Bag End PS10N-N

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by neptune, Nov 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
    Does anyone have any insight or experience with these relatively new powered cabs?

Other than a relatively general spec. sheet on Bag End's website there doesn't appear to be much info. available.

2. davidl13

davidl13

Oct 15, 2011
    USA distributor: www.optogateonline.com
    I own 3 powered bag end cabs, all coated in nebula black

1 - 210 w coax
    2 - single 18 subs

What would you like to know?

3. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Bayside, New York
    I own two powered 15’s from Bag End also in the Nebula Finish..
    What information are you looking for?

davidl13 and svtb15 like this.
  4. 57pbass

Aug 1, 2004
    Bayside, New York
    The Minima One Power amp that Bag End uses is rated at 1400 watts. They use it in many of their different configurations across their product line. The limiters in my single 15” cabinets are set for 400 watts @ 8ohms.
    When the two cabinets are connected the power/ohms do not change..it’s basically a direct out to the second powered cabinet. Very different from a traditional amp/passive cabinet rig.
    Unfortunately you cannot connect a powered cab and a passive cab together ..One Of my first questions..

1- Does it sound good? Since these cabs are impossible to test before purchasing, I went with the many years of experience using the passive Bag End 15” cabs..they always delivered. I totally trusted Bag End with this purchase.

I have been experimenting with these powered cabs at home with a few different pre amps and I’m very happy with the results..very accurate reproduction of what’s plugged in.
    For those looking for that top end sizzle you might consider the hi frequency driver. I have straight 15” speakers without the hi frequency driver.

I have my 1st show on Thanksgiving Friday at a big club..a true test. Will report back.

2 - Are They Loud ? - I have the pre levels at 9/10 o’clock and it’s all good..I don’t play too loud so I’m not expecting any problems with volume/fidelity.

3 - Will It Break - I don’t know if you’re familiar with Bag End gear..it’s high end quality gear Made In USA...not expecting any problems..plus I’m real careful with my gear. I will get padded covers to protect the face of the power amp. The Nebula finish is really nice.. hi quality components throughout and solid construction...

4 - How Easy To Move? Very easy, retractable spring loaded handles on both sides..cabs weight 48lbs.. not bad for a great speaker and amp.

5 - Cost? I purchased these cabs from Dale Audio..they gave me a tremendous deal..they were in line with the hi End cab builders product.. money well spent.

After I placed the order I received a call from Bag End asking what I was using cabs for, what type of bass, what type of pre..what type of music.. they set my cabs accordingly..

Let me know if you have any questions...

BadExample, neptune and davidl13 like this.
  5. davidl13

davidl13

Oct 15, 2011
    I use the 2-18" with the high pass set to 8hz.. and it has an internal low pass at 95.. so these are subs..

The 210 has the high pass set to 95...

If I were using the 210 without the sub I would set the high pass to 50...

Stacking these 3 cabs, places the 210 right at ear level for me.. so I really don't turn it up that loud... I don't need to... The 2- 18" cabs really add a great bottom, but it is only from 95hz down... So most if the sound comes out of the 210..

The system sounds great.. it sounds big and smooth.. across a broad range... I have the amount levels set to factory defaults at 12 o'clock.. I olug into the 210 and simple Daisy chain short XLR cables... Each cab works independently with it's own amplifier... Which makes it more costly than a single amp with many speakers... But you get added redundancy.. so I like it..

I use a power sequencer to power everything up staggered so I don't cause a 3 amplifier surge and power up the amps last and off first, so no thumps..

Bob_Ross, BadExample and neptune like this.
  6. 57pbass

Aug 1, 2004
    Bayside, New York
    David,
    That must be an amazing sounding system. What type of pre and bass are you using.
    I did notice the “pop” when I first received the cabs but now follow the sequence you mention when powering on and off.
    I’m still playing with the pre amp I have and will use the Mesa D800 pre for my first shows. I play a Nash Precision and a 4 string Sadowsky

7. davidl13

davidl13

Oct 15, 2011
    I was thinking the same thoughts about your 2 15" cabs! Ha! I would love to hear your 2 15 setup!

I have a modulus basstar graphite neck pbass, with a Seymour Duncan antiquity II pickup... the body, is a one piece solid mahogany body... it is a bit heavy, but balanced perfectly and sounds amazing...

Also I have a modulus 5 string 34" scale quantum 5..

I am more at home on a 4 string, and working on 5 string playing, however it could be that sonically, that basstar just has my number... and I come from guitar, so 4 string is more natural for me...

I am using a Demeter hpb1 preamp, Demeter rack compressor, and an alembic superfilter rack mount in the effects loop of the Demeter... it all sounds fancy, but really , it is the Demeter pre into the bag ends... but with the super filter at certain settings...and the 2-18 ... walls shake... it is quiet a thing..

Carvin is goin out of biz, but I just picked their power sequencer... which is really great, because each outlet has a front panel button to turn on and off each rear outlet... so I can easily shut down and isolate each powered cabinet to hear exactly what is going on...

D

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  8. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
    I haven't been on the site in a few weeks. I really appreciate your insight, Thanks. Both of your rigs sound like great setups, and since this my first foray into the world of powered cabs your posts are very helpful. I'm perplexed by the lack of choices in powered bass cabs on the market (?)

Anyway, for my application I'm looking for a small full range powered cab to use with my AER Amp One (200w 1x10) for smaller gigs that the AER alone can't handle. The PS10N-N is a recent introduction to the Bag End line, so there's not much collective user info. available, but it seems that it would be a good match with the AER.

...you guys have me thinking about changing my bigger Aguilar/Bergantino rig.

9. davidl13

davidl13

Oct 15, 2011

I have not tried the single 10, I have the PD10BX-N.. whch had 2 10s one of them having a coax tweeter.... If you want all the sparkly highs..and ate used to a tweeter, tell them you want the single 10 with the coax driver... If you want no tweeter, then a standard single 10... Powered cabs make all the sense... Redundant and no impedance mismatches... And more importantly.. the bag ends sound great and are built to last

10. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
    I had no idea they were so configurable. That's GREAT news. I think I lean toward the coax, since the AER doesn't have a tweeter.

Do the Bag Ends have a certain tonal signature when compared to say a Berg (punchy), Aguilar (fat and somewhat cushy)?....putting the powered/non-powered factor aside of course.

11. davidl13

davidl13

Oct 15, 2011
    Someone else can chime in on your question.. my experience is that bag end attempts to be more neutral and let the preamp create the color

12. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
    Cool, Thanks. I'm very happy with the preamp it'd be used with.

Now I just need to get over the sticker shock. It's not a cheap cabinet, especially given that it's a 1x10.

13. davidl13

davidl13

Oct 15, 2011
    ...you can buy fresh oats, or you can buy oats that have been run through the horse once...

BadExample likes this.
  14. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
    I hear you. Too bad freshly eaten oats aren't an option.

15. 57pbass

Aug 1, 2004
    Bayside, New York
    You’re looking at list prices and MSR.. call Dale Audio for pricing. Much less than listed on The Bag End price guide. Luis Rivera was my rep.
    With regards to your question about their sound.. they accurately reproduce what you put through them. I agree with Dave’s comments about them being neutral sounding...which is a great thing.
    I’m still messing with pre amps. The Mesa Subway di/pre is really working out..it’s silent and has loads of features that I use.
    To my surprise the Hartke Bass Attack is also a very nice pre..I won this at a clinic at Sam Ash.
    Tomorrow night will be my second show out and I’m really looking forward to playing three 1 hour sets..
    Good luck with your purchase.

davidl13 likes this.
  16. 57pbass

Aug 1, 2004
    Bayside, New York
    I was able to really test these cabs tonight.. used both cabs with the Mesa pre - Precision Bass and a Sadowsky 4 string maple / ash.
    They work really well..great volume and clarity.. especially on the low F and G notes.. very responsive to any pre amp adjustments. I do find that I’m using a bit more treble than I have in the past.set at 1 o’clock. I would usually b at 11 o’clock..
    So far this was a good purchase.. I have another show on the 16th and will be on break for a few weeks..I’ll mess with the pre amps that I have .

17. davidl13

davidl13

Oct 15, 2011

Which size cabinets did you get? Small , medium or large?

18. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
    Thanks guys. That's good news on the purchase price vs MSR. , I'll check with Dale Audio. I had earlier looked into it via Leinau A/V who was going to get one shipped to Washington Music Center in DC. I never received a call for a price quote, but I also could've been more proactive. Too busy with other things recently.

57P - if I can ask, what percent off off list price did you pickup your your 15s for?

19. 57pbass

Aug 1, 2004
    Bayside, New York
    18.5 x 18.5 x 15.5

davidl13 likes this.
  20. 57pbass

Aug 1, 2004
    Bayside, New York
    Approximately 30%

neptune likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022