Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bag End Cab ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by joetiii, Apr 29, 2004.

1. joetiii

joetiii

Oct 27, 2002
    Anyone know who makes the speakers for Bag End?

2. The older cabs had Electrovoice speakers, the new ones Eminence (so, I've been told).

3. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Jim Wischmeyer, the founder and president of Bag End, once explained to me that they have over a dozen different sources for their drivers and for driver parts. They make some drivers in-house, and others are OEM'ed. They do not have a single source for all drivers, such as Eminence, and even then, who made a specific driver may change over time. And don't jump to conclusions - even the ones that look like Eminence could be from Eminence, or may have been made in-house, or made by other companies. So there is no one answer. It depends on the driver and the date of manufacture.

All I can tell you is that they are all very good, high-quality drivers.

Nightbass

4. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Well, every company has employees who may not know the correct answer. This is esp. true if you talk to the first person who answers the phone, or the first person you get transferred to. Haven't you ever called Microsoft or Dell product support? :)

And don't forget that Bag End makes MUCH more than bass cabs. They also make PA, studio, home theater, and cinema products. Thus, "E-V" may be a simple answer to a complicated question. Who knows. Maybe they were instructed to give out that answer to overly-inquisitive Talkbassers. :D

Nightbass

5. joetiii

joetiii

Oct 27, 2002
    I used to have an S12 which was great for bringing up three flights of stairs to practice each week, but then sold it when we landed a locked practice space on the first floor. Now I'm back to schlepping an eden Metro.

Anyway, I've got a line on an older S12 which has had the speaker replaced with an eminence 12. Supposedly, it is rated better for lower frequencies than the standard eminence model. To me, the big difference in the models is that the deep bass 12 has an efficiency of 97 db while the original Bag End speaker as well as standard Eminence replacement both have efficiencies of 100 db.

FWIT, my 4 ohm 15 cab rated at 96 db sounds well balanced with my 8 ohm 2x10 @ 100db.

Question is, is this deep 12 going to be too inefficient and drive my amp way too hard to get satisfactory volume. (kinda the same problem I had before)0, though I have changed from 5 piece modern rock to 3 piece blues)? :confused:

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Unless this Bag End has a neck and strings, wrong forum. Moved.

7. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Awww, we was just havin' fun!

Joetii,

I checked the specs, and the closest thing I could find to the Bag End E-12 is the Eminenece Delta Pro 12. It really isn't that far off from the Bag End in the important parameters. All of the other 12's are a worser fit, including the Delta 12LF.

The Delta Pro 12 has a sensitivity of 96.5dB at 200Hz, so is the model you're talking about?

A 97dB cab is about in the middle as far as loudness goes. The Acme Low B2 is 93dB, and most other 12's are around 100dB. If you had a 600 watt amp, you'd probably be fine.

Nightbass

8. joetiii

joetiii

Oct 27, 2002
    The model # the seller has installed is the Delta 12LF.

I'll be playing through a sansamp & one side of a Yamaha PA which is rated at 300 watts @ 4 ohms, so I figure thats probably 250 at 8 ohms.

I've been borrowing a Peavey 60 watt combo that seems to fill the room OK. Not sure of the speaker efficiency.