1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bag End S12R-D guitar speaker for bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by IvanMike, Dec 23, 2004.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    Surprise! another bag end review!

Today I stopped by Milford Music and mike had a pair of these used for 250 each. He told me in the past that they are pretty cool for bass too so i took them for a spin. Very nice cabs indeed. With a 75 watt power rating you won't be diming your amp with them, but a pair is quite impressive. They do have a 300 watt peak rating as well, and bag end tends to be very conservative with the RMS ratings. compared to the S12-D they seem to be "smoother" sounding with a bit more low end and less upper mids. When they do start to break up, it's extremely musical sounding. You can get a really decent volume from them as they seem to be a bit louder than the S12-D, despite the specs saying that they should be a lil quieter. I used them with a genz-benx 600 and at 400 watts or so, they really didnt complain until about halfway up on the master. If i wasn't so strapped i woulda bought em. I can think of tons of gigs that i could do with these two and my lil' swr electric blue 150 watt head.