Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bag End Cabinet Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by td1368, Nov 22, 2004.

1. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    I was at the vintage guitar show near Phila. PA this weekend and picked up a used 15" Bag End Cabinet for $150. Needless to say I couldn't resist.

I've noticed the newer models have the model number on the rear plate. But the rear plate on this cab (not a deep red model) doesn't have any info. The cabinet is built like a tank, lots of insulation inside and a huge rear port and the speaker is BagEnd. Anybody have any info on the older cabs that can help me identify it?

I do have a serial number but no spec info.

2. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Well, they haven't really changed much in 20 years. If yours is a 18x18 cube it would be comparable to the current S15. If it's a lot bigger then it would be the S15B.

Black carpet, or oiled wood? If wood, does it have a "Bag End" cattle brand on the top or bottom?

I'm wondering if it is real or not. I've heard a few companies making clones.

Does it have a Bag End logo on the grille? Is the speaker mounted with aluminum clamps? Do the handles say "Bag End"?

Is the insulation yellow or white? Bag End uses carpet padding, which is made of multicolored wool threads and fibers. Of course it could have been changed by someone somewhere along the way.

Great price, by the way!

3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I was at the Philly show. Was it the black one they were asking $200 for? I tried to get a couple of my friends interested in that one, or the EAW cabs that were going for pretty cheap too.

Did you stop by the Crescent Moon booth? Craig brought the zebra 5 string and his semi-hollow guitar to our jam Sat. night. Sweet stuff, oh man.

4. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Passinwind Yes, It was the one they were selling $200. I managed to talk them down because there was no spec info. What a bunch of silly guitarists. At the very least I fiqured I was getting a home theater sub-woofer.

Was Cresent Moon basses the fretless with the burled tops?

Nightbass, It's black carpet, with the logo on the grille, I could see through the port and saw that the speaker was BagEnd. The insulation is thick, like a flecked grey. I'm pretty sure it's authentic. I didn't realize all of the cabinets BagEnd made audio, bass, guitar, etc. when I went to their website.

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the bag end s15 is 18x18x15
    if its bigger its a s15b
    there is a cabinet unlisted on the website that is the same size as a d10b that they call the s15 "custom", but i doubt that you have that as it has only recently been availabel and wouldn't be made in black carpet (they only make the non - pa cabs in birch and deep red carpet). since bag end began using "bag end" speakers with the purple label on the magnets (made by emininece i think) the specs havent changed at all in terms of wattage, frequency response, and spl. prior to that they offered cabinets with ev and gauss speakers (your choice when ordering), although a lot of people bought the cabinets unloaded and put whatever speakers they wanted in them. Since introduced, the s15 (as well as many other cabinets) have not changed in designin terms of the boxes themselves
    i was at the PA show on sunday and didn't see it, it must have sold before i got there.

6. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I figured there were a few Talkbassers besides me at that show, too bad we didn't figure it out ahead of time.

The Crescent Moon booth was on the other side from where most of the other boutique bass guys were. I briefly played an EUB at the same booth with the spalted and burled ones. IIRC, that was CC Basses?

The Crescent moon bass I mentioned looks a lot like the one on the right here: http://www.crescentmoonguitars.com/crescent_moon_basses.htm
    I think it had a one piece body though, without the walnut back. Gorgeous, in any case. I've posted pictures of my fretless CM on Talkbass a number of times, and I think there's one in the gallery section.

7. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Ivanmike, Thanks for the info. I'm convinced it's the real deal at this point. I bought it early on Saturday. It's in really good shape and sounds great. Man what a deal.

Passinwind, I should have hung around the booth a little longer. Next time I'll have to spend some more time with the custom luthiers.

8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yeah, you got a deal. new they are about 400 or so. e-bay is way out of control with used ones going for 350 which is too much. i think people get a little bid happy on those. in my opinion 250 or so is a lot more reasonable, maybe 300.