounds deeper/bassier. I think the Bag End S15XD is a better full range cab than the Epifani 110, but it's really not a fair fight due to size. The 110 to me has a nasal character that every neo speaker I’ve heard has (only other experience was a DeltaLite 12). The double 15’s are midrangy, buttery fat and HUGE sounding. The smaller stack is deep and precise. My personal tone preference favors the 2x15 stack, but the smaller stack sounds great too. My preference may change in a band setting. I’ve only played both soloed at living room volumes. The 110 + 15 may cut through better and change my preference. We’ll see.

So which would I rather lug around a play? The smaller stack, definitely. The benefits of portability far out weigh the tone differences. Again, my opinions may change once I crank it up and play in a band setting.

13. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Yea Man, great review!!!
    I am a firm believer in multiple smaller cabs!! It allows for easier transport, more versatility in stage set-up and positioning, and just sounds great!
    I think the BE 15 is a great compliment to any rig. For me it's all about the mid range. I find that I don't need to boost my mids as much when I use it, having the extra mids "voiced" in the cab makes them more natural sounding, yet still very effective. IMO, the cab is so musical sounding, it's only going to add to your tone quality, not subtract. $$ for $$ it's got to be one of the best values out there!!

14. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Sounds awesome. I'm suprised that the smaller stack sounds deeper. I could imagine the precision the Epi adds to the mix...I'm sure it'll cut through with ease.

I just got my S15-d this past sunday, I paired it up with my Genz Benz 115t-b and it sounds amazing! Its so responsive and fast. It really brought out the punch and definition I was looking for in my rig. The mids are so smooth and the lows are very tight, yet huge at the same time. The BE is very musical, really a fantastic sounding cab. It cuts through with such authority- I love it.

The Epifani UL212 really has my attention. I've never played through one, but I'd love to hear how it pairs up w/ a BE s15-d.

15. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Just wait until you try the S15X-D. It's even more so.

Amen on the comment on the mids. It's all about the mids and how you sit in the mix. High mids, low mids... love'm. I won't own a head that can't control both independently.

Strong low mids put hair on your chest!

On another note, I'm a tad bit disappointed with neo magnet speakers. They all sound like the won't 'open up' to me. I wish I scored the T110 on ebay instead of the UL110, but I'm still happy.

16. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I take back what I said about the smaller stack being deeper. The 15s are bassier, but also more full range. The 15s are more of everything, if that makes sense.

[​IMG]

17. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Finally played the rig with a guitar player and drumer. I'm in love. It sounds super fat, but still cuts through great. Not too bassy, just right. Man, is this a great sounding and very portable rig. PLENTY lound enough too. Barely got my volume knob to 9 o'clock, and the drummer was much louder than average.

18. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Sounds like a winning combination! I could definitely see those two cabs getting along quite well.

Enjoy!

Tom.