Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bag End 15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Steve S, May 15, 2001.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Has anyone used a single Bag End 15 in a gig? If so, what kind of amp did you use? I've been trying to figure out the best way to go without carrying a lot of weight. I've used combos for awhile (Ampeg B100R) but 65 pounds at the end of the evening gets kind of heavy.

I also have the Workingman's 10 and coupled it with the Bag End 15 but it wasn't enough power to be heard above the drummer.

2. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    I use my Bag End 15 with a Peavey Firebass as my main gig rig. It is plenty loud and clear. Though I think the Firebass weighs more than the cabinet. I get plenty of volume and tone from this rig. If I need more power, I bring a Genz Benz 2-12 cabinet as well.

Sometimes I use a SWR WM 300 in practice and it sounds good, just not as much headroom.

I am surprised that the combination you tried wasn't loud enough, since the Bag End has a pretty high efficiency rating. Your drummer must be loud as hell.

I have had an Ampeg b100r for about five years now, and I still use that quite a bit. I have abused that amp but it has held up pretty well. It can be a bit heavy.

3. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000

Thanks for the quick reply. The Bag End 15 is a light cabinet. Is 300 watts inadequate headroom or is it because it's SWR?

I thought that the combination of the WM 10 and the Bag End 15 was enough too but the singer said that he couldn't hear me very well. Our drummer does play loud and we're working on him to listen to the dynamics of the song.

4. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I use a single Bag End 15 in combination with a Hartke 3500. This gives me 240 watts @ 8 ohms; I rarely have to crank the master volume above 5.

How many watts does the WM10 put out with an extension? I'm guessing it's around 100 somewhere... (given that the WM15 puts out around 200 with an extension)... that may not be enough to be heard over a very loud drummer.

5. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    The WM 10 puts out 100 watts with an extension speaker. It's a fine amp for playing with other musicians without drums.

I'll check out the Hartke 3500.

6. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    TAB,

I've been thinking of getting one of those because they weigh only 5 pounds. Do they push 120 watts into an 8 ohm speaker?