Bag End D10X-D cabs - they sound great!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass-only, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Bass-only

Bass-only Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2001
    I just picked up a used Bag End D10X-D (2x10) cab. This cab sounds incredible! Only 12" deep!

I understand Bag End has discontinued this cab for the "B" model, which is approx. 6" deeper (but has virtually identical specs and weighs 8 pounds more!)

I will put this BE cab against my Eden 210XLT anytime for punch and bottom - in fact, I am selling the Eden cab!

I also have a Bergantino 310 and was switching back & forth between the cabs during a set last weekend. While you can't compare the bottom, punch, tightness and clarity of the Bergantino, the BE really held it's own (with one less speaker). Together - THEY WERE AWESOME!

I've heard the 15's are cool, but they are only rated at 200 watts. The D10X-D is 400 watts!

Enough babbling - what's your experience with BE cabs, especially the D10X-D?

2. Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I got my first D10B-D a few weeks ago, and am very impressed with it. I like the Eden D-210XLT, but the Bag has less coloration and seems to handle the power of my Crown much better. The low end is quite good for a 2x10, so good that it's all I need for a cab most of the time.

Mine's the 18" deep model, and the low end is spec'd at -6dB at 40Hz. The 12" model is -6dB at 50Hz, but you'd never know it. Yes, they only make a 4 ohm 2x10.

The 15's are great, too (I've owned 3 of them), and are what I'd call musically voiced. They are small boxes and only 200 watts, so they're not designed to put out dance-floor-shakin' dub-reggae low-B-inflicted low end. But they do fine for cutting through the mix and being heard. Seems like a lot of people use them to add low end to an existing rig, and while there's not enough low end in them for my tastes, hey, they work for other people. :)

I'm undecided as to what to add to my D10 - another D10 or a S18-D? I want to keep the D10 laying horizontal, so that precludes putting it on top of a S15. Anyone using a S18 with a D10?

3. unlined4string

unlined4string Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Baltimore County, Md.
    My favorite cabinet. I love 'em. The D10X-D hasn't been discontinued, even though they're no longer shown on the Bag End web site. Bag End told me they're still available by special order.
  4. unlined4string

Mar 18, 2000
    Baltimore County, Md.
    I always use my D10X-D turned sideways (long side vertical). I asked Bag End if I should rotate the speaker with the coaxial tweeter 90 degrees in the baffle to provide correct horizontal dispersion for the tweeter when the cabinet is turned sideways. They told me that's not necessary; the coaxial tweeter disperses evenly in all directions. They also told me if you want really pronounced high end it's possible to configure a D10X-D with two coaxial tweeters (at additional cost of course). I don't think that's really necessary; one does just fine.
  5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've always been a big fan of Bag end cabs, made the mistake of selling my deep coax 210 a few months before I bought my Markbass Little Mark II amp (my friend who bought it from me still laughs at me over that rare screw up). Made up for it when I picked up a used D10X-D a couple of days ago. Took it on a gig and it even surprised me, in spite of my high expectations for Bag Ends

The cab is heavier than it looks and in this case there's a payoff... it sounds even heavier:D. I used it with the LMII and a Brubaker KXB-5 and it killed. Played with an agressive (read: loud) guitarist in a nine person band and without pa support it easily held it's own. At one point I couldn't believe my eyes when I had it cranked up and saw the Master was barely at 9:00. Extremely well-defined yet punchy sound. Just what I wanted.

Highly recommended "sleeper" cab.
  6. Rando McNally

Rando McNally

May 21, 2008
    Yup, all around. They are incredible.

Their power rating is conservative. I kept finding that it could handle more and more power. Takes 700 watts just fine.

I had mine converted to an 8 ohm cab so I could use it with my Bag End s18bd. They sound great together.

Every soundman I cross paths with asks me where the rest of my rig is. I can use this thing for almost any indoor venue. Any time the FOH has subs I have to roll my low end waaaaay back so the sound guy gets to use them. If there are no subs I can pill a pretty big room myself.

The bottom is there, I play 5 string and I have a VERY heavy handed drummer. This thing just powers on. Nice, clean, tight low end. Clean, crisp transient highs, and super punchy mids, all in studio-flat balance.

I used to haul around 410s and an 18. Now I just use this little guy and I'm usually all set. This little cab takes it all and more, and sounds HUGE!
  7. Oric

Feb 19, 2008
    Georgetown, Kentucky
    I have this cab. The only negative thing about it is the weight, but it's really not that bad. I love Bag End cabs, and they're especially useful for people who drive compacts, like me and my Cavalier (Motel 6 of cars).
  8. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I am a huge fan of Bag End cabinets..

I use the S 15 Ds, I have a Bag End 2 x 12 cab and I also have a pair of Bag End PA cabinets TA 1200b.

The bass cabinets are great..but what really surprises folks are the TA 1200B PA cabinets. They are small in size in size but the clarity and range of great tone these cabs produce amazes many band mates...I use them on all the bar gigs I play..they make a huge difference...:hyper:
  9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    couldn't resist..........

actually unlined is more right than he knows, i have a very old bag end product list, and with enough coaxing they will pretty much make any of the "discontinued" products unless the components (like the coaxial 12") is no longer available.

all of the BE cabs are conservatively rated. i've pushed my s15 cabs with 1400 watts. (carefully).

the "B" model 210 cab is great, just heavy and a bit of a bear to fit in a small car. the shallow 210 sounds just as good with less lows and a bit more mids. For an unreal cab try a pair of their s10 (yes single ten) cabs. you can practically juggle them and they hold their own.
  10. svtb15

svtb15 Commercial User

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    Im a big Bag End fan.. I have had a few over the past 20 years.... consisting of a
    D15B-D 2x15 deep cab
    D12 and a
    D12B-D 2x12 Deep

I currently have a S15B-D deep.. its huge for a 15 cab but to me the finest single 15 cab with a round bottom...I have put 1000 watts from my crown MA1200 amp with not an issue..
  11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I was surprised to see that the shallow 210, along with my LMII in a bag and a Kart-a-bag cart and a couple of stands all fit in the back of my Z3 Coupe... under the retractable cover. that's a ridiculously stealthy setup. Here's the Z3 with some of my other BE cabs (coax 15, coax 10):D

12. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    Woah Brad!!!!!!!!

is that a vintage PEAVEY i see in the garage???

do tell...............:D
  13. KPJ

KPJ Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    I love my D10XBD. I almost always have it oriented with the coax on the top. My MarkBass SA450 matches up great with it. It is my main go to rig and is very easy to move around. My head and all necessary cables, wireless, tuner etc all fit in an old Proxima laptop bag and I have a fold up luggage two wheeler that the cab fits on perfectly. Cab and bag on the cart, gig bag over the shoulder, nice one trip load in.

I recently got a big tube rig for those times when I nee one; a Peavey VB-2 and a Bergantino NV610. I will be experimenting with how the VB-2 sounds with the Bag End.
  14. I'm currently running a Q10BXD (and love it!!!), but probably my favorite rig that I ever had was a D10BXD on top of an S18BD. That combo was UNREAL.
  15. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    That's a Peavey guitar amp my wife picked up at Goodwill. I usually take them and trade them for bass strings:D. Haven't done anything with it yet... or the $40 Roland JC-120 amp or the Carvin X series tube amp ($60) she also found at Goodwill.

The Peavey ($25 IIRC) had a couple of effects pedals and some cables in the back of it:D

For instance, I picked up a like new Crate Cimmaron CA15 acoustic guitar amp Saturday morning for $30 (sells new for $149) at a local pawnshop. Took it to a store and traded it straight up for three sets of DR Fatbeam strings (two 5's and one 6 string set). $90+ worth of strings for $30 is cool by me.
  16. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    The same store I got the D10X-D has an S18 for under $300. I was just talking with a friend about how ridiculous a combo those two cabs would be. The S18 didn't feel much heavier than my 210.
  17. Rando McNally

Rando McNally

May 21, 2008
    I use this rig a LOT! It's really really really good. I run the d10xd with the low end cut out at around 75-90 Hz, and the S18BD full range. I've found that without the low end cut on the 210 it gets really boomy in many rooms.

The S18BD is 77 lbs, and I believe I weighed my d10xd in at 68 lbs. The 18 is a little heavier, but not by much in practical terms it is lighter because someone always comes running over to grab and end when they see me hauling it around by myself. Then they say, "hey, this isn't as heavy as I thought" but it's too late for them to get out of it.

$300 is an average price for a used one. Get the serial number and contact Bag End before you buy it. They will be able to tell you how old it is, and if there is any warranty left (the warranties transfer automatically, all you need is the serial number).

If you have one that is still covered GET IT!!!

Replacing the driver costs ~$250 for a 1 year warranty, ~$350 for a full 6 year warranty.

These drivers are rated 300w continuous, 600w peak. They can deal with about 1000 real world watts, I've found.

The cool thing about the S18BD is that it sounds GREAT on its own. Really, I don't mean okay, or passable, it sounds GREAT! It picks up transient highs and harmonics really well, and has a really punchy mid range.
  18. unlined4string

Mar 18, 2000
    Baltimore County, Md.
    Wow a blast from the past thread resurrection. The D10X-D (12" deep version of the deeper D-10BX-D) was my main gig cabinet for about 5 years. Eventually I stopped using it because of the weight, and because I didn't like the rear ports. (I play on a lot of small stages with the amp and me backed up against the wall.)

The D10X-D could get just stupid loud, and it never farted or rattled. It took EQ very well. With an Acoustic 370 head it gave the feeling of having an almost unlimited reserve of available volume. A great cabinet, and a design that was ahead of their time.

I have to say I am tempted by that custom Bag End 1x10 mini cabinet available from Milford Music.
  19. dela217

Mar 2, 2006
    New Orleans, La
    I have the D10BXD. In fact I am on my 2nd one. They are amazing cabs. The best. The first one I had I lost in the flood of Katrina here in New Orleans. I took the thing for granted at the time and every cab I tried since I hated. So, of course I got me another Bag End!!! It is the best bass cab I have ever owned. It definately spoiled me as far as bass cabs go.

I would love to try out an S18 with the D10BXD. I bet that combination would be killer. But I think 2 D10BXD's would be great too!

As far as power goes, I used to power my first Bag End with a QSC RMX 1450. I am not sure what the rating of that amp is any more. ( I lost that in the flood too of course. ) But I used to run it in mono powering the 1 four ohm Bag End. I think it was 1500 watts.
    I was using an Alembic F2B preamp into the QSC, and into the Bag End. Everyone who heard it or sat in was just amazed at the sound of that mini rig.
  20. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Do it? No thanks:D. There's no way in the world I'd haul an 18 around at this point. I have no doubt it sounds great. One of the scariest rigs I ever heard live was an S18 with an ELF processor with a 410 coax on top. A wall of sound in a relatively small package.