1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bag End S15-D or GK NEO 212 II pair?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RockDoc, Aug 21, 2012.

1. RockDoc

RockDoc

Jan 5, 2007
    Greetings;

Anyone have comparative experience with these two options? I'm currently running a GK 800RB through a SVT 810e ("dark era" version), playing reasonably loud "classic" rock in a three-piece format. The Ampeg cab sounds excellent to my ears, but is really too heavy to be practical. Two 410he's wouldn't really resolve the weight/transportability issue. I know that these might be "apples and oranges," and am familiar with the specs. I have used the "Search" function here on Talkbass and beyond. Both the BE's and the GK's generally get very favorable reviews from folks running the same (or similar) amps, playing the same genre of music. If I could, I would go and try out both systems, but that is not possible (no one in my neighborhood has these).

Any insights, suggestions, or input would be appreciated -- thanks!

2. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I use 2 Bag End S 15D cabs and the 800rb...with a P bass.....sounds great to my ears..keep everything flat and sometimes use the mid cut switch... plenty of volume...easy to haul and the Bag Ends ROCK....
    no experience with the GK speakers...but I love the 800rb

3. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    The 800 and S15 stack is the way to go - a classic combination for a reason, and really loud! I did a video of this exact setup - check out my Youtube page.

4. RockDoc

RockDoc

Jan 5, 2007
    Thanks, gentlemen, for your input. I must confess, JGR, that your YouTube review was one of the primary factors that got me interested in the Bag Ends in the first place!

5. RockDoc

RockDoc

Jan 5, 2007
    Anyone else care to weigh in?

Perhaps these possible configurations are so different that few people have direct experience? Any input appreciated!

6. JGR

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    Cool. I gotta tell ya, I remember thinking to myself when I was shooting it that the GK800/S15D rig, though "obsolete and outdated" by today's standards, still sounds as good/better than anything else going. And with the high sensitivity of those cabs, there is plenty of volume available (and this is coming from a volume head). Old school at its best, and darn good bang for the buck for high quality US gear. Nice and compact too.

7. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I too use a P bass going through an 800RB into a pair of Bag End S15D's. It's awesome.

I have considered looking at the GK 212 Neos too, basically for more volume when needed. I haven't gotten the chance to try them out yet, but I really don't "need" them either. If anything, a sealed 610/810 type of cab is what I need at this time.

8. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    Well, can't comment on the GK 212, but I've owned a 410/115 GK stack as well as the microbass 112 w/12" extension cab, and presently own a MB115. All very good gear, but not orgasmic. There's a guy in town w/a S15D stack, and it just KILLS, forget which head, but tone up the wingwang. Again. haven't heard the 212neo, but I'd sure love a pair of those BE's!!!!!

9. Don't know about the GK212 but I have one Bag End s15-d & I love it, & I'm having a carpenter friend build me an identical box for a Bag End speaker I bought on evilbay awhile back. If you want sub lows this is probably not your cab, what it does put out is a great punchy tone for a smallish size, can't wait to get the other cab built to get the Bag End 15 stack going.

10. JGR

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    I tell ya, if you are looking for other 2X rigs for more volume, you're not going to find it. More low end yes, but these cabs are freaking loud and I tell ya, my S15D stack easily hangs with all three of my Berg NV cabs - actually puts out more volume than the 610 or 215 no question. It's actually punchier as well.

11. RockDoc

RockDoc

Jan 5, 2007
    Thanks for all the comments, folks! For the record, I'm not too concerned with really deep "sub" bass, as both the 800RB and SVT810e have relatively high bass roll-offs. They sound (imo) fantastic "in the mix," however -- plenty of low end punch, even volume up, down, and across the fretboard, and defined musical pitch for every note. So bass-ically I'm looking for that kind of sound, but with the portability and flexibility of a modular rig. I don't like tweeters much (I would bypass the GK 212 II's crossover and tweeter). Not that it matters (a good rig should sound good regardless of instrument and genre of music, with no doubt some exceptions that prove the rule), but I am playing Fender Jazz and Rickenbacker 4001 basses....

And wow -- the Bag Ends are louder and punchier than the Bergantino NV 610 and 215?! That observation "speaks volumes," so to say.

12. RockDoc

RockDoc

Jan 5, 2007
    Well, from perusing old TalkBass threads, it appears that there are numerous fans of both the Bag End S15-D and the GK NEO 212 II cabinets, and favorable assessments generally outnumber critical ones. It does seem that for (relatively) loud rock applications, both Bag Ends would have to be used, whereas perhaps only one of the GK 212's might work sometimes? If that is the case, then the GKs might be more "modular." Anyone who has experience with both of these cabinets care to offer any insightful comparisons? Thanks again for everyone's input thus far!

13. low2groove

low2groove Tyranis 4 / Lower Groove Guitars

Jan 21, 2007
    12's over 15's anyday but not GK. but then again, 10's over anything anyday.

14. Mulebagger

Mulebagger

Dec 12, 2007
    poppin in the corn belt
    Endorsing Artist: Zon Guitars, Tsunami Cables, DR Strings, GK
    I use an S15-D and an S15X-D with either my DB750 or TH500. Either combo is very impressive and has all the tone you could want. They don't have super low end output, but the clarity makes them sound spectacular in just about any situation I've used them in. Out door gigs, small clubs, big clubs.... you name it.

I'll bring just the S15X-D to practice with either head and it is loud enough to hang
    with an excited drummer.

Since they are so efficient, you don't need a ton of power to drive them and being so small they are very easy to load in and out.

I may be selling my pair soon and going back to a BE D10BX-D because I like the low end extension for my B string.

PM me if you wind up going for a pair.

15. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Yep, I'll bring one for band practice and I even used just one for an outdoor gig last night. Power trio band, no PA support. It did me plenty fine!

16. Mulebagger

Mulebagger

Dec 12, 2007
    poppin in the corn belt
    Nice!
    It has a great grind and can do the motown sound if need it. Those two speakers have sounded great with my two Aguilar heads and with a Markbass LMIII head I used for a bit.
    I stopped using my two 4x10 cabinets in favor of the sound and size of my BE 15s.

This is the 5th configuration of BE cabinets that I've used since the early 90's. They are built like tanks and have always brought wonderful compliments on my sound over the years. Cant go wrong with BagEnd.

17. Mulebagger

Mulebagger

Dec 12, 2007
    poppin in the corn belt
    Not the best sound recording as I had the input on the camera set a bit high. The room volume was not that loud, just too dynamic for the mic input.

But since you play a Jazz bass, this might show you how the BE 15's are smooth and full sounding regardless of style. The top one has the Coax speaker which does a great job of spreading the sound and giving a natural sounding treble extension without the spike like feel of a tweeter. It can be super crisp though. Running it with my DB750 at pretty much the lowest volume setting I could get :)

18. RockDoc

RockDoc

Jan 5, 2007
    That sounds nice -- clear and balanced, and your chops are impressive!

Thanks to everyone for your input. Anyone have experience with both the S15-D and the GK NEO 212 II? For the record, I'd place myself in the camp that looks at enclosures overall rather than specific driver size. I'm interested in these two enclosures based upon the preponderance of favorable reviews of them here on Talkbass and in the greater cyberworld beyond.

19. RockDoc

RockDoc

Jan 5, 2007
    I appreciate everyone's input -- thanks again! Anyone else care to chime in with suggestions or comments?

20. RockDoc

RockDoc

Jan 5, 2007
    Anyone else with experience with these cabs?