1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bag End questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xring, Nov 4, 2018.

1. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    I am already the owner of 2 S18b-d cabs that I love dearly. Recently, I was given 2 more cabs. One is a S15 x-d. The 1/4" jacks are fine, but the neutriks appear doa. I was using a GK MB500 head. Cab seems to work well so far, other than the jacks. The other is a D10 b-d. Both speakers are shredded and it is missing the grille. What a coincidence? The BE speaker are very pricey, and I don't really need the cab, so I'm considering a cheaper alternative. Has anyone done this already, and what speakers will do the cab justice? Any internal crossover concerns, or incompatabilty? I'm pretty illiterate on things electrical, but have a solid grasp of ohms. Thanks!

Pbassmanca likes this.
  2. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    The Bag End speakons use the +-2 positions as are common in the sound reenforcement industry. Most bass cabs use +-1.

You can mod a cable or change the Speakon plugin on the cab to +-1.

The D10 (no X) cab has no tweeters so no crossover.

Have fun with all those Bags, it will look very impressive with them all stacked up!

3. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    As Wave Rider said, the speakons are wired in an incompatible manner compared to most bass amps and speaker cables. When I had a pair of Bag Ends, I pulled the jack panels out and rewired the speakons in the cabs.

Pbassmanca and ddnidd1 like this.
  4. nbsipics

nbsipics It's the Bass that makes them Dance Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    So is there any air left in the room when you hit a low B on those 2x18 BE's? :)

Pbassmanca, mikewalker and wave rider like this.
  5. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    NL4 Speakon jacks have four conductors, so you can use one cable for biamp applications or distributing two mixes.

As an example I have eight Electro Voice SX300 speakers. I wired six of them to connect pins 2+ 2- to the crossover with thru cables on pins 1+ 1-. The other two SX300s have pins 1+ 1- connected to the crossover and thru cables on pins 2+ 2-. The idea is to use four of the SX300s as mains in a biamp PA. The other four will be used as monitors.

With this type of wiring, I can run a single long cable to my left PA stacks and another cable to the right. Short cables are used to jump between the subs and mains. A single cable can also carry two monitor mixes. Use a long cable to get to the first monitor; then connect a short cable from the first monitor to the second. This strategy minimizes the amount of cabling you need to carry and use.

Keep in mind NL2 Speakon plugs and jacks look almost identical to their NL4 counterparts, but NL2 only have connections on pins 1+ 1-. NL2 and NL4 are cross compatible if the circuit only use pins 1+ 1-.

6. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    Thanks for the quick replies. I'm not much for re-wiring unless it's just a matter of swapping the wires on the speaker tabs. The 1/4s are fine for now. Just feeding it 250w. And yes the S18 bd cabs are capable of moving bowels on their own. I've been using them as subs when needed on our gigs. I'll research what 10" speakers to swap out in the other cab. Thanks again.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  7. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    It was easy to pull the jack plate but the tabs inside had the wires soldered on. You might get lucky if yours has crimp on connectors that are easier to swap, and it's easy to take a look. Good luck, Bob

Pbassmanca likes this.
  8. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

Swapping the tabs on the drivers will not fix the problem. You need to swap the wires on the Speakon tabs. Just make sure to move the wire on tab 2+ to 1+ and tab 2- to 1-, and vice versa.

It been awhile since I worked on any Bag Ends so I don't remember if the connections are screws, solder, or push tabs. Usually Bag End jack panels look something like this, so you should be able to get at the Speakon wiring by removing four screws so you can pull the panel mount connectors out. The wires will probably be just barely long enough to allow you to do the work.

img_1988-.

If you need new drivers for any of the cabs, I highly recommend contacting Bag End and getting OEM drivers. The cab and drivers must be designed to work together.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  9. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    I mispoke. I did realize it's the neutrik tabs, not speaker. To be honest, I have a few cabs and won't be investing the big bucks to get oem speakers. This cab will be a door stop or just get tossed. Blasphemy, I know...

10. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    IMHO, do it right or don't do waste your time and money ;). Maybe someone can recommend inexpensive replacement drivers that will work well with the cabinet. Otherwise, door stop or tossed is better then wasting money on drivers that don't work well.

11. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    A quick post to the bag end club may yield an answer to what, if any, off the shelf replacement speaker might be happy in those boxes.

I believe the OEM speakers are a bit unique, so there might not be a happy drop in replacement :(

Pbassmanca and Wasnex like this.
  12. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    @xring , I think Bag End does reconing on their drivers too. Might be a lower cost option if the frames are still good.

Pbassmanca and BadExample like this.
  13. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    Options worth checking into. Thanks!

Pbassmanca likes this.
  14. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    FWIW, I have a Bag End 1x12" that I bought used; it came with an EV 300w. and I love the sound.

Prob'ly useless info, but it's what I got.

svtb15 likes this.
  15. Email Bag End. They’re helpful people. I love Bag End. Wish I had some.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  16. michael brown

michael brown Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2005
    Just talk to bag end.
    I have s15d and xd, they will send you a new jack plate that is wired correctly for the speak ons,,,,they did for me.....
    Just explain to them your situation......

17. Hey all,I am desperately searching for a 212 cab that is not over the top HI-FI,I play Blues,R&B and older soul.I don't want a tweeter and not overly concerned with weight.preferably 8 ohm.
    How would you describe the Bag End?
    Oh,I will be pushing around 500 watts into 8 ohms.