Bag End ELF "Infra" S18E = 8 Hz?!?!?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Apr 19, 2005.

1. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    did i read this right?

anyone using such a behemoth?

2. This should be under amps.
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yes, if paired with the proper ELF controller.

Moved to Amps.
  4. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

was sooo excited put it in the wrong place. :p
  5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    It only goes up to 95 Hz? :meh:
  6. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    i dont know how useful 8 Hz would be...
  7. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea, i figured not, but dangit, i just wanna try it once at gig volumes! :p :D :eek:

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Years back I almost took the plunge on a whole Elf system but figured it would kinda be worthless to record with & use live due to PA capabilities. The range is true sub & you shouldn't expect anymore from it. They look very cool & if the price was right I'd buy one for my bedroom/home stereo system.

PS: BE also makes a 21" cab
  9. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    In order to get down to 8Hz you would need to use the ELF control unit..There are two of these subs intalled @ a church were I often play. It's a square room, seats about 450 with a 30' ceiling, not very "bass friendly". Those subs hit HARD and are actually quite small, smaller than most single 15" bass cabs, and probably some 1x12 and 2x10 cabs out on the market, but weight may be another issue. With the sufficient amounts of bass that smaller drivers are comfortably able to produce these days I don't think I would need one of these in MY arsenal, but they are quite effective. Anything that allows me to make the ground shake in a big square cement building gets an A+ in my book!!
  10. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Bag End has a few different INFRA processors, some go down to 18hz and the top-of-the line one goes down to 8hz. I've worked for a pro sound company that has a big Bag End ELF system with 28 18" subs. There's really nothing else like it, even from top-shelf companies like Martin and Meyer. The cafe I work at just got a small Bag End system last week with two TA6000 mid/high cabs and a 2x10 INFRA sub. We mostly have acoustic folk acts and jazz groups at the cafe, and the sound is phenomenal.

The ELF/INFRA system runs drivers/cabinets below their resonant frequencies so the response is very even. Because the cabinets are sealed the transients are unbelievably quick, tight and punchy. Since it doesn't use a low-pass filter there's no phase distortion or time-smear weirdness. That said, you would probably p!ss off most sound people by having better subs than them, and I can see a lot of problems with rumble, feedback, and mic bleed if you used one in a bass rig onstage. And, since they're little and go way low, they're not very efficient.

On a slightly different note, the Bag End site shows that they now have a 6 pound 500w @8ohms/1000w @ 4 ohms amplifier that can be built into most of their cabinets...sounds like fun!
  11. Holy smokes! :eek:

I just called Bag End, and John at Bag End tells me the following:

It hasn't been announced yet, however, in AUGUST at select dealers, a brand new S-15d type cabinet will be offered - and it will be a powered cabinet of similar ilk to this amplifier you are discussing above! :hyper:

He said that it won't be as powerful as the amplifier currently being offered on the Bag End site, however, it will be 'substantial', and I got him to narrow it down to the 300-600 watt range. He said that the cabinets will NOT be covered in carpet, however, in either vinyl or a wood type finish seal that Bag End has offered on cabinets in the past...

How AWESOME would that be...the single S-15d plus 5 pounds, and carry around the pre-amp of your choice! :cool:
  12. fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    having ACTUALLY OWNED THEM i can say bag end makes some of the best cabs out there
  13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    My favorite rig at Winter NAMM this year other than the Phil Jones stuff was a Bag End 18 w/Elf processor paired with a Bag End coax 410 driven by a Milennia TD-1 into a Crest power amp. Even at low volume...

If I had a roadie...
  14. The ELF will indeed get down that low... but it does not make a whole lot of noise doing it.

Cone movement increases 4x for every octave lower, at the same loudness level. The driver in the ELF cabinet has a certain amount of excursion, therefore a certain amount of SPL it can attain. This appears to be approximately 87 dB, full power, at 1 meter, at 10 Hz. This ain't very loud...

The ELF control circuitry counter balances the 12dB/octave natural rolloff of a sealed driver. This means it maintains a constant loudness level as it goes lower. The maximum loudness level at the lowest working frequency will be maintained across the upper frequencies.

The ELF Concealment technology rolls off the lower frequencies to allow for higher output from the higher frequencies. This is a 12dB/octave slope... just like a sealed woofer. You can make more noise using Concealment, but it rolls off the bottom end.

You will need a lot of cone area (lots of drivers) to make lots of noise with the ELF. And lots of bux to pay for that expensive technology.