Bag End / SWR users, help me put together my rig.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dancehallclasher, Jul 18, 2002.

1. i'm getting ready to buy a whole new rig and i've been stressing myself trying to decide what to get. at this point, i'm thinking of this:

- SWR bass 350 / SM400
    - SWR workingman's 2x10T
    - Bag End S-15D

my main question to bag end users: is the 200 watt rating on the S-15D accurate? will i be dangerously underpowering it if i run it with half of an SWR 350? do you guys think this rig is a good idea in general?

also, i've already contacted a couple people about buying their SWR amps, so if anyone else has one for sale (or anyone has the Bag End cab for sale) please shoot me a PM. i'd also consider other amps in the 400 watt range, but i've ruled out G-K because i don't want the bi-amping stuff and i really dislike the ampeg heads in my price range. i guess i'd consider a hartke.

well as you all can see, i'm quite confused so any general suggestions would help. thanks guys.
  2. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    I would suggest that you forget the workingman's 210 and get two Bag End 15s. Their 15s have plenty of high end for me.

Also at least audition the Peavey Firebass head. It has plenty of juice and a good tone for a good price.
  3. that's an interesting suggestion, and i'd thought about using 2 bag ends before. but, what kind of sound do you like? i'm way into mids, and punchy is my top priority... i didn't know if i'd be able to get aggressive enough without 10's.

peavey suggestion noted, i'll check that out.
  4. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    The S-15D is very punchy for a 15" cab. It has very prominent mids.

As far as the 200 watt rating- I don't know much about speaker specs and all, but it is a very loud and efficient cab. I run my Hartke 3500 (240W @ 8 ohm) through a single Bag End and have never had a problem being heard over a LOUD drummer and two Marshalls.

If you can find a Bag End 2x10 at a good price, you might consider that instead of the Workingman's. At the TB Philly gathering, we hooked up JoelEOM's Bag End 2x10 and my S-15D to Joel's Hartke head and it sounded phenomenal!
  5. oddentity - it appears that the bag end 2x10s are 4 ohms. this is the reason that i've pretty much settled on the SWR - you have no idea how hard it is to find a low-powered 8 ohm 2x10, which i think is pretty strange.

by the way - how much did you S-15D owners pay for your cab, and where did you get it?
  6. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    The Bag Ends are pretty punchy and I bet the coax model is even more punchy.

You also might want to consider the sensitivity of each cabinet. The Bag Ends are 103 db sensitivie and the SWR is 98 db. This means the Bag End will be almost 4 times louder than the SWR.

I got my Bag End cab for an Ampeg 18 and a Sunn bass head plus some cash.
  7. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Not to horn in on DHC's thread but for you Bag End guys - do you think the rear porting causes you any grief? How about on an open outdoor stage?

Oh I recently got a price quote on an S15X-D at Chuck Levin's at $585 (I didn't realize adding the horn cranked the price up that high)
  8. boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    A new Bag End 15 (w/o coax) goes for about $400. BassNW and other places have them for about this price. Plus shipping.
  9. stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    i think the sm 400 (s) is a fantastic amplifier. i set mine flat with just the aural enhancer turned up to half and get tight, clear, warm tones. although the telefunken tube in it may have something to do with this. :)

seems like two s15d's would be as close to an ideal setup as you can get with this amp power and impedence wise. i think you'll be very happy with it. be sure to post pictures!

10. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    patience can get you a slammin deal on a sm400......
  11. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    The Bag End wouldn't be 4 times louder than the SWR. Noticeably louder most likely, but not 4 or even 2 times as loud. You need a +9dB increase to be twice as loud.
  12. so i've just heard some opinions that the SM-400 is lacking in aggressiveness/mids, and its wattage is overrated. anyone agree/disagree? i can demo an SM-500, do these amps sound similar so i can get a good idea?
  13. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    My bad. It still would be kind of unbalanced sounding IMO.

For your consideration.

Loudness and audio level

When audio signal level is increased 3 dB, the signal power has doubled. The human hearing does not work linearly and that 3 dB does not sound to be twice as loud. The PERCEPTION of twice as loud corresponds to considerably more than twice the total acoustic power. Typically literature states that 10 dB increase of sound level is heard as "twice as loud". While it may not be exactly 10 dB, that's a reasonable figure.

Original Article
  14. stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    yeah, i think the sm 500 is pretty much identical to the sm 400s. the sm400 is also very similar but has slightly less power. as far as it being underpowered, i've always found it loud enough for my needs. playing it through my big cabinet (acoustic 301) it was very loud. i've always thought loudness to be more a function of how efficient your cabinets are and how many speakers you have anyways.

the eq section on these amps is very flexible. i would mess around with the sm 500 to see if you're able to get a tone that you like. i see what you mean about it not being aggressive, though. it doesn't have that ampeg "bite" to it.
  15. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    I bought mine on blowout from Zzounds a year ago, when they stopped carrying the line. I paid $350 then. At the same time BassNW quoted me just under $400. They tend to go for around $300 used, though.
  16. If you're playing in a loud band, I recommend the SM400S or SM500 over the 350. I have a 350 which I used to use with my band a few years ago (loud drummer and a guitarist with a Fender Twin usually cranked up). Loved the amp, but always felt like I could use a bit more volume and headroom.

Otherwise, What about a used Bass 750?
  17. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    For a brief period, my rig consisted of the SM-400S and the Bag End S-15. Brief because I ran the SM-400S in bridged mono mode(needed volume). Needless to say, the speaker in the BE didn't last too long. I replaced it (200 watts is accurate) with a 600 watt Carvin speaker and added a 4x10 Goliath III on top. Much better results and no more blown speakers!:)
  18. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I have an SWR SM400s,a Bag End S15d,and an Eden D210xlt,all of which I found used in very good condition.The cabs are both 8 ohms,so together they go to 4 ohms.Both of these cabs are more efficient than average,I think they're both at 103db for 1 watt @ 1 meter, and together they are quite LOUD.I feel these two cabs are a good match for each other both because of the efficiency and also the tone.
    Both the Eden and the Bag End use cast frame drivers which is part of why they are so efficient.The WM 2x10 you're thinking of getting uses stamped driver frames and as such IMHO would not be a good mate for the Bag End.
  19. yes, i'm pretty much sold on two Bag End S-15Ds now. thanks for all the advice given so far. i'm still waffling on the amp issue, though - considering a peavey firebass, even. i think i'll be demoing some SWR stuff this weekend, but i really don't imagine that i'll dislike it - i really like the tone from my Workingman's 15 combo.
  20. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    You won't be sorry if you get two S15Ds. I use one for my small to large club gigs and its a flawless performer even with my 5 string. I also have a S12D for my upright and its a fabulous URB cab. Once in a while I will put the 15 and 12 together and that makes an even better electric rig.I power all of those combinations with an Eden WT-500. FYI- my Eden D410XLT hasn't left the house in months.