Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bag end 15's Low end goin' out the back?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cb56, Jan 15, 2002.

1. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I've had my 2 Bag End S15D's for about three months now and i am having trouble getting that low end oomph to be heard on the dance floor like I want. Our PA system isn't the greatest in the world so I would like my rig to cover the dance floor at least on small-med gigs. The BE's cut through fine but it seems I hear mostly mids and high mids. I can't seem to fix it just by adding more lows with my amp, That just seems to muddy it up. I have been using the cabs stacked on top of each other with an Ampeg B4r amp. I have tried putting both BE's on the floor and my carvin 210 cab on top and that seems to help alot. I guess what I am wondering is if the fact that the BE's are rear ported is what's causing me to lose the low end on the dance floor. The carvin 210 is front ported btw. I am thinking about upgrading to another 210 cab (4ohm) and am wondering if I should get a Bag End 210 which is also rear ported or something else that is front ported. Or should I throw it all away and start over with some back breaking cab like an Ampeg 6x10? suggestions?

sorry for the ramble

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Don't forget, ports are omnidirectional.

Cruise, what kind of power are you throwing?

3. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    hmmm.... you may have hit on something here. I've noticed that I really like the sound of my speakers (any of them) when they are being driven real hard like with the amp cranked more than 1/2 way up. My amp is capable of 1000 watts bridged. It has two 350 watt power sections into 4 ohms. The way I'm using it now is amp#1 has the 2 Bag Ends at 175 watts each and amp 2 has the carvin 210 at 350 watts. Maybe I should crank the amp all the time and adjust my volume with how many speaker cabs I hook up to it. Sounds kind of wierd but could work.

4. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I know that's what I 've heard (and who am I to doubt) but I am hearing the low end fine on stage and have noticed that where I stand makes a big difference in how much low end I am hearing. In front of, behind, next to, 10 feet away at 45 degree angle etc....

5. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I have also thought about bridging 1000 watts into the 2 cabs but it's a little frightening. I know, I know you've all explained this to me before:eek:

6. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    What about isolating your cabs from the floor? I scavenged some high-density foam rubber from a SWR cab box to try this, but haven't done it yet.

Dying to know how much power Cruise is using - my new DCM1000 (ordered today, finally!) goes 225W stereo at 8 / 1000W bridged at 4.

7. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    And, if I run my current one cab at 700W bridged, I'll be able to fit the cone shreds into the end of a bag!

8. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I used to run by 15-D's through an Ampeg SVT3pro.

Now I run them through a QSC1602 and it makes
    a big difference.

I don't get the low-end grunt of an Ampeg
    refrigerator, however, and boy, I should would
    like to.

Would I rather have an Ampeg SVT410-HLF?
    Yes, but only if you'll carry it for me! ;-)

9. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Yeah, it does - 700W at 8 Ohms bridged, and 1KW at 4 Ohms bridged. Based on your experience, this rig is gonna ROCK! I can't wait until I can afford the second Bag End...

10. CB56 - go for the 1000 bridged. It may sound scary, but it is actually safer than running it with less power and cranked more, wher ethe amp is working harder. If your rig is reasonably quiet, running with your amp's volume cranked and your pre as main volume may get you better transients too, IMHO and experience.

11. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    That's my experience too.
    I hear most low end when I stand beside my amp or not more than 3 feet before it - or even behind it - and my cab is front-ported.
    Don't know how it sounds more than 10 feet away though, I have not tried this yet.
    So I guess this phenomenon is due to room acoustics (and has nothing to do with port position)

Lifting the cab from the floor really kills low end - I only do this if necessary because of bad acoustics on stage.

Matthias

12. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have a Bag End too and powering it with the Ashdown MAG 400. It puts out 200 watts with one cab. I also don't feel the low end so am looking at the Peavey 410's. So a more powerful amp will make the speaker sound better?

13. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    ok so I ran out today at lunch and got 2 speaker cables with banana plugs on both ends. let's make sure I'm doing this right. connected one cable to the two red outlets on my amp just like the manual said, in bridge mode of course. run the other end of that cable to bag end #1. piggy back cable #2 with that one and run it to Bag End #2 Right? crank it and BLAM!!! 500 watts to each cabinet :D

14. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Hey cb56-
    So what happened? Let us know if the extra power helps these cabs. I am thinking about picking up a S15 and am wondering about the low end in a cab so small. Did the extra power fatten them up?

15. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Just from playing them at home that way I can definatley say yes. I have two gigs this weekend and will try it out. But I would say yes louder and a little beefier bass response.

16. The S15D is spec'd at -6dB at 50 Hz. Calculated estimates put it down -9dB at low E and -13dB at lowB.

This cab doesn't HAVE any bottom end by design.
    It is a single 15" at 103 SPL, and obviously designed to be very loud.

17. Check out the Acme site. www.acmebass.com

There is an article published there that talks about port placement and why it doesn't matter. Check it out, it's good reading, at least for techies like me.

Tom