Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bag End S15-D vs. Aguilar GS 112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Dec 5, 2002.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Has anyone A/B:ed these two? How would a pair of GS 112´s compare to a pair of S15D´s in volume and tone?
    I´m looking for a warm but clear cab to work with an Ashdown head and a P-bass.

BTW how much do these cabs go for?

2. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    The BE goes for around $350-400 new, $300-325 used.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Those are two very different cabs. I run an S15-D with a custom 1-12 cab and IMO it sounds a great deal better than the Aggie pair, which are hardly slouches. I have tried a pair of the GS-112's.

4. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I think you would find that the Bag End cabs sound a little tighter, with maybe a little less low end than the Aguilar cabs. The Aguilar is smooth and deep sounding. Both are great. It depends what you are using them for.

5. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    My S15-D seemed to have more lows than my GS-112.

6. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I like Aggie a lot but my experience with the S15D has been so overwhemingly positive that I would recommend it without hesitation. I also have an S12D that I use for my upright. I don't combine the two cabs very often but when I need "BIG venue" volume they make a killer combination.

7. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    This is surprising. I thought most of you prefered the Aguilar. That cab seams really "hip" at the moment. Not many talk about the Bag End these days. But it could be because the Aguilar is such a new cab.:confused:

8. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    The Aggie has been around for over a year. It's a nice cab and it's definitely a bandwagon cab. IME on gigs I wouldn't use either cab alone, the Bag End doesn't have the highs of the Aggie, the Aggie doesn't have the volume or presence of the BE IMO.

9. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Anyone else got any comments on either of these cabs? Im leaning towards the Bag Ends. Ive never liked tweeters anyway.

10. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I really like my GS212, but I haven't tried the BagEnd so I can't really make a comparison.

11. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I've got the Bag End S15D-X. I haven't ABed it w/ the S15D, but I'm sure the coaxial tweeter takes care of the highs some people are missing. I don't like that there is no knob to control the tweeter, but it sounds good. I turn the tweeter off on my 2x10 and the combination w/ the coax 15" is great.

12. Bag End all the way!

(Proud owner of a B-15D)

13. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    How about one of Each? I have a GS112 and am looking for anothr cab to give me some more presence/volume and the Bag End was near the top of my list.

14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    It might be a killer combination. I use a 15 and a non-BE 12 with great results.