Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bag End has an new 15 cab out and I just bought one.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cb56, Sep 21, 2002.

1. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Bag End has an new 15 cab and I just bought one.
    I recently sent bass NW an email asking about a used Bag End S15B-D. It's the big brother to the S15-D cube that we all know and love. The difference is a much larger and unfortuanatley heavier cab with better bass response. I really didn't want to get another bulky cumbersome cab but even though I loved the nice punchy tone I was getting from my 2 cabs, I just wasn't getting the low end that I wanted out of my double S15-D set up.

Here is the response from Bass NW. I deleted some things from the email like prices and stuff because I they probably don't want me posting their prices on the internet.

"I will try to let you know via e-mail if we get this cabinet in used. But, this is not a very common model and not one that we see often. We just got in a new model of Bag End 1X15" cabinet that is not yet listed on their web site that sounds great. It is called for now the Bag End S-15 CUS (custom) model and will later be called the S15S-D model. It is a 1X15" speaker (same one that is used in the S15-D and S15B-D cabinets) that is built into the same cabinet size as the D10BX-D 2X10" cabinet. So, it is deeper in size and has incredible bass response and output. We just got two in and are really impressed. .....The only thing about the S15B-D is that it is quite bulky to haul around. Please give our retail store location a call if you would like more detailed assistance with this."

Any way I just purchased one of these on their recommendation and will let you all know how it sounds when it gets here. can't wait.

2. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    What's the frequency response on this monster?

3. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    That I don't know. I am buying this cab sight unseen (sound unheard?) I know that will get many of you shaking your heads but if it sounds anything like the other bag end cabs I have played, I will be happy. As soon as I get it or any info on it I will post. Yes I know I am taking a risk buying this cab without listening to it but I think I can trust the reputation of bag end and Bass NW. If I end up feeling like I made a big mistake, I will let everybody know.

4. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Let us know. I'm looking for a 15 to augment my low end, and not just the low mids. This cab has peaked my interest.

5. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    Ohio
    I have one of these. The freq. response is 40-4khz, and it is a monster weighing in at 80 pounds or so, ut if you like good sound, than it is worth it.

This cabinet generates the lowest of lows. Ot has a removable front port also. When in place, the sound is very dry, middy, and tight. When removed, it gets really, really low. Amazing.

When I can, i use it in conjunction with an S-15 D, and the tone is just incredible.

6. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    Ohio
    I have one of these. The freq. response is 40-4khz, and it is a monster weighing in at 80 pounds or so, ut if you like good sound, than it is worth it.

This cabinet generates the lowest of lows. Ot has a removable front port also. When in place, the sound is very dry, middy, and tight. When removed, it gets really, really low. Amazing.

When I can, i use it in conjunction with an S-15 D, and the tone is just incredible.

7. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Right, the specs for that cab (S15B-D) are listed on Bag End's web page, but the cab I bought (S15-cus) isn't listed yet.

8. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    So would you say the response will probably be below 40hz? I'm looking for something that will go at least down to 35hz -3db. I love the big low end.

9. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    No I'm saying I don't know yet. My guess is that the S15B-D has better low end response than the cab I'm buying. But the trade off will be portability. Check out the S18B-D (36-2kHz) if you are interested in deep low end.

10. 5StringThing

5StringThing Guest

Sep 22, 2002
    So you're saying the new Bag End cab you've bought goes down to 5 Hz at 123 db? Wow, that's awesome! I sure hope you're right; in fact, I'm going to buy 6 of them, and if you're NOT right, well, let's just say you'll be receiving my bill via your E-mail addy... I hope that was funny:(

11. Sprinkler

Sprinkler [account disabled]

Jul 31, 2002
    lol, that WAS funny :D

12. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    More scary than funny :eek:

Don't do that to me!
    Well ok it was funny.:D

13. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Well it's here, ( Bag end S15 CUS) and yes it has plenty of low end and sounds great with my S15-d on top of it. :D I'll use it on a gig tomorrow and try to get some pics soon. I think it weighs about 60 lbs so i can still pick it up with one hand.

14. 5StringThing

5StringThing Guest

Sep 22, 2002
    OK, cool; I'm glad you got back to us. So, you're saying *ahem*;) that it weighs around 60 lbs? That is surprising, as the other 15's weigh about that (I think?) I was expecting this new cab to be heavier. Is it just a matter of the cabinet being larger, and so "bulkier" and harder to lug around? I'm very interested in getting some Bag Ends, so I look forward to hearing about the gig. Could you pretend to have a sore-throat and show up at your Doctor's, Bag End cab under your sweater, and weigh it on a 100%, clinically-proven, ANSI-certified, OSHA-reg official scale? Or something? Now I'll go visit the Bag End site to see if they have posted info on it yet; how excited am I!

15. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Ok, it (S-15 CUS) weighs 60 lbs. The S15-D (the little guy) weighs 44 lbs. and the S15B-D (the even bigger cab with font port)weighs 70lbs. Also they won't have it listed for awhile. It is still very portable. 22x18x18 same as the D210 cabs. I think two of these with the 210 cab would be......heavenly:D

16. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Compare and contrast volume and tone with a S15-D, por favor...

17. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I did (at home) Volume is the same. Tone, the
    S15-CUS has more low end and maybe less punchy presence than the S15-D. As a stand alone cab I still would choose the S15-D cube, but I think with 2 cabs they seem to compliment each other well. One is punchy, growly low mids and the other has that good rumble to it. This is all of course what my ears are hearing after 20 minute of playing/listening. Others may hear something compleatly different. Tomorrow at the gig will be interesting.

18. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Yup! It passed the gig test. Tons of sweet low end rumble. And at 60 lbs. still very portable.

19. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Great! Does this mean you're going to keep your S15-Ds now? ;)

BTW, what are the cable jack options on the new cab? Does it have Speakons?

20. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    And two months later he replies....
    Sorry Heavy duty I didn't see your last post. I sold one of my S15D's to finance the purchase of this cabinet. No speakon jack, just 1/4 inch and banana.