Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bag End Questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassdadto2, Feb 23, 2002.

1. Bassdadto2

Bassdadto2

Dec 3, 2001
    California
    Hey fellows! I got an application for a Bag End Endorsement a few years ago. I didn't send it in (Long story), but I am going to do so now. If I get the endorsement, I will probably get a D 10BXD, and a S18ELF (I think, I don't have my brochure handy). Now, here's the question: What head should I use with that?
    I don't think My beloved Crate will do, nor will BE appreciate me running their High Quality Cabs with a BT-350 I got from a pawn shop.

I am leaning towards the GK 1001rb because of it's simplicity. What do you all think?

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    endorsement!? do tell!

3. Bassdadto2

Bassdadto2

Dec 3, 2001
    California
    I get a price equal to 35% offretail cost, and less when possible. I pay all shipping, but I get free service for life. All I have to do is let Bag End use my ugly mug in their ads!:D :cool:

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Oh, the PAIN of being endorsed. :D

5. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Oh man, Bag End cabs? I just love them. In fact I have 2 D12X-D's and an S15X-D. I had a D12-D on a short term trade and I fell for the cab, too. I'm working on getting another of those.;)

I run either my WT-800 into the Bags or a QSC PLX2402 with an Alembic F-1X or a Demeter 201DBL. Tone for days! You gotta feed the Bag Ends with really nice stuff. The GK would work out fine if the tone and functionality does it for you. You may want to try the Eden stuff or even SWR stuff might work out. I'd say try your cab with several different heads that you've found that you like. The Bag End stuff is a bit on the hifi side so it will show weaknesses in the other equipment in your rig.

You do realize that the S18E is is part of the ELF system and will require the ELF processor. Bag End does make an S18 that doesn't require the processor. You may want to think about the S15-D. Really nice little cab that alot of folks around here seem to like and it's about 10 pounds lighter than the 18"

6. Bassdadto2

Bassdadto2

Dec 3, 2001
    California
    Thanks for that advice! I actually was thinking 15 first. And we DO play Mustang Sally!:D

7. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    gk rocks, nuff said

but you could always check out other stuff

8. Bassdadto2

Bassdadto2

Dec 3, 2001
    California
    Frankly, I don't know how it works. I do know most of the companies are looking for visibility. Yhe higher the profile, the better, obviously, but they are looking for people who are in a variety of places.

The New Breed is embarking on a full media onslaught, starting with the Web site. As near as I can tell, That is what swayed them.

We are working 5 nights a week, and all have pretty high profile backgrounds, and although our CD isa DIY, we are pretty connected, of course, thats what i though last time.

9. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    I power those very cabinets with a QSC 2402PLX and the sub channel runs at a little over half the front pannel gain on the QSC and the 2-10" gets full gain.

The sub wants it's own 400 watts into 8 ohms, I'm not sure if there are any integrated stereo heads that have that much output.

I don't consider this combination to be a loud setup because it's actualy a 2-10" that's full range. You will hear all your lows though.

10. Bassdadto2

Bassdadto2

Dec 3, 2001
    California
    Thanks, Vic! What are you using as a preamp?

11. Bassdadto2

Bassdadto2

Dec 3, 2001
    California
    So here's my latest idea... After reading the latest Bass player, I'm thinking maybe 2 S12-D cabinets. Anybody got an opinion?

12. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    I'm using an Eden Navigator using the stereo balanced outputs to the ELF-M. The ELF doesn't realy need both cables going to its inputs to work but it sounds fuller IMO when both are used. I don't know of any other preamp that has stereo/two balanced outputs. I'm eventualy going to use a second dedicated preamp for the 2-10".