Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bag End S15-D

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hoel, Sep 29, 2004.

1. hoel

hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    Hi!

I'm thinking of buying one, or maybe two Bag End S15-D's. I do not have the chance to try them.

I have had Eden cabs, (210T, 410XLT), Aguilar GS112's, - and I don't like them too much.

I now play on a Hartke 115XL, that I like (punchy, tight, defined, warm) - but it doesn't play loud enough. My amp is a Ampeg SVT 4 Pro, and I play a '64 Jazz.

I like the sound of the bass player in Rolling Stones (with the Sadowsky, e.g "Stripped"), Will Lee (also Sadowsky bass), and the old motown stuff. A mix of these would be nice.

Just mentioning sounds I like so you can get an idea of what I am looking for here.

Would Bag End S15-D be good for me?

Greetings from Norway,
    Hoel

2. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I have been using the S 15 and the S 15XD since 1997.
    I have other cabs (Bag End 2 x 12 ) but these have been my main cabinets.

I run them now with a Mesa Pulse 600 (600 watts @ 4 ohms )or a Walter Woods Ultra... ( 1200 watts @ 4 ohms )
    The Pulse is much warmer sounding then the Ultra.

I am very happy with the results.. lots of warmth and plenty of volume for me.
    The XD has a high frequency built in to the dome and it works out very well..not too brittle ....but not adjustable....it usually sits on the bottom of the stack...

I have used the S 15 on its own on many occasions and its a great cab.. very balanced tone for a 15. No problem with the Motown stuff....

They are also very portable...they are rated at 200 watts @ 8 ohms but the power rating is very conservative..I have used the S 15D with the Ultra 800 watts @ 8 ohms with great results..( use responsibly)
    They appear on ebay for 200- 300 dollars used...

Bag End is a great company to deal with..

IMO -- I think it will be a huge improvement over the Hartke

3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
  4. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I've owned swr, peavey, ampeg, eden, and fender cabs, but my BE SD-15s are the best I've played. The are so quick and punchy I don't even miss tens or the lack or a horn. Very clean but not sterile sounding. Also they're super easy to move around and are loud as heck.

Not sure if they are the perfect cab to get the Motown sound, but with the right head and EQ you could probably come close.

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    here's my review of the venerable bag end 15 - they rock :)

bag end review

6. MO...the xd is pound for pound/buck for buck the best 15 cab in the market. I now too, miss my xd.

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm running a pair of S15-Ds with an Eden WT-550. IMO, the Bags are quicker than most 15s, and I really like the result.

I had a single S15-D for about a year, and was really surprised by the results when I added a second cab. Definitely more that the sum of the parts!

8. hoel

hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    OK - I've considered to sell the Marcus Miller to get two Bag End S-15D's. From what you write, it looks like it could be great cabs for me. Portable too. I play with more than one band, so that counts a little.

But my Ampeg SVT 4 Pro is awful heavy tho', with the flight. :rolleyes:

Thanks guys

-Hoel

9. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    it is always amazing when you add a second cabinet (this goes for any cabs)

10. hoel

hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    So.... does anyone have recordings using mic'ed bag end cabs? In general, it's fun to hear talkbass'ers play, bag end or not bag end :)

11. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    not yet, although i'm probably going to have my s12 miked along with a direct track next recoring i do to see how it comes out
    i will tell ya this - on gigs where the "house" has its own sound they almost always just take me direct (as is standard). The ONLY time soundmen have INSISTED on taking a second miked line is when i have brought my S15-D.

12. hoel

hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I better get two of these I guess. And get a cheaper backup bass. What other gear are you playin' IvanMike?

13. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    if you get 2 i would seriously consider getting the S15X-D as the second cabinet (it has a coaxial "tweeter")
    I think my gear is listed but lesse
    1986 tobias 4 string/warmouth 8 string
    Sans Amp DI (as an effect)
    swr electric blue/eden wt-400/alembic pre and superfilter/demeter pre
    DBX 262 compressor
    stewart 2.1
    Bag End S15/S12/D10B/Aguilar 112
    If you look closely you can see a modular theme in there :D

14. Hi all. How does the S15-D handle a low B?

15. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    S15D- IMO the best single 15 bass guitar cabinet out there. I used it with a variety of 4's and 5's on many, many gigs over several years. I wound up going all EA more recently but that was partly because I wanted a "do everything" rig for BG and URB. The Bag Ends aren't very good for URB. If all I played was BG then I may have never moved away from Bag End.

16. Cool man. I think I'm going to order one.

Hoel, I'm not sure if Full Compass (fullcompass.com) ships to Norway, but they've got the best price I've found in the States and a 30 day return policy.

17. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    bag end 15s do a low B fine - very tight sounding

18. Abso-fricken-lutley. The coax is so subtle and natural sounding.

19. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I think they will sound great with an SVT4Pro. Even though I still lug my Ampeg cabs around for most gigs, I still have my Bag End 15's. Used them last night matter of fact and will again tonight. (My truck is in the shop for repairs so I need smaller portable til its fixed). My band is a loud classic rock band and I can assure you that 2 Bag End 15's will easily get the job done for you. I'm using a Fender Jazz V through a solid state Ampeg B4r bridged at 1000 watts into 2 Bag End 15 cabs. S15-D over S15-D custom (slightly larger cab) They have plenty of midrange so you will be able to cut through the mix.

20. Hi Bag End'ers :)

Here's my delimma:

In a trade for multiple pieces of gear, I recently acquired a Yorkville BM400H:
    [​IMG]
    300 watts at 8ohms, 400 watts at 4ohms...known as being underrated powerwise (ie - much louder than other amps advertised at the same output power). This is now my 'backup' amp to my SVT-CL.

I also have a B100R that I would use for smaller gigs/purposes.

I'm thinking about the possibility of using the Yorkville amp coupled with a cabinet like a Bag End 15, thus replacing my B100R for my small venue choice, and thus, I'd have to sell my B100R...do you think I'll notice a substantial enough difference/improvement tonally or performance wise with a BM400H + Sansamp BDDI + Bag End 15 over the B100R? I really like the B100R and it's old school tone...I'm wondering if I could get a similar tone, but added power/performance/flexibility with the Yorkville+BDDI+Bag End?

Perhaps I should I start a new thread?