1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BAG END CABS... ANY GOOD!?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by attackbass, Mar 12, 2008.

1. attackbass

attackbass

Jul 16, 2007
    Endorsing Artist:Orange Amps, EBS FX, Ernie Ball, Fender Bass Guitars
    I saw them on a post the otherday and they looked pretty cool and monsterous! Are they any good for rock?

How do they compare with Ampeg cabs?

Just curious.. as I thought they looked cool.. I don't thinkthey are available over in the uk to try out :/

2. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    great cabs, I like the Q10BXD alot, (thats the deeper 410), and lots of people have had great luck with the smaller 15" cabs, ala S15D and/or S15XD

my only issue with the 4x10s they make is the weight. But they;re extremely well made and sound great to my ears, if a little sizzly on the top end. Very sparkly tweeter to my ears, but its a great sounding tweeter.

Also last time I owned one, they were using banana jacks only, which is kind of a drawback, not sure if they changed that in the last few years.

3. MrLenny

MrLenny

Jun 10, 2006
    So. N.H.
    I own a S15-D, small cab. single 15, 200 watts and round rear port.
    It really kicks. lots more punch than Ampeg IMO. Ampegs sound
    soft to me.
    Got hooked on them after seeing John Patitucci one night.

4. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    To increase the portability and flexibility of my rig I picked up a pair of S-15D's and I'm real glad that I did. They sound great! Lots of punch and clarity. I like everything about them. At 43 lbs. these 15' weigh the same or less than many 112's. I sometimes power this pair with my SVT-VR and "whoa baby"!

5. attackbass

attackbass

Jul 16, 2007
    Endorsing Artist:Orange Amps, EBS FX, Ernie Ball, Fender Bass Guitars
    haha i think they look awesome... think there's one place in the UK that stocks only the 15" speaker. I'd love two 4x10 or maybe one 4x10 and 1x15!!

Wish i could try them out!

6. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    Search, there are lots of posts of Bag End. Yeah they are great cabs. I almost bought a 118/210 setup recently because I had heard the exact rig at a gig and it sounded phenomenal. The 118 was a bit much though, the guy only used it because he ran taurus pedals.

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I spent the 90s using an S12 and S15 in rock settings... I'm currently waiting on a new D12-B

FYI:

S = Single driver, D = Dual drivers, Q = Quad (or 4) drivers
    12, 15, 10 = driver size
    X = Coax tweeter on one of the drivers
    a 'B' before the dash = a deeper, bassier version
    a 'B' after the dash = oiled birch cab
    a 'D' after the dash = deep red carpet

I too got hooked after seeing John Patitucci use them with the Chick Corea Elektric Band in the late 80s

As far as the Ampeg comparison... I've never played through an Ampeg cab I'd consider owning.

8. p-nut95

p-nut95

May 27, 2007
    Philadelphia
    how do they stack up to say....eden? or bergantino?

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    different worlds... I've jumped around a few boutique brands since ditching my BE stack years ago. I'm buying new BE stuff over all others on the market.

They are closer to the Bergantino NV series (which is about my only other real consideration today), but ported cabs. The Eden horns are WAY brighter than what I've ever heard out of a standard Berg let alone an NV series or Bag End.

For me, Bag End cabs are clear and smooth with a tight, killer mid punch.

I hate tweeters on bass cabs... so I'm a minority on this board :D

10. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place

So there's 2 of us!

11. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Three!

I second what James says. Very strong mid punch. 90% of what I play currently can be covered by my GB Shuttle 6.0 and a single Bag End S15. Of course, I have two S15s (S15C, which stood for black carpet as opposed to the birch, before they went to the deep red) for those times when I want even more punch with more low end. For the big outdoor gigs I have, I will soon have a S15LD, which is the 15 in a cab the same size as the D10, which gives more low end.

12. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    +4!

i've got three S15D's stacked in a vertical array. great mids and overall balance for a 15, and plenty of lows - for what i need anyway. they are very tight and punchy sounding for a ported cab. great high end extension as well.

JR

13. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I used their 2x10 cab's for quite a while. Best tweeter and crossover in the biz. Normally I'm with James. The Bag stuff sounds great through - it's a lot more laid back in the hi's than most tweetered rigs. The 2x10 deep is a great cab. High volume from such a small box though it wants a little power to get there. Nice solid low end. I'm a fan for sure. I would still be using them but I wanted a lighter weight, 1 cabinet solution so I went to Schroeder. If they made the 4x10 in a lighter weight version, I'd probably have done that.

14. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    Three of us!

I bought one S15B-D and liked it so much that I bought a second one. Often I use one under an SWR Silverado Special (450 watts, 2/12 combo) and it kicks! Other times I find that I need only one by itself, under a Peavey Max 700 or an Ashdown Superfly. Huge, huge sound.

I don't use/need to use both together unless I am outdoors. They are amazing to my ears. If something happened to them, I would replace them.

15. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    actually you are the 5th :)

This is killing me!!!!! 3 more weeks until mine gets to me! I was just bugging my Artist Rep for a production shot :hyper:

16. iammr2

iammr2

Jun 10, 2002
    Tejas
    That would make me 6th...

I use just one. No tweet and birch cab. Plenty of highs for me but I'm a four-stringer.

17. 7thbass

7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    This thing is freaking huge. Is it loud enough as standalone for blues band, small to mid sized club with no pa?

18. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    7th (can't stand horns, tweeters, high end)
    in fact, i can't stand the high end that comes off of most 10"s, which is why i don't use 'em.

in love with my Bag End rig. (which i've been meaning to take pictures of...)

and to the poster above... i've used my S15L which is smaller than the S15B as a standalone, and it puts out some serious sound!

19. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    I have a S-12D and a second is on the run to my house!

The best cab I ever owned, and I've owned many.

I've heard no other cab punching like thist little monster.

It's rated at 'just' 200 watts, but can easily handle a Mesa 400+.

20. nope. they are awful.