Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bag End - adding a 2x10 or a 1x12 to my 1x15?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, May 18, 2002.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Now that I'm close to pulling the trigger on a second Bag End S15-D, I'm starting to get cold feet.

I've recently been playing a lot of 2x10s and 4x10s in stores, and I really like their punchiness. And, all this talk lately about 12s has me intrigued - I wonder if a single 12 could add the punch I seek.

I think I need to demo four rigs before I plunk down - my current S15-D with each of:

1) a second S15-D;
    2) a S15X-D;
    3) a D10B-D; and
    4) a S12-D.

Comments from the crowd? Anyone been there / done that? I remember at least one person (from MI?) that runs a S15-D with a S12-D...

2. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Rick Rice! That's who it was!

3. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    H-D your right, there are many new 12's on the market which should make for intresting auditioning. I'm still amazed by the tonal versatility of my D10B-X when combined with an adequate power source. In particular are the soft but very extended highs produced by their Coaxial driver/crossover.

A friend of mine has been using the S15B-D/S15X-D for over a year now in a loud guitar band and he's very happy with the setup.

4. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm a little scared of the coaxials. I don't slap, and I'm afraid all they'll do for me is show off my finger noise!

5. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I've been having an extended off-list discussion with azbass (Howard), where we've been feeding each other's amp/cab GAS. Today, he made a comment about his cab search that made me think - what effect is elevation going to have on my rig?

So, at his suggestion, I raised my 1x15 up on a stepbox - only about 6" or 8" off the carpeted floor. What a difference! Less bass, but much more punch and definition. I've read about floor coupling, but never before experienced its effects to this extent.

So, I still want to try out each of the above cabs, but now I feel better about the idea of a second S15-D. I suspect I'd be getting added punch from the upper cab and bass thump from the lower.

Sound right?

6. Heavy, check your PM

7. extreme

extreme

Mar 20, 2000
    I'm using a D10X-D with an S15-D and it's a great combination! I like the punch of the 2x10" and the coaxial speaker is much smoother than the tweeters, so I wouldn't hesitate because of that.

Now, there are lots of guys using two S15-D's with no complaints, so I don't think you can go wrong either way. I got a sweet deal on the 2x10" and it's the older model that has a 12" depth, so I didn't really lose much in portability compared to a second 15".

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If I were you, there's no way I'd do anything but add the 210. That 12 will just give you more mush. I don't like 15's either, but putting two 10's on top seems to clear up the whole mess. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts. See below.

[​IMG]

9. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Heavy, that is my cab combination. I have the S15D-B and D10B-D. The 210 is a bit smaller than the 115 which is about 3-4" deeper. I didn't want the coax either because that is a 4ohm cab instead of 8 like the 115. I have 2 8ohm cabs. They really match up well. I wanted a smooth buttery sound. I looked at the Edens too, they were a bit harsh IMO. I tried not to be biased, I did not intend to get BagEnd on BagEnd. I got the 115 first because it was the best value for a 115 I could get at the time and perfromed just as well as others priced higher. I got the 210 because it really pulled up my mids clearly without any hiss.

Let me know what you do. I recommend them. You may want to look at your power though. Both are only rated for 200watts each. You could probably get a more efficient cab or even a louder one. I also don't like carpeted cabs in general. They get to smelling like cigarettes.

Good luck.

10. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Oh, hear's a pic in case you haven't seen any rig threads lately:[​IMG]

11. LJW

LJW

Feb 8, 2002
    northeastern pa.
    ZuluFunk,

Your D10BD is 8 ohm / 200 watts?

.....btw, I also froze playing outside saturday..

....ugh

12. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Hey, I wanted to stick around but I was really pissed at they guys who asked me to play with them. I'll PM you. Sorry if I was a d-head. I know I was.

13. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Update: I spoke with Gabe at BassNW today regarding the effect of adding a second S15-D. He stated that's one of their most popular rigs, and a favorite of BassNW employees. The second cab makes everything both deeper and punchier.

I still want to test other cabs, but I'm feeling better about my original plan to stick to a pair of S15-Ds.

14. boobinga

boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I've heard the double Bag End 15 set up and I like the sound. Also I heard a guy that had the coax 15 mixed with the regular 15 and it sounded good also. I know some people don't like 15s, but let your ears be the judge!

15. Tens are for slappers imo, I like a little bit of push in my signal but as someone who plays mostly fingerstyle I like to get the feeling of my notes at a fuller headroom... So I prefer twelves or fifteens as the main speakers in my system. I do agree a ten would be more fundamental for his rig right now but an extra fifteen would provide more volume.

16. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I did the dirty deed...and ordered a second S15-D from BNW today. I'll probably pick it up at the factory later this week.

Thanks for all the handholding, guys!

17. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    It's here...:D :D :D

18. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Give us an update after you gig with the 2 Bag Ends together. Are you going to Bridge your carvin 1000 into them? Since I'm not going to be selling mine ;) I decided to run my B4r (1000watts bridged ) into my 2 Bag End 15's at my gig last night. At first I was worried about the speakers handling that much power. HA! They took everything I could throw at them and sounded great. But i did start to worry about my amp. At the end of the first set I though I smelled something hot! I put my hand on the front of the amp and it was pretty darn hot. Even the SKB rack case it's mounted in was hot! after our usual 20 min break it was cool again but heated up by the end of each set. Probably hot enough to cook eggs over easy. :eek: Is this normal for a SS amp to get that hot? Anyway I'll probably haul the old back breaker (ampeg 610hlf) out tonight. and run it at 1000 watts. Got plenty of equipment, might as well burn some of it up :D

19. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Chris, it'll be awhile before I drag them out of the house - I'm not in a band, but my guitarist and I are probably going to start occasionally playing in his garage when the weather's nice. His basement stairs are no fun at all, which is why I leave Farboozle's old Peavey 2x8+1x15 cab and my G-K 400RB down there all the time.

After an hour or so of practice play last night, I'm convinced: 1 + 1 does in fact = 3. The increase in both bass response and midrange punch/clarity is much more than I expected. Woohoo!

I'm running my Carvin bridged at 4 Ohms, so I'm getting the same 1000W as you were last night. I noticed no overheating, but an hour's practice does not equal a gig set! Do you have any power amps available to you for a gig test? Bag Ends have a rep of loving power (but not needing it like Acmes ;) ).

You have a great wife, BTW - I'm glad she talked you into keeping your pair of Bags. They're almost brand new!