Bag End & Acme

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SCT1422, Apr 27, 2002.

1. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

Goodday... Has anybody ever compared the two side by side... I currently use 2 of the Bag End S-15D's and I'm thinking of going back to some 2x10's... I use a Sansamp RBI preamp into a QSC PLX-2402... My group plays all kinds of styles of music... I love the Bag Ends amd may just add the Acme's or more some of the Euphonic Audios... Any help would be appreciated... Steven...
  2. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Well, I guess I can comment since I used to own 2 Bag End S-15D's and an Acme Low B2.

I sold them all.

The S-15D's I found light and portable and loud. No low end and a harsh (but loud) midrange. Pretty hi-fi and clear, but I am looking for more of a round, scooped, BASS tone.

The Acme I found to be a pain in the arse. You have plenty of power for it, but I still found it too quiet for practical application. It totally delivers the lows, but it's quite a bit 'murkier' than the Bags (less hi-fi), though it's purveyed as a 'flat sound'.

My feeling about flat/hi-fi? Who cares? I want something that sounds good in the mix, not in my living room by itself.

P.S. I use the QSC1602 with an Aguilar 659 pre.

I now use 2 SWR Jr. 2x10's. It's not that they are the holy grail of sound, but they are the best combination of portability and sound I could find. They've got enough volume, a scooped bass sound with the lows I like, and glassy highs (though I turn the attenuator on the horn WAY down), they weigh in at 55lbs and fit in my trunk, and I paid ~$325 for each used/excellent. Most of the time I can get away with using one.
  3. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    Hey Wally how's it going.

You did have some influence on me after our last talk I ended up picking up a used SWR Golliath Jr. I'm still wondering what to pair it with. I was talking to Lord Valve and he suggested the Acme stuff. He also suggested the PLX2402. After logging onto Acme's site I see why. Those Acme's require gobs of power. Are you sure you had enough to get the ones you had going? Like you, I found the S15D's to be lacking bottom but I felt the Bagend S15BD to have the bottom all be it in a much larger box. All in all I'd like to hear what the Acmes can do because I thing that given enough power they would have the lows and that's where I'm stuck.

I will say this that I couldn't imagine using only the S15D's. Withouth the coax or some tens to flesh out the sound. All 15's just sound too muddy. I really missed the 10's when I was out trying 15's alone.

Just my thoughts. Hope it helps.
  4. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Cheers, Kurt.

Yeah, for the most part, I used only 450w (only!) for the 4 ohm Acme I owned.

It did have a very nice tone with serious lows, but folks here will tell you, no matter how much power you have, it won't have serious volume.

I did try it with a bigger power amp once, and got better results, but still no serious volume. Better tone, I'd say though.

You know, paired with a louder cab like the SWR, it might be pretty cool! You'd have to try it.

I just figured if one SWR was good, two is better :)
  5. Steven,

I demo'd both as well as Eden XLT, SWR and Ampeg. (I am fortunate to be on good terms with a couple of music stores!) I absolutely love the sound of the Acmes with my Sadowsky. I have 2 Low B2s powered by a QSC PLX 2402 and a Kern preamp. Plenty of volume, stable and articulate low B and a very smooth response that sits wonderfully in the mix. I thought the Bag Ends were too compressed.

I have never been in a resonable situation where I did not have enough volume.

Of course, your mileage may vary...

Good luck!
  6. SCT1422

Hey thanx guys... Jeff, I'm thinking of going the same route as you... I'm looking for a Kern preamp.. I've tried to get ahold of the guys at Kern via e-mail and a few calls, but no such luck... I may also just get another DB-659... I'm not sure on that aspect as of yet... I'm going to go ahead and try the Acme side by side with the Bag End... Once again thanx guys and Jeff I just got back from a gig where I used both of my Sadowskys... Great basses, I especially love my PJ-5... Steven...
  7. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Why not just get a Bag End 2x10? Though I have'nt played ont myself, I hear they're really nice, and I might be heading that direction myself. Anyone else with experience/ownership like to chime in on the Bag End 2x10/4x10? Please?
  8. SCT1422

Hey coyoteboy... I use to have 2 of the 10BX-D's.. They were excellent full range cabs... The one thing I did not like was there wasn't an attenuater or adjustment for the co-axial... The low end was great, you never had to worry about being constipated around those cabs (thats probably why my drummer always had to take a dump in between sets).... I'm probably going to tryout one of the Acmes and a few different preamps... Steven...
  9. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Thanks Steven and Josh. I was actually thinking of the non-coax versions of these 10" cabs, for use with a little more tube grunt and grind (via an IOD) with the Chapman Stick on the way...(ssshhh). The 6k top end spec for these cabs leads me to think that these with have a really good top end for a tweeterless cab, as guitar speakers typically top out at about 5k or so. Then again these are specs, and we all know better than to buy based on specs...don't we?
  10. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Coyoteboy-Depending on which pickup you get on your Stick you might find that you'd miss the tweeter. I've got a 10-string with the standard pickup and I've found the tweeters on my SWR 1x15 and 2x10 really help bring out the upper harmonic structure and add to the clarity, even though I barely have a little bit of the horn dialed in. It makes more of a difference with the lower strings on the bass side where the tension is higher.

Which model are you getting? I've got a 2001 purpleheart 10 with heavy Baritone Melody tuning and I couldn't be happier.

I've had pretty good results running the melody side through a Carvin 1x12 tube guitar amp. In my experience guitar speakers tend to have more top-end sparkle than bass speakers with similar specs, but of course YMMV.

I'd suggest waiting 'til you've got your Stick in hand before buying equipment to go with it. It's hard to know whether you want to go stereo or mono, 1 or 2 amps, etc. until you've tried the different options. If you're getting one of the passive pickups a very high impedance (5-10 Megohm) stereo preamp like a Rane SP-13 or Raven Labs PMB-1 can help you get the best signal.

I've gotten my Stick to sound great whether running through my home stereo, a headphone amp, or my Mesa-Boogie Bass 400, but I'm thinking of getting either the Bag End coax 15 or the Euphonic Audio coax 12 to go with one of the above preamps and a portable power amp. I like the sound of the Acmes I've heard other people use but I have no desire for such a power-hungry beast myself.
  11. LJW

Feb 8, 2002
    northeastern pa.
    I run one Bag End D10BD on each side of a PLX2402.

(I agree with Josh is usually enough.)

I like them.