Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bag End question (regarding 12" cab)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brock29609, Jun 15, 2005.

1. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Until recently, I was not aware that a S12X-D was once made (12" with the tweeter). I now have an opportunity to buy one. This interests me because I need a horn somewhere in my cab stack, and I previously thought this would prevent me from stacking a pair of Bag End 12's.

Has anyone ever paired up Bag End 12's? I'm wondering what a S12X-D plus a S12-D would sound like. How different would it sound from a pair of 15's or a 12 plus a 15?

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Having recently scored an S12-D, I'm interested in the responses to this question. If the S12X-D is not the answer, I'm curious to hear what people recommend to pair up with the S-12D.

Tom.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well i can tell ya. 1st off, bag end only made about 25 of those coaxial 12" cabs, so if you don't want it i might know a few who might.

anyhow, two bag end twelves sound very punchy with a lot of midrange definition. (check my profile). Like most combinations, they have a bit more apparent lows than just one cab.

However, to me, the 12 really comes into its own on top of a BE 15. The 15 also has a lot of midrange definition, but at a lower frequency. The 15 also has superior bass definition. In fact, the 15/12 BE stack sounds very full range and i like it better than a lot of full range standalone cabs. I'm used to hearing that with a coaxial 15 as that model is still made, but i'm sure it would sound even better with a coax 12 as the tweeter would be higher up.

Of course, i like to use two 12" cabs on top of my 15, and sometimes i put a BE 210 under that. :D

[​IMG]

4. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    oh here it is, i knew i did a review on this once..........

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147545&page=1&pp=20&highlight=Bag+End+s12+s15+d10b

5. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    also, the S12D sounds great with an aguilar GS-112. the aggie fills in the lows while the bag end provides tons of midrange cut (so essentially the cabs make up for each other's limitations.)

6. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    These cabs aren't very common, but they're not quite that rare according to Bag End. Here's what they say...

"The original prototype/sample run of drivers was about 25.

After that, we went through a little over 200 drivers. While some
    drivers may have been used for service, it is fair to say the number of
    S12X and D12X (only used 1 coax driver, like our D10X) systems made is
    probably near 180 to 200."

7. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    huh, no kidding. thanks for the info. they told me 25 on the phone not too long ago.