Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BAG END S15LX-D?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by one-note, Oct 14, 2004.

1. one-note

one-note

Apr 30, 2002
    Denver
    I know a lot of the folks here heartily endorse the Bag End s15x-D. It is lighthweight at 50 pounds, goes down to 50HZ. and small. Has anyone played through the new Bag End S15LX-D? It weighs more, 58 pounds, is 22.5 " wide, goes down to 40Hz. My question, for players familiar with the new cab,is the sound worth the extra weight? Does this cabinet sound tighter and smoother than the S15x-D? There are no stocking BagEnd dealers in Colorado. Thanks,one-note. :help:

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    im guessing this is the coaxial version of what they were calling th S15-D "custom" which was essentially a 15 in a box the size of the 210 cabinet. From what i hear it's a great box. I havent heard them side by side so i cant tell you for sure. IMO you can't go wrong with bag end.

3. one-note

one-note

Apr 30, 2002
    Denver
    Thanks for the info Mike. What do you think might be the appreciable sound difference between the S15x-d and the larger S15lx-d custom speaker? Will the larger box be smoother at high volumes? I like the idea of a small box for portability. I am running a Stewart 2.1 and Demeter preamp, would perhaps use double bagend S15x-d's or 1-S15x-d and a bagend 2-10 cab. Can a 2-10 fit on a 1-15 sideways? I am in Denver- no Bagends out here to try.Thanks,one-note.

4. one-note

one-note

Apr 30, 2002
    Denver
    Thanks for the info Mike. What do you think might be the appreciable sound difference between the S15x-d and the larger S15lx-d custom speaker? Will the larger box be smoother at high volumes? I like the idea of a small box for portability. I am running a Stewart 2.1 and Demeter preamp, would perhaps use double bagend S15x-d's or 1-S15x-d and a bagend 2-10 cab. Can a 2-10 fit on a 1-15 sideways? I am in Denver- no Bagends out here to try.Thanks,one-note :help:

5. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i really can't tell you sonic differences because i havent heard the s15lxd The 210 can fit on a s15xd sideways but it is a little deeper so the back will hang off a bit. A lot of times i have just put my 15 on top f the 210. For portabilities sake, the regular s15x-d and s15-d are tops as they are so small. One of each should give you quite a stack and a big sound.

6. jazz567

jazz567

Nov 23, 2004
    I don;t know about the version you're asking about, but I use the S15XD (w/ tweeter) and S15D stack and its a great setup.

7. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Where did you hear about this cab? I don't see it on their web page. If it's the same as the S15 cus with the addition of the coax horn then my guess is that it will have more low end but not as much mid range punch. that's how I hear my S15cus compared to my S15-D

Here are some pix of my two cabs.
    bagend15cabs

8. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Still curious about where you found out about this cab.

9. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    so was i..........
    turns out that the cus is the l cabinet. On the bag end website you have to look for the sales and then pricing. you can download a pdf file with prices and product descriptions from 2003. this includes the s15l(cus), and the s10 that i am so fond of. unfortunately, they still havent updated the website pages to add these products. i'm guessing that the S15L was added because players wanted a 15" cabinet that they could stack their D10B cabs on as the S15 isn't as deep as the D10B, and the S15B is a really big cabinet. I just stack my S15 on top of my D10B, and i have the D10B "sideways". It looks a little odd, but it sounds great. The real eye(ear?) opener is that two S10 cabs seem to sound better than one D10B, and they are these tiny little things that weigh 27 lbs each as opposed to the D10B's 64 lbs.

10. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    ok,
    I think two of the S15customs stacked on top of each other wth a Bag End 210 cab on top would be an awsome rig. :D
    they should promote this cab a little more dontcha think?

11. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yeah it seems so. i dunno why they have been slow to update the website. anyhow, any bag end dealer should have this info so you can order the stuff.

12. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Or two S15customs with two S10 on top -- bet that would sound awesome.

13. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    The reason I suggested the 210 cab is because it's the same size as the s15custom and would stack nicely. Are the single 10 cabs exactly half the size of the 210 cab? If so 2 of them would also stack nicely and be easier to haul around.

14. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    So, does the S10 actually have a smaller driver/enclosure volume ratio than the D10? Maybe a perceived better sound is due to a better phase performace out of two individually enclosed drivers as opposed to two drivers in the same box.

I really like my Q10 and D10, it's hard to imagine them sounding much better.

15. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the s10 cabs are tiny. 13.5"x14.5"x12". two of them don't have the low end of a D10B, but they just seem "tighter" and more articulate. It's not something to lose sleep over, but i'd love to get a pair (or a quad) as they are incredibly easy to move around.

16. one-note

one-note

Apr 30, 2002
    Denver
    I had a phone conversation with Jim at Bag End who told me about the S15LX-D. It stacks horizontally wiht the 2-10 and goes down to 40 hz, which means it will reproduce the 41 hz of the low E-string more loudly than the S15x-d, which is rated at 50hz. To me, at this point, I am downsizing for portability and choose to go with the S15x-d stacked with either a S15-d or a 2-10. I play primarily 4-string and am not needing to push a low B-string at 31hz. How do 15's handle slap compared to 10's? Will the S15x-d work well by itself for jazz with a fretless? one-note :)

17. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    how would two S15B's be with my Bassman 135 (100watt) all tube head. I've read they are power happy cabs

18. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the S15Xd will be great for jazz.............
    the S15 cabs are rated at103 dB which is pretty respectable, and IME they are very loud. They are not power hungry like acme cabs (which are not very efficient), but they sound better with a lot of watts.

19. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    i think I might go with two Bag End S15B-D's......all though that might be too much low end:p

20. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    if you can i'd try a bunch of the cabinets. the S15B's are awesome, but they are really really big.