Bag End Q10X-D users..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by De Teng, Aug 11, 2004.

1. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    I just wondered whether you have some issues on stage, concerning the range of it is from 50Hz. I read a review where the reviewer said he couldn't almost hear any difference when he boosted his preamp 15dB in the low section (30-40Hz). He mentioned that it wasn't a real problem if you don't play heavy stuff like hardrock and metal for instance, but still you perhaps could use a 15" underneath to have the real low bottom when needed.

The cab is designed with help of John Patitucci en that isn't a real metalhead, neither am I, but I am a bit curious about this.

Because I don't have a lot of experience on stage with this cab and knowing that the low-mids are making the most difference in your sound (The bassdrum is going underneath, while guitars and vocals will go above the range of the bass most of the time in lighter genres. I play rock with a jazzy and funky edge myself, but also with very subtile and light songs),

I wondered if it is really true you need another cab underneath or not and what your experience is in general with this cabinet. Bag End gives great tone in the end. ;)
  2. The Q10 was one of my favorite cabs I've ever owned...have NOTHING bad to say about it. I don't have it today, just because I need something a little more modular. Never had a problem in the below 50hz catagory.
  3. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    I used mine for metal and they worked fantasically. The 50hz cut off didn't matter at all audibly; it reproduced my dingwall's B with ease.

They'll be up for sale at Bass Central sometime soon as I had to hock 'em for college money.

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...ya can't go wrong with any of BE's gear, all good stuff that delivers...

PS: My D10B-D is a staple in my sound & never "farts"...
  5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    having heard the 210 cabinet (the deeper version) i can't imagne anyone thinking it doesnt have enough lows
  6. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Nothing to worry about...very well. ;)

Not that I really need the big fat lows (in a metal/hardrock way of speaking) and I play bass with emphasis on the lowmid and high section, but still. Perhaps I'll put another 210 underneath, without the tweeter. But that's longterm-speaking and really not an issue at the moment. :D
  7. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I am a Bag End user for many years.
    I have a 2 x 12 and 2 single 15 cabs. I also had a 4 x 10 that I recently sold...tooo big for me to haul and it was an 8 ohm cab. They are making a 4 ohm version of the 4 x 10..not sure when but a rep told its in the works.
    Our band uses Bag End PA cabs as well TA5000C.

Speaker and speaker cab design and technology is there business and they are frontrunners.....
    along with many other great brands available

They make great stuff ..I have not heard the 2 x 10 but its got to be a great box.

just my .02 cents...
  8. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Sorry that I can't add anything about the Q10 cab but I can sure say that I've always been impressed with my BE stuff. I still have a D12 and a D10. Built to last and some of the best customer support I've encountered.

I wonder if their specs are much closer to the real world since they are big in the pro audio business? I just have a sneaking suspicion that some of the bass specific manufactures might fudge on the specs. :eek:
  9. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

If anything.... Bag End is conservative in their ratings...
  10. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA

I have a hard time imagining pushing my Q10B too far. BE rates in "continuous sine wave" instead of RMS, and I've wondered from time to time if there is a significant difference between these two rating methods. I love my custom Line-X Q10, but it's size may be getting into overkill with the lean nature of recent (non) gigs.