Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jacochops, Dec 22, 2005.

1. jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    I just picked up a MINTY Bag End 1X12 ELF cab....150 at GC out the door! It sounds GREAT...I'm just wondering if the bag End 1X12 sounds any different from their standard 1X12 offering? Am I getting any added benefit from having the ELF cab? I'm not using the ELF system, but I was wondeing this because the magnet on this thing is HUGE and super-heavy! Any better handling of the "non-ELF-frequency" lows?
    Thanks for your help!
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    bad news.

the elf cabs are way different from the normal cabs. They're designed to be used with an ELF system and a lot of power. The only other processer that would help you to use the elf cab would be the low pass filter on an alembic superfilter (this is per a phone conversation with some of the cats at bag end, and having used a superfilter, i belive it). At teh very least you'll need a crossover to run only ultra lows into it.

the problem is that the elf cab is only supposed to be getting frequencies from about 65 hz and down. It's not voiced as anything but a sub.

a regular bag end s12 is a whole different animal. same size, small port in the back, different speaker with a ton of midrange clarity and attack.

Shame on anyone who sold that to you without telling you that the cab needs additional equipment to work properly. :eyebrow:
  3. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I've seen small Elf cabs pretty cheap, and plugged a bass amp in at the store to be sure it worked, knowing I'd need an integrator. Is there any harm in using it without one though? If you liked the sound, and didn't care if you were losing high end response, and had the power to get the volume you wanted? Or perhaps running it full range, if the result is it's basically just a sub, and pairing that little setup with another little setup for mids/highs? I had heard that without the integrator the Elf cabs were lacking in bass respoonse, but the one I tried sure seemed to have enough for me to use as a sub. Not that I'd do it, I've got 2 Bergantino subs already, but I'm curious.
  4. jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    back to GC it goes... :scowl:
  5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    If they give you any flak returning it, I would take it off of your hands for you! ;)
  6. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Not to butt in...

But if Tom will match what you paid...I'd take him up on it.

That would keep GC from sharking someone else without telling them the details on the cab.
  7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the big problem with those cabs is they are designed to be used from 65 hz down. not very efficient either. sound great with an elf/infra processor (or very good with the low pass of a superfilter, or OK with the low out of a crossover), but sound terrible with an amp run full range into 'em.
  8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    +1 - The ELF's are really part of a system rather than a stand alone cab. Now if you could get the processor, an amp and then hook it up to your stereo ... I have a feeling it would put my Paradigm to shame ...
  9. My D12E's are only rated at 400 watts each and they complain quide audibly if you give them more than that. I've been using them with my Fender 400PS with no problems whatsoever. Like the thread originator said, his speaker sounds great!

The 'problem' with the ELF cabs is that if you look at the ELF processor frequency response plot, it's a steep slope gain below 100 Hz, somewhere on the order of 6dB per octave, IIRC. Since they're made for the tremendous excursion that generates and since they've lost the filtered mids and highs that the ELF provides, just get heavy-handed with your EQ. IOW, all you 'flat amp settings guys' need not apply.

With a passive tone stack, you'll need to run the lows wide open and kill the mids and highs to taste. With active tone controls, the same principles apply, but you may not need to boost the low end so much. My D12E's can sound VERY similar to an old SVT 8x10.
  10. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Just revisiting one my all time favorite threads. I picked up 2 D12E cabinets for $162 each to use with my 400PS. I know everyone agrees they sound bad at best, at worst will distort the space time continuum... except Psycho, who has the same amp. I wanted a modular setup, several cabs that will fit in 1 car vs 1 huge cab modified to run the amp's 3 inputs.

Very happy. Sounds wicked. Now I'm on the hunt for another, so I can run all 3 outputs. I have other 4 ohm cabs now, but I'd prefer all 3 cabs be the same so that when I EQ for the Elf cabs I don't end up causing the odd cab to sound less than great, like I could now.

Now I'll have to admit this setup may very well still distort the space time continuum, but in a good way.