1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bag End Not "Hi-Fi" enough.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GODSENT, Mar 22, 2013.

1. GODSENT

GODSENT

Mar 2, 2007
    Hi guys, I got a Bag End Q10BX-D thur a trade at a local music store along with a Thunderfunk head. The head sounds fantastic but the cab has me desiring more highs. If anymore is familiar with the Thunderfunk heads I have the high trim turned all the way up and the high frequency all the way up, and it still seems like the his aren't there like they should be. The can gets very deep and I've tried to trim back the bass but the hiss still aren't giving me that fulfill range sound i'm looking for.... I'm using a Ken Smith bass. Any suggestions?

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Does this cab have the coax tweeter? Is it functioning?

3. Foz

Foz

Jul 26, 2008
    Jax FL USA
    Try a greenboy cab... they got lows AND mids covered. If you got an AB nearby they can hook you up with a demo - or try the user map at the bottom of GB's forum - lots of the user will let you try their cabs.

Also you might PM JimK at GB's forum I think he uses a Thunderfunk and a 12/6-tube

IMG_8718.

http://greenboy.us/forum/index.php

http://greenboy.us/

4. jungleheat

jungleheat Banned

Jun 19, 2011
    DC
    If I'm understanding you right and you have a parametric high on your amp, you should try turning it DOWN in fact, to get more highs. If you have the frequency set at something crazy like 16k, you won't be affecting your bass much. But down in the 4-10k or so range, it could make a lot of difference. Play around sweeping the frequency knob with the "trim" knob boosted up a little bit, and that will give you an idea of what each frequency sounds like so you can better dial in your sound.

5. GODSENT

GODSENT

Mar 2, 2007
    Yes it has the coax tweeter, and it's functioning, it's just not as present as say an Aguilar, Tc, Swr etc........

6. GODSENT

GODSENT

Mar 2, 2007
    I played a CD thru the amp, and played with the frequencies, it sounds more mid high treble-ish than clear highs, even after dialing the mids highs down......would getting a speakon made help? From what I've read it bi-amps the signal into the cab, maybe it would help push the highs a bit more....

7. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Wow. Gonna ruin a nice cab real quick.
    A speakon is just a connector; not a crossover, much less an amplifier.

8. GODSENT

GODSENT

Mar 2, 2007
    I would like to use the Neutrik Speakon connectors on my Bag End speakers. How should the cables be wired? The Neutrik Speakon NL4MP connector is a keyed, high current, four conductor device which allows both the high and low frequency signals for a bi-amped loudspeaker system to run through the same 4-conductor cable. Bag End uses pin 1+ and pin 1- for connection to subwoofers. Pin 2+ and pin 2- are used for mid/high loudspeakers. All four conductors on both Speakon connectors are wired in parallel, but only two conductors are connected to the driver(s) in the enclosure. This permits an easy parallel connection to other similar loudspeakers (if your amplifier can handle the lower impedance load) and allows the use of a short “jumper” between the subwoofers and the mid/high speakers in a bi-amped system. Banana and 1/4" phone jacks are also provided on mid/high loudspeakers. Subwoofers include banana jacks on each circuit ("Low" and "High").

That's direct from the website.

9. BryanB

BryanB Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Thunderfunks are not known for their HI's or super lows. I played this combination, sans the coaxial tweeter for years. More of a modern take on a vintage tone. Try a different head.

10. oerk

oerk

Oct 16, 2009
    Bavaria
    This is if you have an active crossover and separate amps _before_ the 4-pin conductor cable. Or a head with built-in biamping, which the Thunderfunk is (IIRC) not. And would only help you if you had a separate subwoofer cab. The cab itself is not intended to be biamped in itself, nor would it help in itself. Not the solution for your problem, I'm afraid.

If the internal crossover of the cab has resistors built-in for the tweeter, you can get a tech to reduce the resistance, thus rising the tweeter level.

11. ersheff

ersheff

Jan 8, 2012
    As an owner of a Bag End S12 and S15 stack, all I can say is "blech"!
    My cabs don't even have tweeters and they sound great. Plenty of definition, would definitely have more high-end if I was using brighter strings (I've got lightly aged flats on now).
    Tweeters are for... I don't know, acoustic guitar?
    Anyway, your cab should have the coax tweeter behind one of the 10" cones (the red one). You should verify that it's even working. Perhaps with the volume low, stick your head in front of the red cone and one of the other speakers and see if you even notice a difference. If not, my guess would be the tweeter got disconnected or is dead otherwise.

12. zfunkman

zfunkman

Dec 18, 2012
    I play an Orange Terror Bass through Two 1x15 Bag Ends; one is a coaxiel. They sound incredible. Bag End are very high end cabinets and you sould be able to get them to sound good with a Thunderfunk.

13. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Which works perfectly if you have a rig that has a crossover before the cabinet, or you have a cabinet that's built to accept a bi-amped signal. Which is not your case.

14. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I would just trade for another cab if that's possible take your head and try some different cabs.

15. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    This can be rewired. I just use speakon to 1/4" on mine to get full-range tone. I have the S15X-D

16. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    Godsend : you might be a candidate for PA stuff.

I too , look for "as Hi-Fi as possible" monitoring for bass and ended up with active PA boxes with a preamp/processor.
    I use active monitor for +-20 years.

Check stuff from RCF , JBL , QSC , Meyer ,etc.... there is sooooo much stuff on that side of the store :)

I presently use an L'Acoustic 108p top with a RCF 902as sub.
    Sounds even better than my studio's LSR reference .....

17. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Such is the nature of this cab.

You can't biamp the one whizzer 10" in this cab, and, even if you could, you can't do that with your Thunderfunk.

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    This. I don't recall where the high's center frequency maxes out but if it's above what the cab reproduces it'll make no difference. Set it lower and try again.

19. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Which Ken Smith bass?

20. Zentner

Zentner Supporting Member

This makes sense. I used to own this cab, and the Coaxial speaker is alot smoother and fatter sounding up top than a typical tweeter. It bridges the gap between classic and modern, but certainly doesn't do the hi-fi clicky slap tone so well.

I think you'd be more satisfied with something from Epifani, GK, or some of the new super cabs (fEARful, Audiokinesis, Acme, etc.)