Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bag End Q10BX-D, and Preamp question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 6-stringer, Jun 23, 2003.

1. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    Sorry if this has been done before. I haven't been around for a while. I just bought a Q10BX-D sight-unseen from ebay without ever trying one before. I live in an area where I can't demo high end gear, so take a leap of faith once in a while.

My ?s' are: What have your experiences been like with this cab, and what are some of the tonal characteristics unique to it? (it's pretty "flat", and has a wide freq. response from what I understand) What are the benifits/ drawbacks of owning one? Are they prone to any problem that I should be aware of?

Another thing. I'm buying an Aguilar db-659 pre, and running into a carvin DCM 1500 power amp, and into the bag. I've never seen anyone use a carvin power amp with a bass rig, and I'm wondering how they do. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Have no fear, the water your jumping into is very deep/loud. I use a D10-BX and despite its age of design it is very much a hi fidelity cabinet even by today's standards. Be confident your Bag End will portray any tone (with the exception of very low fundamentls) generated by any preamp you choose. While not exactly power hungry your Q10 is rated at 3200 watts peak. So if your intension is to use the Q10 for its loudness potential you might want to rethink your amplifier choice. Under real world conditions and with a clip limiter set in the on position it's in the Bag.