Bag End S12RD

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tom Neves, Dec 11, 2002.

1. I just picked up one of these and I was surprised to find out it's only rated at 75 watts continuous sine wave power handling, and 300 watts peak music program power handling. It's pretty loud!
    Can anyone expain why the specs are so far apart?
    This is an 8 ohm cab.
    Also anyone know who makes BagEnds speakers?
    Just curious.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
  2. Thanks JW,
    I heard a few years ago EV closed down.
    Maybe it was just one of those rumours that go around.
    Regardless, I love those speakers.
    They take a beating and still keep on ticking.
    I was thinking of changing out the 75 watt speaker for maybe a 150/200 watt substitute for more power. What do you think?
  3. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Yeah, do that. Looking at the BE website, that cabinet is listed for guitar, not bass. You could probably get a replacement speaker from them that is more suited to bass AND is suited to the size and tuning of the cabinet. I wouldn't put just any 12" bass speaker that's handy in it - there's a lot of variables that have to work together, and getting a speaker that works well in an existing cabinet can be a bit of a needle-in-a-haystack affair.
  4. :confused: :(
    No wonder when I looked at BagEnd's web site I couldn't find it under Bass instruments???
    This cab was in the Bass Dept of my local store.
    I tried it out with many basses and the cab sounded best with a Marcus Miller Jazz and a 5 String, (believe it or not) Ibanez.
    I was impressed with how it handled the B string.
    Anyway, I will try it out at rehearsal and see if it performs.
    The funny thing is the Dealer had no idea it was a guitar cab too!
  5. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Yeah, I think BagEnd has the general reputation for being a subwoofer/bass cab company, so it'd be no surprise for the often clueless folks at the store to look at it and say "BagEnd? Put it in the Bass dept.".

It lists frequency response down to 80hz, which ain't too shabby. If it handles the harmonics/overtones well, it'll still sound good, even with a 5. In other words, it may not technically have as low a response as some cabinets, but hey, if it sounds good, that's all that matters.

Looking at some of the other cabs at the BE website, there's a lot of 'em that are the same dimensions as that one, but use a different driver that handles 200 watts and has freq response down to 50hz, so I'm sure you could get that driver from them if the current one doesn't cut it when you take it "into battle".

Those Ibanez 5's are kind of unpredictable - I've played some that were excellent and some that stank, even among identical models. They generally feel pretty good regardless, but some sound a lot better than others. I guess it depends on the character of that particular piece of wood. If I needed a 5, I's consider buying one, but ONLY after playing it in person. I'd never mail-order one. They can be an excellent bass if you find a good one, especially for the price.
  6. I am impressed with the quick reply to my questions from Bag End customer service.
    This has all happened within the hour.
    I asked them about the EV speaker connection and if I could swap out the current driver for a more powerful one.
    Here is their response.

Our TA5000 PA speaker is the system using an EV tweeter. We have a few
    speaker makers building cone drivers to our specs.
    If you want a more robust 12" driver, I suggest our E-12. When mounted
    in your S12R-D cabinet, you will turn your S12R-D into a S12-D.
    For specs on the S12-D...

7. Well,
    They might have at one time did use EV. They are not saying what they currently do use!
    My question to them remains unanswered.
    If any one else out there knows anything, Let me know.
    Thank for all the help.