Bag End Cab help!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zentner, May 5, 2003.

1. I recently purchased a BagEnd Q10BX-D cabinet, and i have some questions regarding the speakon jacks.

The sales clerk was telling me how his BagEnd cab's speakon jacks were different from ordinary speakon jacks. He was telling me how if i wanted to use a speakon cable to connect my amp to my cab, that i'd have to rewire the cable to be able to plug it in.

First off...
    Are speakon cables that much better than a regular 1/4 in. cable?? How will a speakon cable affect my sound?

Also, if anyone has run into the same problem, how did you rewire you cable?

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    When in doubt, check the mfg's site...

From Bag End's FAQ

"I would like to use the Neutrik Speakon connectors on my Bag End speakers. How should the cables be wired?
    The Neutrik Speakon NL4MP connector is a keyed, high current, four conductor device which allows both the high and low frequency signals for a bi-amped loudspeaker system to run through the same 4-conductor cable. Bag End uses pin 1+ and pin 1- for connection to ELF subwoofers. Pin 2+ and pin 2- are used for mid/high loudspeakers. All four conductors on both Speakon connectors are wired in parallel, but only two conductors are connected to the driver(s) in the enclosure. This permits an easy parallel connection to other similar loudspeakers (if your amplifier can handle the lower impedance load) and allows the use of a short “jumper” between the subwoofers and the mid/high speakers in a bi-amped system. Banana and 1/4" phone jacks are also provided on mid/high loudspeakers. ELF subwoofers include banana jacks on each circuit ("Low" and "High")."

To me this sounds like they're connected in the traditional fashion + to 1+ and - to 1-.

If you have a multimeter, connect your cable to you bag end cabinet and measure the resistance at the amp end of the cable. You should measure resistance at 1+ and 1-. If not, Speakons use screw terminals inside so it's relatively easily to rewire them (and the terminals are identified...gotta love the European way).

As for benefits of Speakons vs. Phone plugs...speakons lock in and are designed to handle more current. The wiring terminals accept larger wire which allows you to get better power transfer from your amp to the cabinet.

If your amp is greater than 500 watts (a semi-arbitrary number), it is probably worth it going speakon to speakon.
  3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    For years, Bag End has wired their Speakons a little differently than everyone else. I had to make a custom cable, since my Bag was looking for signal on the +2/-2 pair. (One of my two S15-Ds is semi-custom with a Speakon plate.) This is not able to be changed because of how the Speakon is attached to the PC board. Only ELF cabs are wired for the +1/-1 pair.

However, some current production cabs have a new jackplate that allows you to switch the wiring of the Speakons. I'm hauling my cabs up to the factory for the upgrade as soon as I can find the time. I didn't order my second cab with a Speakon because I knew this change was coming - it just took them a year longer than they expected!

You may want to pull your jackplate and see which you have.
  4. Thanks gentlemen, that was very helpful!