Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bag End - No love any more?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by knuckle_head, Jan 9, 2004.

1. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    They are becoming rarer live as I've noticed.....

Too much buck for the bang?

Curious as well on y'all's take on the ELF/Infra.

2. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    No lack of love here either.
    The S15-D is an awesome lightweight 15" cab. Not too expensive either.

3. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    I've owned a 2-12 for about 20 years. An amazing cab, indeed (loaded with EVMs).

I'm just waiting for them to start offering neodymium as an option -- now that I'm getting to old and lazy to lug big ceramic magnets.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The Bag End factory is about 8 miles from my house but I don't know of one dealer near me that carries them... And once I found a dealer, what's the likelyhood that they'd have any cabinets in stock?

5. AFAIK, the entire ELF series has been discontinued.

6. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    No, it's just been renamed to INFRA.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Still happy with my S15-D and D10BX-D deep coax 2-10.

8. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I've noticed that there haven't been a whole lot of posts lately about Bag End cabs. Must mean we are all out happily gigging with them.:bassist:

9. mbeall

mbeall

Jun 25, 2003
    I love mine too. I have never heard the Q10XD bottom out and I've abused the coax tweeters in both the Q10XD and the S15XD and never had a problem. They are very robust speakers and cabinets. I've also got an S18D and it's the tightest 18" I've ever heard. You could easily use it a stand alone in place of almost any single 15" cabinet (sans tweeter) on the market.

Mike

10. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I'm lovin' the snot out of my Q10B.

INFRA(ELF) on the way...:D

11. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Still think they're a happenin' cab. Was gonna go that route till I found the GS112s.

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Really... no point in rubbing it in for the BagEnd-less among us;)

13. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yes, lift up your hearts, LOVE is on the way!

I love my BagEnd cabs. All 12 of 'em!

Four S-15's and eight S-12's. For light gigs I use a "small stack", a single 15 and two 12's, and for bigger gigs multiply that as needed.

The only other bass speakers I use are EV's for subs, two 18" EVX-180A's and two 15" EVX-155's. They're a thousand watts each, and I use them for outdoor gigs.

The one thing I value most in a bass speaker, other than tone, is reliability. EV's are THE most reliable bass speakers I've ever used, they're almost impossible to kill. And BagEnd's are a close second, they're a little easier to kill but they'll give you a warning before they go belly up (they'll complain, you'll hear it:)

IMO the BagEnd S-15's especially are way under-rated, I regularly pump five or six hundred watts through each one and they're perfectly happy.

I LOVE my BagEnd's! They're reliable, and they sound good too. The farther away you get, the better they sound, and they sound pretty darn good close up!

14. LJW

LJW

Feb 8, 2002
    northeastern pa.
    I am very happy with my D10BD.

15. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I've never really considered Bag Ends to be high priced! My S15-Ds were in the $400 each range.

16. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    I thought my D10BX-D and S18Elf would provide the widest frequency response in the smallest package only to find out (from Coyoteboy) that Bag End builds custome spec cabinets. How many other manufactures do dat?

Does anybody know the story behind the name, "Bag End"?

17. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Bag End is an allusion to Tolkien.

18. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I seem to recall that maybe 25+ years ago the name Bag End came from a bag enclosed talk box device for guitar that hung on the end of the mic stand boom. I believe I saw in a Guitar Player ad.

However, I may be way, way off...

19. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    As for custom stuff from bag end, remember that Bag End (Modular Sound) is a pretty well known commercial sound company with installations in many a concert hall and other venues. They are not just a guitar/bass amp company. So, if someone wants it, they'll probably build it. And I've always liked the idea that my speaker box was made by Hobbits.

20. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    :D