1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bag End advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Abrahampost, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Abrahampost

Abrahampost

Feb 22, 2013
    Vermont
    I could use some advice on this one. I am going to check out a Bag End s18BD tomorrow. They rate these at 300 watts rms at 8 ohms which seems surprisingly low. Anyone have any experience with these?

I will be running it off of a eden world tour 800 on the low side so it will probably be getting around 250 watts along with my aguilar gs212 at 400 watts.... if I like the tone i guess i could get a power amp for it

2. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    They can handle plenty of power, and sound great doing it. I'd hit that sucker with a good 600 - 800 watts if you can.

3. ersheff

ersheff

Jan 8, 2012
    I've actually seen 3 specs listed for Bag End cabs before, but I don't remember where exactly.
    The numbers I'm thinking of were for the S12/S15-D (which I have) which were 200 continuous, 400 music program, 800 peak.
    I'm currently running a TH350 through 1 or 2 Bag End cabinets, which means that whether it's at 8 ohms (1 cab) or 4 ohms (2 cabs), I'm always a bit below that 200w mark per cab. There's pretty much no chance in hell I can blow these speakers, and I get a nice loud, full sound even "under powering" them.
    Lot's of people on these forums have said that Bag Ends can take a lot of power, which probably has something to do with their conservative ratings. I think the middle 400w "music program" mark (600 for the 18") is probably a more accurate number.
    I know the guy I bought my S15-D from was giving it more than 200w.
    That amp puts out 300w per channel at 8 ohms, right? You'll be fine. Don't worry about over or under powering it.

4. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    I've never tried their 18", but I had two S15B-D, the extended 15" (not the cube). Unbelievably great sound. I was forced (lol - long story) to sell one to a minister whom I used to coach T-ball and friend of the family all his life. He uses it in his church.

I have lots of good things to say about BagEnd's. I just cannot comment on the 18".

5. I used this exact same cab with a carvin r600, with a g&l l2500, and a fender mia p 5. Sounded freakin amazing.

6. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    I've been using a pair of the larger BE 15's for a couple of years and have worked with their 212 before that. Bag Ends are very flexible as to the power it takes them to perform - I've used them with low powered heads and thermonuclear rack rigs. Always got good results.

Never had one of the 18s, but a friend had one for quite a while. Sounded good - he found it a little boomy with the front port open, so he tended to keep it covered, operating the cab sealed. To me it sounded fine both ways. My only recommendation would be to put some casters on the 18. BE cabs are very heavy. You could use the 18 as a trolly to carry other cabs (or just tow it behind your car like a boat trailer:smug:). Good luck