Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bag End cab recommendations?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 43% burnt, Jul 3, 2005.

1. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I guess I'm building a new rig now, since I just bought a Bag End S-15d from a fellow TBer. :hyper:

I've been a huge fan of Bag End cabs for awhile...but have never owned one. Anyway, I'm trying to decide the best cab to go w/ it. I've been using a 2x10 & 15 config for awhile...and love the full range I get from it. But I want more low/mid range thump and growl out of this new one. Loud, clear and defined with excellent tone is a must. I'm using a Trace Elliot AH250 7band head. Its gotta be an 8ohm cab. I'm thinking about a few options to go with it...and wanted some input from the tone masters on here. Heres what I'm considering:

Bag End Q10BX-D
    Aguilar S 212
    Schroeder 21012

Thanks in advance :)

2. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I'd suggest another S15-D or S15X-D (coax tweeter) or S12-D. All these are very punchy, efficient cabs.

As far as I know the Schroeder 21012 only comes in 4ohm.
    I think you can get the 1212 in an 8ohm version.
    Mini 12 or Mini 12+ I think can be 8ohm as well.

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    There's a synergy that comes from using a pair of S15 series Bag End cabs that has to be heard to be believed. Hook up with somebody that has a S15-D or -XD to see what I mean.

I'm told the same results from a S15-D/S12-D combination. S12-Ds seem to be about as quick and punchy as most other manufacturer's 10s.

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I say go for the Aggie 212.

5. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    hmm...theres a store near me with a few bag ends, maybe I can bring my 15 down there and try a few combos out. Great Idea.

6. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Did you guys who had 2 15 stacks find you had enough definition in the mid/high range?

7. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Yes.
    I have a S15d(no coax)and it really has impressive "full range" ability, it doesn't throw out that sparkle and shine at the very top of the range buy it's a clean and clear cab for sure!! The coax versions of this cab do it all. I also have a Q10BX-d. It is an absolute beast, power hungry and dangerous. As a stand alone cab or part of a monster sized rig it would be great but because of it's size and power requirements it may not be a good additional cab for you. I would look toward another 15 or the D10BX-d.

8. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Cool, I think I'm gonna stick with Bag End. Everytime I've heard them, or played through them I've been extremely impressed. But it looks like I'd have to get more power to run the setup I want. Mybe I'll get a S15x-d...then invest in a power amp to run the Q10bx-d. :D

I sense another expensive GAS attack coming on. :help:

9. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Any recommendations on good power amps? I don't know too much about them. I see alot of QSC, Crest, Stewart World around here. Something that could run the power-hungry beast (Q10BX-d), and 2 S15-d's. :bassist:

10. I used the small 15 (s15d) and the 15 with the coax (s15dx) for a number of years. First, they are very efficient... a little bit of power really puts out a lot of sound with these. That's the good news... the bad news is those rear ports really suck. Since the cabs are tuned rather high, the ports are actually directional (I may not be technically correct on that, but the point is that cab placement affects the sound of these cabs more than any other I've ever used). The sound of those cabs is radically different depending on what you have behind them. They can sound absolutely amazing, and they can suck pretty large! If you are outside, they are almost unuseable IMO. I think there are much better options out there right now (Epifani, Acme, Accugroove, etc., etc.) for small cabs.

11. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Another vote for a S-15D.

The S15 isn't you're typical 15". It has all the low midrange thickness that you're looking for. It has the thump sof a fifteen, but with the response of a 10". For a 15" it is pretty fast, and has much mids. If you don't have one with a coax tweeter, then that would be the one to get. You'd have the sparkle that would otherwise be missing, and have more booty than a Jenny Craig classroom.

12. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    ha ha ha! Thats funny man. Awesome.

I think thats what I'll do...but for some reason I feel like it not gonna be enough. Maybe It's just my bass rig obsessive-compulsiveness, or I've been looking at the "rig of doom" thread a little too much :eyebrow:

13. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    very true.

currently i use an S15 and one or two S12 cabs, sometimes with a D10B.

I did a large "shootout" with all sorts of bag end cabs a while back and the results are posted in a few threads around here.

A stack of two S15 cabs is great, especially when one of them is an S15X. However, i really like the sound of an S15 paired with an S12. Not as much low end as a pair of S15 cabs, but a midrange that "speaks" like almost nothing else.

Of course, I'm waiting to be able to buy an S15X so i can use two 15" and two 12" cabs. :D

FWIW, i tried my S15 with an epifani 210UL, and that was quite the combo.

As far as poweramps go, the more watts the better. I use a stewart 2.1 with my BE, and i pump anywhere from 400-1400 watts into it depending upon the configuration. Of course i cant "dime" it, but that's not the point. FWIW, the S15 cabs can handle a lot of abuse, but the S12 cabs start to distort earlier. I haven't actually damaged one yet, but unless you want to get a sound like moving pictures or live at leeds, you have to be careful about how hard you drive the S12.

14. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    If you have more muscles than money, I'd recommend a second-hand Crown Macro Tech or new QSC RMX (RMX 1850HD is my favorite of the RMX).

If you have more money than muscles, I'd recommend the Stewart World 1.6 or 2.1 (the QSC PLX amps are good, too).

If you have muscles and money, how about a new Crown MA-2402?

If you're concerned about playing outdoor gigs, you could sell the S15-D, recoup your $$$ and buy a Schroeder -- they are very loud, esp. for their size, and IMO have very good tone for live band settings.

15. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I'd like to hear that setup!

16. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    I;ve heard it, (in the store) and It's quite nuts.

I know at least oen TB member has multiple 12 and 15 cabs (NonS i think).

Burnt, seeing as we're close by, you can always PM me and we can get together for you to try the two 15 or 15 plus 12 combo. You can also check out milford music in devon (right off of exit 34 off 95) and tell mike nunno ivan sent you. That won't get you a deal, but it might get you a cup of coffee - :p

17. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I wonder if the stack would be too unstable to stack like:

S15X-D
    S12-D
    S12-D
    S15-D
    ?

That'd put the tweeter closer to ear level and the other 15" on the floor for better low end.

Probably wouldn't want to put you head or rig on top, but I bet it would sound and project really well.

[Sorry, I have a thing for vertical stacks.] :eyebrow:

18. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA

nope, that should be fine i stacked em like that w/o problem. In fact, when i take all 4 cabs out i set the D10B on its side and everyone else gets stacked on top.

[​IMG]

19. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Thanks for the input guys. Looks like I got some thinking, testing, and saving to do.

Mike, Thanks a lot for the offer. I might take you up on that sometime. Funny, I was planning on bringing my s15 & head to milford music once I get it, to try out some different cab configurations. I was also checking out the Epifani UL 212, never tried one though. Do they carry Epifani at G guitars?

BTW, That's one serious stack you got there. :D