Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bag End/Carver thoughts

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MikeBass, Feb 22, 2005.

1. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Hey Bag End guys,
    I just played thru a S15D-X today and it sounded great.
    So here is what I'm thinkin':
    My current baby rig is a Eden TT330 head (stinkin love this little guy) in the CXC110 combo with an CXC110 extention cab. Both co-ax 10's.
    For "bigger" rooms I pull out my Epifani 310UL with the TT330 head.
    Well, I thinking of re-doing my "big" rig with a Carver PM900 power amp and maybe a pair of Bag End co-ax 15s' or one co-ax one standard.

I'm really getting to like the co-ax sound and think that maybe the BE 115's will be just a bigger version of my little rig.

I used to have a pair of BE D10X-D cabs (210 co-ax) but they were stolen years ago.
    I always thought they were great sounding cabs, but kinda forgot them with all the newer junk out there these days.
    So, I know there are a few die hard users of them and read through a bunch of posts, but still wanted a bit of advice.

So ask nice and maybe a mint Epi310UL could be for sale soon!

Also, anyone use the Carver PM900?? Thoughts, comments, concerns, dirty remarks?

Haven't settled on a pre-amp as of yet.

Basses are:
    Sadowsky 5, F Bass BNF5 (fretless) and a Jazz for good measure.
    Music: from standard "bar rock" to country to jazz to R&B to my Steely Dan cover band. A bit o' everything actually.

2. Special_Ed

Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    A pair of BE 15s would rock. I know many great bassists who used the 2 x 15 set up, including cliff burton from metalica. plus, BE sound top notch. What else can be said?

3. I use that carver amp in the monitor rack of the stage/venue i am the soundman of: it sounds very tight. I believe the damping factor of this amp is 1000 or even greater. Never tried it for bass, but the damping factor promisses a modern, tight sound, not anything remotely vintage. I also recall that it needs more imput volume of the preamp than most other amps.

4. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Since I am the owner of a Q10B-X (not the deep version of the 4.10') I am almost obliged to say that I never want another cab again. Perhaps if someone wants to swap an Aguilar 4.10" for it, but still then.

It's clear, not totally flat tuned it delivers sweet highs in addition to the big tight lows. The special tweeter gives me always a smile when playing.

I heard that the deep version of the 4.10 (the Q10BX-D I suppose) gives almost too much lows although I'm quite curious how it would sound. I defenitiley don't need another cab though... :)

5. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I'm still a pretty big fan of the BE cabs. I still have one of my D10X-D's and a D12-D. I've not played through a cab that just felt like it was ready to take anything I could throw at it like the Bag Ends do. I use to gig with a pair of the D10's/alembic f1X/PLX2402 and it was a sweet rig for old school tone. I never had trouble cutting through with one of my old P Basses. I just haven't been able to bring myself to sell the last D10 and I won't sell the D12. I just like that cab way too much.

I've got a friend that swears by his Carver amp which he runs with a Navigator pre. He'll have that Carver forever the way he raves about it. And he's got great tone.

BTW, Please shoot me an email if you do decided to sell your Epi. I may be looking for a mate for my NYC310.

6. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Bag End's sound good with "just about any amp". :)

7. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I Play a GL L2000 w/ a Trace Elliot GP7sm 250 through a Genz Benz 210, and 115...which sounds pretty excellent. I brought my head to our rehearsal studio and played it through a trace 410, and a Bag End 15...and it blew my mind. Best sounding cab I've played on. Not to mention very compact. I want one. Badly.

8. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    It comes from the factory with an input sensitivity of 1.5Vrms, but it can increased to 0.775Vrms by removing some soldered-in jumpers internally.

And the damping factor is >400.

I have a PM1400 and love it! Don't have any problems getting vintage tones either with my F-2B preamp.

But like Joshua says, the minimum load for bridging is 8 ohms.

9. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    +1 This is why I decided to sell my Bag End cab. It served me well for several years though.

10. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i've heard the carver with bag ends and it sounds really good. like joshua said, i'd use a lighter amp, but the carver is fine. as far as a pair of bag ends, so far my all time favorite is a S15X paired with a S12. to me the two cover more range than a pair of 15's. i did a comparison of a bunch of bag end cabs in various combinations about 6 months ago. i did a thread on it here somewhere.............

11. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Yeah, I just read it. Interesting findings.
    I just don't have the chance to play thru a S12 with the S15X-D.
    I did the A/B thingy today up next to a Epi 310NYC. The pi sounded a little tighter, but overall the pair of BE S15X-D's seemed to have a bit more down low.
    Funny, even though they are spec'd down to 50hz and the Epi is down to 40hz :meh:
    Never trust the written spec! Trust your ears!!
    We'll see. I'm kinda on the fence with the bigger cab thingy. My next try is my baby a$$ kicker Eden "stack" next to the BE "stack" to see if the tone is close to what I have now. I'm just looking for a "bigger" version of what I have now.

I like the more modern sound of the BE with the vintage-y/Jazz tone from my Sadowsky. I can just imagine what my F Bass fretless would sound like through them. ;)