Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bag End S-15D

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steve2, Feb 12, 2003.

1. steve2

steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    I was wondering what is the minimum amount of watts that is needed to push the Bagend s-15D. Would a 200 watt Hartke have enough power or is more needed? Thanks

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I briefly used my G-K 400RB to drive a single S15-D, and it sounded fine. What's that - about 125W at 8 Ohms?

3. SCH

SCH

May 3, 2002
    San Antonio, Texas
    I have a pair of S-15D's, and they like a lot of power. The more you can give them, the better. You can drive one with 200 watts, but IMO you'll need at least twice that to make it start singing.

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Agreed. More power sounds GREAT! I ususally run 1000W bridged into my pair of S15-Ds.

Steve2, are you thinking short term or a permanent situation? I personally feel 300W-400W is optimal for a single S15-D.

What kind of volume are you looking for? What kind of music and venue? If it's your church gig, 200W may be just fine. But, is that 200W into 8 Ohms?

5. lowfreqguy

lowfreqguy

Oct 18, 2000
    I, too, use 1000 watts into my pair of S15 XDs.This system gives me plenty of headroom with a nice, full tone.

6. Warwick Lover

Warwick Lover

Dec 6, 2002
    I have the S15-D and the S15-XD, and they do indeed like to see the power. I run them bridged mono (1200 watts at 4ohms), and they sound Fantastic. I did try running them at about 240 watts at 8 ohms, and while they still sounded good, they didn't have the punch that I like. I talked to the folks at Bag End, and they said the speakers are happiest seeing 200-300 watts each, but if you're having to crank your amp to the max to get that many watts, you risk power amp clipping and possible speaker damage.

Enjoy!

7. steve2

steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    Thanks
    I am just wanting something bigger and leave my 60 Watt Laney at my Church. I remember someone post a few months ago and thought those liked a lot of power. Right now I just don't know which direction I want to go and larger combo or just a good amp/cabinet system. I would love to get a Mesa Walkabout and a Aguilar Cabinet but I just can't talk my wife in letting me spend that much. I was also thinking maybe Fender Bassman 200 or Ampeg BA 210. I may try to find me a good used amp and go with the Bag End. I wonder how the Aguilar compares with the Bag End. Thanks

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I drive mine, along with another 8 ohm cab, with a 400w amp.

9. I run my s15-b (much classier, has a different tone too i guess) with an acoustic image clarus, and i can break dishes and wake up my neighbors ( in a dorm) by knocking things off their shelves.. my RA lives next door, he loves that... So if you guys are running that much power into them, i hope your wearing earplugs, I never turn my amp up more than half way.

10. I have a good old S15-D and an S12-D that I used to pair. Did fine with an iAMP 500 till I played outdoors without a wall behind them. They are rear ported, and really suffered in free space.

Aloha,

Jonathan

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I always thought about making a small fold up partition for those situations, Jonathan.

12. I wonder how solid it would have to be to work. Would a light scrim do it ?

My front ported Begantino 15 & 210 and PLX 2402 make it a moot point. I've never needed to push them.

Aloha,

Jonathan

13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Probably not very solid at all. The ports don't fire very hard. Just something to make the waves change direction.

How's that for science?

:D