1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bag End cabinet lining material

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pgk, Aug 22, 2012.

1. pgk

pgk

Aug 19, 2007
    what is it and does anyone know where i can get some?
    thanks in advance

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Don't know what they used but quilt batting is good stuff to use. Can layer it up to various thickness. Stuff labeled "polyfill" or "speaker lining/stuffing" is the same material, they just charge more. Fiberglass insulation is also good sonically, but it sheds glass fibers. Some of the newer stuff made for commercial ventilation systems is made so it doesn't shed.

Nothing wrong with using mattress pad either. It's a fixed thickness, but usually it's in the ballpark of what you need anyway.

3. pgk

pgk

Aug 19, 2007
    thanks will, but i'm looking for the specific material they use. i've tried the other stuff, and it works, but i really like whatever it is that bag end uses.

4. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Why not just call Bag End and ask them?

5. pgk

pgk

Aug 19, 2007
    doh i should've thought of that first....

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    That's cool.

Most importantly, if you're cloning a cab, and get the same stuff they used. Apply it just like they did. Using different materials and having it thicker or thinner in different areas of the cab will alter the tone slightly. You'd be changing how the midrange reflections behave inside the box, thus altering what you hear outside the box. Pay attention to that if you're shooting for an exact clone.

7. pgk

pgk

Aug 19, 2007
    yeah, i've tried lots of combinations with various materials, just the back wall/all inside walls/back top and bottom, it about drove me batty too. i want to use it to line a modded (ported out the bottom) B15T cab. i'm using some tweaky audiofool stuff on the back wall only right now that i'm not crazy about and i don't want to go with fiberglass either. the stuff in my s15l-d cab looks really great and is very well made