1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

BAG END cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mb94952, Jul 25, 2012.

1. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS

Hey guys - I know there are lots of Bag End lovers here. I've never owned one, but I played through one in the Alembic showroom. Mica loves Bag End there. (I assume )

Anyway, I really want to try one BADLY !! I hear that they just blow the competition away.

Here's my question - I currently own two SWR Goliath III's. They are 410's , of course. I hear that some Eden and SWR cabs used Bag End speakers in their cabs. I love my SWR's by the way and they always end up my #1 choice in tone.

My question, and this shows how little I know - Since Bag Ends don't have HF horns (which I don't understand), if I just turn the attenuator all the way down on my SWR's, will that give me a "Psuedo Bag End" enough to tell if I want to buy one or not, or is it totally different ?

2. otherclef

otherclef

Aug 10, 2011
    Charleston
    Depends what you mean by "competition"...
    I guess better than your basic mass produced types but certainly not in the league of hi-end cab makers.
    Not sure if turning down your tweeter you give back full range to the 15... you would have to do that to compare apples to apples.

3. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS

Well, to my beloved SWRs for example. Yes, I know if it ain't broke don't fix it, but I am just curious

4. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    Some Bag End cabs have coaxial tweeters. They typically have the red dustcap in the center of the cone. Most of their bass cabs are available with this option.

My Bag End cab does not have a tweeter and I don't miss it a bit. Just depends on the sound you are looking for. That being said All my other cabs have tweets but I only turn them up halfway.

Also, I think SWR started using their own drivers when the Goliath III came out. I used to own a GIII but had a chance to play through a II. I much preferred the II.

:D

Joe.

5. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I owned GIIIs and GII jrs. I always used the tweeters just barely on for a more balanced response. GIIIs with the tweeter off would sound like exactly that. The configuration by SWR is designed to have some highs handled by the tweeter. Bag Ends have a great sound. A different sound than your SWRs but not better.
    It's a taste thing. It's hard to generalize because between the brands there are many different configurations. IE: vented, sealed, tweets and non tweets, different complements of cones.

SWR used Bag End speakers in the original BBI and early versions of the BBII as well as in the Big Foot.

6. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Check out the BE megathread for more info than you will ever need.

Great cabs, they do compete with the best out there, just not flavor of the month.

7. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    Nope. SWR is kind of on the opposite end of the tonal spectrum compared to the Bags. Just get a pair of S15D's and be happy!

8. I have an original SWR Big Ben that has a BE 18" speaker in it right from SWR. It's a really nice sounding stand alone cab too!

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    the original Baby Blue had BE 8" drivers too

10. Wyrm74

Wyrm74

Oct 28, 2007
    DFW, Texas
    I used to own a GII and now I use BE cabs. I just like the way they sound. More full and less "hifi".