Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bag End AF1A-R

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SnoMan, Oct 9, 2004.

1. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    (Disclaimer, I searched and didn't find many results :spit: )

When you're gonna go...go all out.

Does anyone here have any expience with the above mentioned cabs? I've decided that I want the next cabs I buy to be the best I can find and afford (though these will take some saving and budgeting for), and these look to be the cream of the crop.

Also, anyone know roughly what the street price on these might be?

I've always been drawn towards Bag End products, don't know why, prolly since I'm a big Tolkien fan.

Ok, I'm rambling....

I want a great cab that will last me and the best sound I can get. Sadly, I'm from west virginia and we have very few good music stores in this entire state so I have few chances to try out good equiptment.

I'm tempted to pair this with a carvin B500...I've been real happy with the carvins I've worked with.

So, any reviews? Words of wisdom? Random hugs?

Thanks

Shawn
    -SnoMan :bassist:
    http://stonebuddha.net/

P.S. Yeah, sorry this sounds like it was written by a 5 year old, but I'm just over psyched about a big show I've got tonight and thats what's mainly on my mind, but I wanted to go ahead and get this up to hear some people thoughts. :bag:

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    bass player did a review on the af1 a long time ago - it's probably on the bag end website somewhere
    i've never heard one but they're supposed to be extremely good full range cabinets, if a bit big.

3. ONLY drawback...size. (I think...if I can remember - 147lbs.)
    But for the $$$...loud & clear - a GREAT speaker cabinet.

4. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    It looks like they took the size into consideration a lot when designing the R model. The thing has like 8 handles spaced about it....plus it has those nice rolly things that I wish even my little 15 practice combo had.

I am too gassed about this cab....so anyone wanna buy my tuba???
    :hyper:

5. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I have worked for a PA company with a large Bag End system, including two AF-1 used for sidefill monitors. They're loud and clear over the full frequency range. They were originally designed for the U.S. Air Force band, I believe.

Alphonso Johnson had 2 AF-1 in his bass/Stick rig when I saw him play with Santana in the late '80's. You can get them in a variety of finishes, including carpet and oiled birch (beautiful!) The ones I've used had latching front covers, tons of handles, and casters. I'm not sure if they're biampable or full range only.

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    last i heard they made the af-1 with full range and biamp inputs, but bag end themselves could tell you for sure.