bag end 4x10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joshua Pickenpaugh, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    The Midwest of USA
    How would you compare the Bag End 4x10 with the Eden 4x10? I've got a 700 watt Woods head that I'm currently using with a couple Acme 2x10's. Comments on warmth, volumn, efficiency and such would be much appreciated. Thanks all!
  2. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    hi -

acme delivers the lows and colorless tone, but comes
    up short on volume.

bag end is pretty hi-fo/colorless with a pinch of
    warmth, but will provide alot more volume. the 4x10
    will also be quite a bit more punchy than the acmes.

consider two bag end S-15D's?
  3. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Captain Wally, I have a Bag End S15D with the Ashdown MAG 400. I was thinking about getting a 4x10 because the drummer complained to me last nite that he couldn't hear me. Do you recommend that I get another Bag End S15D instead?
  4. lowfreqguy

Oct 18, 2000
    I have two S15-XDs and have gotten a lot of positive comments on both volume and tone. Getting the second one up and off the ground seems to help(in a mini stack) seems to help with projection.
  5. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    I've had two Eden 410XLT's and now I have a Bag End Q10X-D. The comparison is that the Eden, while it sounded good, contributed a certain color to the sound. Not a bad color, but either you like it or you don't prefer it. I don't think anyone could hate the Eden sound. The Bag End is totally different. To say that it is more Hi Fi is to mean that the color that Eden has isn't there. The Bag End can project across oceans. It is loud and will very accurately articulate what you're playing. There isn't the low mid coloration in the Bag's that youll hear in the Eden's. The Bag Ends are clean, and somewhat sterile in comparison, but I actually PREFER the Bag's to the Eden cab's. Just a more true reprduction of sound from the Bag Ends as opposed to the Edens. Plus, the Coaxial Tweeter has no control knob. It's frequency range is set in the cross-over. You will never need to adjust it. It's always just right. The highs are really bright and snappy and the lows that the cab are capable of are clear, honest, and did I mention LOUD!!! The cab has an RMS (at least mine does) of 800 W and a peak of 1600W. So throw all you've got at it. It'll throw it back at ya in spades!! I powered my 8 ohm Bag End with a Stewart World 2.1 which put out 1350 W at 8 ohms in Bridge. The Bag took it all and I always had to be told to turn it down. It never farted, always came through clear. I still have it for sale, but you don't want to buy it because I'd have to ship it from Hawaii. The cab's one drawback is it's weight. I have one of the older models that is onoy 12 inches deep, and that thing weighs 98 pounds!!! I used to have two of them. NOT LIGHT AT ALL!!!
  6. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
  7. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Like the gentleman said, it's hard to know if the
    additional cabinet would be enough or not.

I can tell you that the difference between one 8 ohm
    Bag End 15 and two Bag End 15's running at 4 ohms
    will be *HUGE*!

I recommend it.
  8. I use a Bag End S15-D and S12-D powered by an SWR Sm400s (500watts @ 4 ohms) or an Ampeg B2r (350 watts @ 4 ohms) either way volume has never been a problem playing with 2 guitars ,keys. and a miked drummer, large or small venues the bags work well.
  9. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    hmm.... you guys using all that power into your bag end 15s makes me wonder if I should bridge my Ampeg b4r into my 2 bag end 15s. That would be 1000 watts into 4 ohms. Wouldn't that blow my speakers? They are rated at 200 watts each. I haven't been brave enough to try bridging the amp yet. I guess I'm chicken. could I use a banana plug out of the amp to one speaker cab then a 1/4 inch from one speaker to the other?
  10. have a bag end 4x10 w/ tweeter and it is excellent. I got a great deal on it used and it gives the cleanest tone possible (especially through my GK head). I am thinking of adding a 15 or 18 eventually for some more lows even though this is already one of the deepest 4x10s ive played through.
  11. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    The BagEnd 15 I have is rated at 200watts. It could be blown easily if I had CS's power going inot it. How do you prevent blowing it. I was thinking of moving up to 700+ watts from my 350. I intended to get a 410 with the 115 I have, but even 400watts per speaker would be pushing the 115 over the top. Can it be prevented?
  12. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
  13. Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    1000 watts would be very good for a pair of Bag End S15-D. I think the point you're all missing is that an amp rated at 1000 watts doesn't put out 1000 watts all the time. That's only the maximum power it can deliver, and that rarely happens (if it does, you have problems!) So in practice, you're only delivering 1 to 10 to 100 watts to your speakers.

Let's say your car has a maximum speed of 130 MPH. Does that mean every time you drive it, you are going 130 MPH? Same thing with an amp - the max power rating is simply the most power it can deliver, if pushed to the limit.

The rule of thumb is to use an amp whose RMS power rating is is 1.5 to 2 times that of the speaker's RMS power rating. So for two 200 watt Bag Ends, which total 400 watts, an 800 watt amp is ideal. A 1000 watt amp is more than ideal. You just don't turn it up to 10, that's all!

Hope this clears things up a bit for you.
  14. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Thanks nightbass. Yes that does make alot of sense. Now I need to figure out what cables to use. the Ampeg B4r needs a banana or speakon cable to bridge but my Bag ends only have one banana jack and two 1/4 jack each. I'm thinking going banana jack from amp to speaker cab #1 then 1/4 from cab #1 to cab#2 don't know if this will work. I think a call to bass NW is in order
  15. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I think that'll work. I think you can piggy back banana jacks too, so you don't have to use 1/4 in jacks.
  16. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Man, that Mario guy really nailed the difference between the Bag Q10 and the D410xlt. He took the word right out of my mouth.

When I was shopping for a new 4x10 cab it was a tough decision between the Aguilar and the Bag End. I really love the other Bag End cabs that I have and I really like the companies customer service. Bag Ends warranty is about the best there is. 6 years! And they take it very seriously. ;) Eden's warranty is 2 years.

I really am crazy about my Aguilar GS410 (another really great company with a 4 year warranty on their cabs) and great customer service. But I'm sure I would have been happy with the Bag End Q10 if the Aguilars weren't around. my 2 cents!