Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by CBFinet, Dec 25, 2002.

1. CBFinet

Nov 11, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    I've been looking into some speaker cabinets to go along with a Walter Woods high-power amp, and I thought I would get some tips from the knowledgeable people on this board. i haven't completely decided between a 1 12" or 2 10" configuration, so for the sake of discussion, lets say I am comparing apples to apples and oranges to oranges: The Bag End S12R-D vs. the Bergantino HT112 or the Bag End D10BX-D vs. the Bergantino HT210.
    Any information on the performance of any of these cabs would be appreciated. I play my old early 1800's German Flatback 3/4 95% of the time, rarely using the electric for an occasional funk gig, so I need something that will sound great with the upright.
  2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

I own a Bergantino HT112 and a Bag End 15, so I can make a semi-relevant comment on your question. The Bag End is a great BG cab, with lots of color and low end coloration, but I've not had much luck with it as a DB cab. Of course, it's a 15" and not a 12", so take that with a grain of salt.

The Bergantino is a much better DB cab, and it's nice and light and easy to carry around. The problem I have with mine is that it always comes in second to my EA cabs (CXL 112 and VL 208) when it comes time to decide what to take to a gig because it colors the sound more than either of them. I find that it's a pleasing color most of the time, but a color nonetheless. Still, it's a good DB cabinet, and when paired with either of the EA cabs, it sounds great.

About the 2x10 vs. 1x12 issue, my vote goes to the 1x12 hands down. Just my opinion, but 2x10 cabs are a drag to lug around, don't sound any better than a good high end 1x12, and put a funny coloration in the low mids that I don't care for for DB - yes, I realize that this is a gross generalization, but on the other hand, I stand by it because it's been my impression of just about every 2x10 I've ever played. I'd go with a 1x12, and if it seems to be maxing out at times, get another 1x12 when you can afford it. Most of the time you'll only need one, and for those times you need more, you'll have a ****load more headroom wih two 12's than you would have had with a 2x10. Good luck.
  3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I'm a 12" guy as well.

(chirp, chirp)

But my recommendation would be to get a hold of the things and try them out. I'm running a 1X10, which is neat because it's small, but the nasal/cold thing that I just can mix out with my WW. I used to have a Trace Elliott 4x10 for Slab, and I had the same problems with it, liking my Bag End 1x15 a whole lot better.
  4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Ed - was that in heels or barefoot? Pretty short either way...
  5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    The Voice is a little less subtle than that! ;)
  6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    :D ;)

We have The Reader here - their Matches section is priceless. The "Other" category is the best!
  7. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I believe that in the Voice this section is called 'Anything Goes'.
  8. I'm with DURRL (Chris) on this one - go for the 12's and Bag End may be a better fit for the Slab than the Bass .

I've had pretty good experiences with combining my Acoustic Image Contra with either an Euphonic Audio CXL 112 or a Bergantino HTT112, and I look forward to finding a decent deal on a used AI Clarus to use with one or more of the aforementioned cabs. I am extremely confident that either of those cabs would sound mighty fine with that ultra Wally of yours, and both would be just sick.

The only 2x10 I've liked with my DB was the Acme Low B2, which was very even, smooth, and had plenty of headroom. While that cab was less of a portability pain, all the iron I had to lug around to drive that power-hungry bastard more than overtook the Acme's portability benefits. While on the topic of schlepping, the EA CVL 112 is certainly no feather, but the Berg 12 is pretty easy to tote.

Also, I seem to remember a dealer mentioning that the Berg 12 without the tweeter is just a bit more sensitive and will play a bit louder, which (if true) would address my only reservation about the Berg - by itself it won't hold up with either of my loud drummers.

9. CBFinet

Nov 11, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks for the replies you guys, Based on your responses and my own thought, I'm leaning towards 1-12, possibly two cabinets. Before, I was just considering the Bag End and Bergantino, but it seems like I should add the EA CXL-112 as well. What are your opinions on these three speakers (Bag End S-12D, Bergantino HTT 112, and the EA CXL-112)? If I went for the Bag End or Bergantino, I could probably afford 2, but the price of the EA would limit me to one for a while. I'm more concerned about superior sound than anything else, so any suggestions about these cabinets or other cabinets I might be overlooking would be helpful.
  10. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
  11. Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    I have two Bag Ends 210, the heavier model and I am really happy with the sound, it's a little heavy tough, but once on the gig no worries, I also have the bag end 112, and by itself is not the best cab, I usually prefer to take my GK MB200 and maybe use the bag end 112 as an extension speaker. Truth is playing with an amp sucks! especially when you get more sound out of a speaker (any speaker) than your bass.
  12. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Here, hear!

I think the day that they get the laser-mic thing affordable will be the day that things change. I envision the ultimate solution to be a multi-point laser with a micro-processor doing the math and putting the sound back together.

I think I'll also be too old to give a hoot when the day comes that it's in my price range.

As far as amps/cabs go, real problem is getting a good signal to the amplifier. There are a lot of great amps and cabinets out there. Crap in, crap out.
  13. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I have a Bergantino HT-112 as well as some other cab's that I use with a WW Ultra. I like the sound of the Bergantino a lot, especially with my bass guitar, although I find that to get it to sound full, you have to turn up the bass control on either the instrument or the amp. My main BG rig is the HT-112 combined with an Acme B-1 powered by the WW Ultra. If you want the cabinet almost exclusively for upright, I would highly recommend the Acme B-1. It is light, not very expensive and has tons of clean, uncolored low end. I get a lot of compliments on how natural my upright bass sounds with the B-1 and the WW, and it also sounds wonderful with my Eminence travel bass. I also own an EA VL-110 and a VL-208, both of which are fine cabinets, but I find the sound of upright to be far superior through the Acme B-1.

You'll read various posts about the low efficiency of the Acme, but I wouldn't be concerned about this. First, the WW Ultra has more than enough power to overcome any inefficiency and second, to get great low end tone, the cabinet has to be inefficient. The reason that the super efficient cab's like the EA CXL-112 (and to some extent the Bergantino 112) sound so mid-rangey is that their efficiency comes at the price of sacrificed low end.
  14. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I have two Bag Ends,,,a S15D and a S12D. The 15 is a great Bass Guitar cab but is a little boomy for my upright. The 12 is perfect for my URB but not quite deep enough for my 5 string BG. That's why I have both. Love 'em both in their appropriate application.
    Don't have experience with the Berg but I have auditioned the EA which I thought was a nice cab.
  15. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    My experience with the EA and Bergantino cabs has been the opposite - the EA sacrifices nothing, and the Bergantino is a bit short in the low end. YMMV.
  16. mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    A friend came over the other day with an EA CXL-110 cabinet he's selling as it doesn't handle the low C on his slabs or his new NS 5 string upright... but it sounds perfect with my 4-stringers. I ran my BugBass through my K&K, into his Clarus amp and into the EA, and it never sound so good. Or so woody. The EA cab delivers the fidelity to match the Contra and enough bottom end for a low E..

He left the amp and the cab at my place "for you to try out for a few days". And that's why I gotta sell my GK MB200 and my SWR!
  17. CBFinet

Nov 11, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    Okay, now that I've done some more homework on the subject, I've pretty much narrowed it down to EA and Bergantino, realizing that the Bag end stuff is great, but more suitable for bass guitar. I'm interested in two possible configurations; either 2 1-12" cabinets from either manufacturer, or 1 2-10" cabinet plus an additional cabinet. With the Bergantino, the additional cabinet would be the 1 15", but I'm more interested in the EA VL 208. Does anyone have any information on this cabinet or a place where I can get the specs on it? I think I'd rather go with the EA stuff, but I can't fina a whole lot of information on the models they don't carry anymore. Thanks again
  18. scoote3639

Mar 16, 2004
    im 62 years young and have been playing for 45 years. I have had EVERYTHING out there at some point. I bought 4 Bergantino HT112 cabinets around 2001 because I liked them.
    I have powered them with countless heads ,pre-amp power amp combinations They sound killer good with everything i have powered them with.I still have and use those cabinets every weekend and they sound as good or better to my ears than anything else Ive heard.
    My current gigging head is a GK 2001RB and two cabs. Superb sound. if I try to use all 4 cabs its utterly ridiculous how mighty nice it is.I never need more than the 2 cabs and I play in classic rock,dance band. hope this helps.
  19. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    CBFinet, VL 208's are very unique cabinets you might want to
    PM me. Here are the specs. Euphonic Audio VL specs.jpg

Ric Vice
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2016