Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bag End rig config. Querry

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brendan, May 21, 2001.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Heyya!

I was up at Bass NW this weekend (sorry Angus!) and got to try the mother of all rigs (to me anyway) A Tech 21 Landmark 600 head on top of a few Bag End cabs, though my memory about which cabs is hazy, as I was drooling over a Modulus at the time...

Heavily looking into Bag End gear, which a lot of you highly recommend. Now, I want some serious butt kicking power, so what kinda config sould I go for? (2)1x15, (2)4x10, (1)4x10+(1)1x15, or ect? With Bag End, what would you suggest for some cut, low end punch, clarity, and MAYBE some versatility:D...I'm just looking to optimize my bassin is all. And man, those Bags are LOUD and sound really amazingly good...

2. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Well, suh, those are all good rigs but all quite different. I've been using a pair of S15-D (the 1x15), and that is what almost everyone at BassNW uses as well. The cabs are small, light, loud and handle low-B pretty well. More important, the sound is balanced so that it doesn't get boomy onstage. The cabs are 8 ohms so a pair will work with any amp. One caveat: the boxes are 18" wide so you can't put your amp on top unless it's a small amp or you like funny-looking rigs.

Moving on to the pair of 4x10... that's another popular rig, but it's on the other end of the portability spectrum! The Q10(X)-D, no longer made, are the shallow 12" deep four-tenners and are a good compromise between sound and portability. The low end does roll off early, though, so if you are doing reggae with a 5-string, move on. The Q10B(X)-D are 18" deep, and are wicked bass cabs, but weigh over 100 lbs.

The S15-D and D10-D (2x10) combo is a logical choice, but the 2x10 only comes in 4 ohms so the resulting load is 2.6 ohms, which might be too low for your head, unless it's a dual-channel unit.

Another option (and probably what you played at BassNW) is the S18-D and D10B(X)-D. The 1x18 is the same width as the 2x10 and 4x10, so they look better stacked. Same goes for the 1x18 and 4x10 pair.

Now if you really want the ultimate in low end, look no further than the Bag End ELF systems, which will bring you down to 8 Hz with ease! They'll cost you, but there is nothing like them. On the flip side, unless you really need them, too much low end might become a problem on stage.

So, for a first Bag End rig, I'd suggest looking at a S15-D and S15X-D (the coax tweeter version), even if you like 10's. You might find that they do everything you want...

Nightbass

3. spyde223

spyde223

Apr 11, 2000
    Dumas, Texas
    Thanks for all the info, i was looking into getting a Bag End cab myself but i was wondering if the coax tweeter actually helps that much for the highs. It looks cool but costs like 2 or 300 more to get it.

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I use the 4x10 and a 1x18. Love it, except for the EXTREME rumble from the 18 which I can't EQ out. I'm going to test it at a couple gigs...if it's still to my disliking then, I'll probably go with another 4x10. I really would prefer all 10s or 10s and 12s, but $$$ is an issue.

Can't hurt to go with 2 1x15s though. Puncy and hell, loud, and sounds killer. I could've easily settled with that. However, if you must get the 10s, dont pair it with the 15s.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    So Angus...the boomy 18...we talking rumble like floor rumble, no matter what, or more like a sound rumble where the bass gets "boomy" and don't project?

I myself am Thinking about 2 4x10s...

6. i almost got the Bag End 4x10, but angus bought the last one from BassNW© So i got the Eden 4x10© I actuly only got to try out the 2x10, cause like i stated, angus snached the last one© But what i did like was the sound i got from them, and the weight of the cabs are VERY reasonable©

7. Are all of your statements copyrighted?

8. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Angus,why not pair 10's with 15's? Spyde,forget the coax.Just not worth the green and who needs the hiss.They do add some to your sound but for another 200 you can find something else to add to your rig.Good luck!

9. geo?

geo?

Mar 29, 2000
    First off, there's two classes of ELF systems...

The ELF-M and ELF-M2 processors will get you down to 18Hz when paired with ELF cabs. The (infamous & prohibitively expensive) ELF-1 processor will get you down to 8Hz <<drool, drool>>.

Anywho...I'm in the process of getting 2 S18E-D cabinets, a Q10BX-D cab, ELF-M2 processor and a pair of qsc amps to drive the whole thing. I was always interested in Bag End, but it wasn't until this past NAMM that I was convinced by a short hands-on. Anyway, it's so long to SWR (still excellent) and hello Bag End!

-geo?

10. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    LOL!!!! :D If they are, you're already in trouble, since you quoted his copyrighted statements in your post! ;)
    - Mike

11. no, somthing is wrogn with my netscape, where it does that on this board, and on the fender board© no clue why©

12. Doh!!!

13. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    This is a typical example of what happens when you actualy get to try the ELF systems. It's like, "bingo," you realize you don't need tubes driving huge 8-10"s to get that full weighty bottom. How about the sound of that B string now?

I believe Bag End has a great product here which needs to be demo'd to sell. Yes it's pricey and I'm not sure what happens to all the lows in a loud stage mix, so it may not be for everyone. I may upgrade mine when the time comes but I'll never sell it.

14. The problem can be traced back to Netscape being owned by AOL. As much as I was a loyal Netscape user for myself and my clients, I got TIRED of the chronic bugs that spanned many versions. Internet Explorer got better and better, so Netscape is gone.

15. i agree, before netscape was bought out by AOL, netscape imo was better then IE, and i actuly had tons of problems with IE© But when i put Win© 2000 on my computer, and got the new netscape©©©© its just been down hill from there© I use IE some times ¥which i havnt found and bugs with it yet¤, but its just an old habbit to use Netscape©