Bag End S-15/S-15X question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Apr 22, 2004.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi all, I got a used Bag End S-15X (the kind with the red dome and the built-in high frequency driver) and decided that I don't really like the tweeter. I haven't opened up the cab yet, but did peek inside it and it looks like there's a crossover mounted up in the back corner. The question is, will the speaker be safe if I just disconnect the tweeter, is there any potential for damage to the woofer or the crossover (or the amp) under those conditions?

Does anyone know, is the woofer half of that speaker like a regular S-15, if I just disconnect the tweeter will I turn the speaker into one of those (response-wise)? That's kinda what I want, I have a few other BagEnd's that I like to run in series-parallel to get 8 ohms (kind of like a 4x10, except it's two 15's and two 12's). So the "ordinary" BagEnd's by themselves provide more than enough high frequency for my purposes. I just wanted to try the tweeter to see if it would make a difference, but it's really a little too much. Alternatively, is there any way to attenuate the highs, like by adding a resistor in series with the tweeter or something?
  2. jbass67

Nov 17, 2003
    i disconnected the driver after calling bag end & getting their
    advice. my problem was the hi-freq cone was distorting &
    i thought i blew the driver. they wanted me to send it in to test it but i never did since it sounded better removed. i even
    unscrewed the driver to reduce the weight of the cabinet.
    the speaker sounds identical to my s15d & i use them together.
  3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Cool, thanks for that. One of my brilliant tech buddies suggested the solution: a footswitch. That way I can either use or not use the tweeter. I'll have to add a stereo jack to the plate on the back of the cab, and connect the switch in series with the tweeter. I was just experimenting with the Roscoe, the tweeter is actually useful for some purposes. (Like annoying the guitar player). :)