Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bag end hiss help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by funkastorious, Aug 11, 2000.

1. funkastorious

funkastorious

May 26, 2000
    Mpls, MN.
    Here's the scenario, sorry for the length....

Just got a Bag End S15-D to replace my (2) 4ohm Eden 2x10 cabs. Sure, they sounded good, but I needed (1) 8 ohm cab to replace them because I also play with an 8ohm Ampeg 4x10HE. (Life is rough). My main amp is a recently upgraded Eden WT-300 to a WT-400.

Never have I had problems with hissing and my Eden gear. (I also own a WT-500).

I was excited to get the BE cab, plugged it in...and it imediately made a high hiss, not extremely loud, but definately noticeable when not playing. Initally, I thought it must be my amp, so I plugged in my 4x10 and everything was fine.

I called Bag End to see if there were any electronic inside the little guy and the answer was no. The only reason the Bag Eng rep could think of was that their cabinets are, by nature, MUCH more sensitive than the typical cab.

When playing the cab, it sounds like a million bucks...minus that noise.

So, my question is whether other Bag End users out their hear ANY sort of noise from their cabs.

2. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    The frequency response of the coaxial high frequency speaker in the Bag End is much higher (20kHz) than the Eden tweeter (14kHz).
    You should be able to adjust the treble down abit to compensate. If not you may have an AC power problem, ground loop, bad ground, RF noise.
    Hope this helps.

Vic