Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bag end cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jeff Haley, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I'm looking at 4-10 cabs. Whats your opinion on the Bag End cabs. How do they compare to Aguilar and other high end cabs?

2. Bass-only

Bass-only Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2001
    Cleveland
    Jeff:

I have (2) Bag End D10X-D, which are the older (only 12" deep) 210 coaxial cabs. I also have a Bergantino HT310 and (2) HT112's. As much as I thought getting the 2 HT112's would encourage me to sell the BE cabs - I can't! While they do sound different from the Bergantino cabs, they still sound fantastic! The other cool thing is that the coaxial speakers go up to 20k and they sound great as a small (full range) PA speaker!

Although the coaxial speaker has no level control on the back side, it's not sharp or "overly bright" sounding. In fact, it's very natural.

In comparison to other high end cabs, I really think the BE cabs have incredible bottom end, great mids and a comparable high end to the best cabs out there. The new prices are competitive and the used cabs can be had for a very good price.

Highly recommend the BE cabs! GO FOR IT!

3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I use a D10B-D (210 non-coax) and S15B-D (front ported deep 115).
    Great cabs. Very well suited for my playing. I can get a nice natural tone with punchy mids and I'm really happy with my tone from bottom to top.

I think I tried a coax 410 way back. I'm not a 410 kind of guy though. I can't remember too much about it. I really love the D10B-D though. Great for small to medium rooms or on top of the stack.

The price was great on these too.

I would be a BagEnd pro endorser if I were any good.

4. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Man, have we got Bag Ends, here!

I've got the S15X, two D10X-D's and I just got the D12-D which is my main gigging cab. The D12 does exactly what I want for my type of finger-style playing. It also sounds great with my 2X bass hooked up with a Biesele pickup system. It's lighter than most all of the 2x12 cabs and the cabinet shape make it easy to carry and pack into the car.

When I was looking for a 4x10 cab, the Bag End 4x10 was in the top three. Actually the Bergantino 3x10 was one of the top three also. I selected the the Aguilar GS410 because it was/ is smoother and closer to the tone from the Bergantino, which was my favorite.

The Bag End's are a bit more on the hifi side but seem to cut just right in a mix. They are built to the hilt. They feel like they would survive a nuke blast. Also, if you have a lick of problems, the customer support is one of the best I've ever dealt with. The cabs also come with a 6 year warrenty. They REALLY stand behind their speakers.

Because Bag End is big in the pro sound arena their specs are listed as very conservative. On the D10's or the the D12 the B string on my Sadowsky or my MTD535 is thunderous, but very controlled. It is no slouch on the low freq's.

I am so sold on Bag End cabs, obviously. :D

5. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    im also running a D10X-D, which i picked up used for a little over 300. before that i had a hartke 2.5XL, and this outshines the hartke in every way possible. its smaller, lighter, handles low end much better, has smoother highs, and has a higher wattage rating, meaning i dont need to worry about overpowering it when i pick up a poweramp down the road. im very satisfied, and when i have the money, ill be picking up a BE 15, not sure which model yet.

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
  7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    handles 3200 WATTS

holy crap. imagine one of those with 2 4x10's on top.

8. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    the only problem is that they dont make a wireless with enough range to keep you from destroying your hearing when you use of those things. Talk about pant leg flap, that thing would bust you knee caps!

-I want one-

9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Word.

10. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    zulu, last time i checked, you were pretty damn good:)

11. OH

MY

GOD.

:p

12. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    The source of the Brown Note!

13. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I think that Josh nailed it. The Bag Ends are another choice.

It's kinda funny because I usually pair up my D10's so I guess that would almost be the same thing as a Q10X-D cab.

Gosh, 20 Hz? I should get one to put next to my TV for the ultimate low-end experience. ;)

14. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i just read closer. 4x21" speakers.

holy crap.

15. I would actually really love to swap my Eden 8 ohm, 350w D210XLT for a BE D10B or D10B-X cab. If anyone would be interested? It is in excellent condition and gigged out only five times.
    Thanks.........