Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bag End in Chicago...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wolfs, Mar 2, 2006.

1. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    Fellow Chicagoans, lend me your knowledge. Is there anywhere in the city proper that carries Bag End and has them in stock? Specifically, I want to check out the S15 and S12. I contacted Bag End and they told me about Brookdale Music in Naperville; however, I'm car-less (hence my interest in Bag End for a possible, portable public transit/cab rig) and I wanted to take CTA to my destination if at all possible.

If no other option presents itself I'll probably beg a ride out to Naperville, but I hate to do that to my wonderful and patient friends if it can be avoided. I'm not looking to buy a new cab any time real soon, I just want to find out if somebody in town regularly stocks them so I could test them out at my leisure. Any help is appreciated.

2. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    No Bag End love in the Chicago? How am I gonna read my Tolkien and play it, too? :smug:

3. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    This goes without saying, but before you take the hour ride, call and see what's on the floor in terms of the BEs. Brookdale is pretty limited in what they carry in stock. Can't say I've been there in a few years, but last I was there they had maybe 5 basses on the wall.

4. tbass-chicago

tbass-chicago

Oct 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I know people who have purchased Bag End in the area. One of my friends used to work at Sam Ash in Lombard, and he would place the order through there. You won't find a place that has it in stock, but there are probably places you can order it. Another good place to go is Hix Music in Aurora, since the recomendations the staff makes there can be trusted. You have to do your research before going to Sam Ash. Depends on where you're living, though. I'm sure there's stores throughout Chicago that can order it.

5. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    Great advice, guys. Yeah, John from Bag End told me I should definitely call before I dropped by Brookdale Music... and that they could probably get a S15 in stock if they didn't have one if I was interested. I really just wanted to see if the word on the street could help me out. Anyone else?

6. Bag End HQ is in Barrington IL, about 90 minutes or so west of Chicago.

7. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    Yeah, I know! That's why it's so weird, to me at least, that there isn't someone that stocks Bag End in Chicago... I mean, this is a city with a music heritage. The thought has crossed my mind, just dropping by Barrington, but again I'm car-less so a 90 minute drive versus a 30 minute drive really does make a difference.

8. BIGREDSIX

BIGREDSIX Supporting Member

Whereabouts in Chitown are you? I'm in the south suburbs and have an S15X-D (the one with the coax) that I'm probably going to put on the block.

9. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    I'm up in the Andersonville/Edgewater area... the other side of the city map from you. I really don't know if I'm going to prefer the S15 or the S12 (or want a Bag End at all, they're just one brand I'm looking into) which is why I want to try them out at a store in a no pressure to buy situation... it would be easy if Guitar Center had them, as much as I detest GC, because I don't care about walking in there, playing something for hours, then walking out purchasing nothing.

Plus, my plan is: if I like the Bag End, to shell out for the birch enclosure because I have cats that shed like I'll give them more food if they do... and, hey, the birch looks sweet, too. But thanks for the offer.

10. Whoopysnorp

Whoopysnorp

Feb 5, 2006
    Last time I was in the Guitar Center on Halsted they did have a used Bag End cab, but I think it was a 4x10.

11. It's a little drive, but Low Down Sound in Detroit (Ferndale) has two of the small 15's (I think one coax and one standard) and the 410 in stock. They've been sitting there quite a while... so I assume a deal could be had.

12. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    I think that one's been there for quite awhile. I did play it for a bit and it sounded nice but it's far too heavy for what I'm looking for... actually, after playing that one, I looked into Bag End to see what else they had. I really would prefer something light and portable (and not covered in carpeting)...

Which "L" stop is that? :p Seriously, I guess I should just get a car; however, I might be moving to NYC in less than a year so getting a car now seems silly (and a portable, relatively light rig seems prudent).

13. Sounds like the EA NL210 to me... very light, reasonably loud (not 'Schroeder loud'.. but enough to do medium sized gig with no problem), and with a 'hard cover' coating... very nice. It also now comes in 4ohm version, which is great if you are only going to use a single cab with a traditional mono head.

14. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    Thanks for the rec, I'll put the EA on the list, too. I don't even know where in the city I can try one of those out! Like if I head over to Midwest Buy and Sell (which is a trek but do-able) they haven't even heard of Aguilar... I bought my Aggie S210 on faith because I wasn't happy with the Ampegs, GKs, and SWRs that I had tried at GC and a few other places. And, while I like my S210, I feel like I lucked out and I never want to buy something else without playing it first.

But that presents a problem since good bass gear has such a small market, coupled with more internet transactions, less guitar shops are stocking bass stuff. It's good business sense, but still it makes it a pain in the rear for us (but I'm preaching to the choir here, you guys already know this stuff).

I guess what I find appealling about Bag End (from what I've read on this site) is that it's loud and has an aggressive mid-range which I feel is lacking in my S210. I like the tone on the S210 but I just want a different flavor... you know how it goes...

15. +1 on the Bags having wonderful, punchy warm mids. It you like that sound, IMO the EA NL210 is in the same general tone family.... lot's of nice mids, but much more low end extension than the small Bags.

16. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    Thanks for your help, Ken. (Now I have even more possibilities and even less certainty ;) )

17. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The Bag End factory on Pepper Rd. is only a few miles from the Barrington Metra station (Northwest line). Don't have any idea if they have a demo room, etc.

My original suggestion was to tell you to take the CTA to O'Hare, grab a plane to Seattle, then take public transportation to Bass NW. I don't know what their inventory is like though... That place will make your head spin!!!!

18. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    Ha! Awesome... wish I could afford to.

19. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    OK then..check with Chicago Bass Club (in Alsip, IIRC) and see if they have any Schroeder Mini 12s... or similar small cabinets.