Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bag End - true love?!?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Aug 14, 2001.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I've been looking around for a cab (or two) to keep the G-K 400RB up off the floor. I thought I wanted an SWR Triad, but the idea of boosting that beast into the trunk of my Impala left me feeling achy already.

Today, I stopped at a local dealer to test drive Bag End. The only cab they had in stock was a S15-XD, the Deep Red series coaxial 1x15. Hot damn! This be the ONE!

I'm considering a S15-XD and a S15-D for a small stack. These would pull my G-K's full 200W, and for a "tactical" rig, just grab the XD and live with 120W. I can easily fit both 15s, my G-K, and one of my Steinbergers in the trunk of the cruiser.

I'm a thumpy kinda guy, only play a four, and don't slap at all.

Opinions?

2. I heard the Bags were really punchy :D That's my opinion.

3. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I found a used S15-D last February for $199.The carpet needed a haircut but soundwise it's in great working order.All my basses except one are active,and I find that with just a touch of treble boost on the guitar,I don't even miss the tweeter,even for slap.I did a gig Saturday with it powered by an Eden WT300 and for such a physically small rig the sound was impressive.I think it's one of the best 1x15 cabs out there.

4. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Imho you can't go wrong with the Bag... :)

I use a single S15-D and it does sound quite punchy -- I think it covers the highs great, even without the tweeter (like you, HD, I don't really need lots of highs, and I play a four as well). At the same time, it's deep enough to really move some air and make my pants flap. If you place it just right near a wall, the near port really brings out the LOWs.

I will probably eventually get a second one, maybe the XD, to get the full 4 ohm load out of my amp, but I've been really happy with just the single cab so far.

Go for it! :D

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    OK, I'm off to the other local Bag End dealer today. Hopefully he'll have both 15s in stock so I can A/B'em...thanks, all!

6. When I was in the market for cabinets BassNW recomended BagEnd. I couln't find a local dealer who carried them. Since I couldn't test them out without driving to Seattle, I ended up going with Eden. I've only heard great things about BagEnd speakers, though.:)

7. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    What 2x10 are you using? I noticed that Bag End doesn't make an 8ohm 2x10, so if I want to add one I have to look elsewhere.

How do you like the "mini stack"?

8. cruise4: how do you use 3 cabs without weird ohmage problems?

9. If you have a stereo power amp with one 4 ohm cab on one side and two 8 ohm cabs on one side, you have no problems.

10. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Wow - I can imagine!! :D But isn't the S15 rated at 250 watts?? You must not turn it up past ONE!!!?!?!

11. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Welcome to the Dark Side...:D

12. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I bought the Bag End S15D on the recommendation of Bass NW and also the Acoustic Clarus amp. Wow what a sound! It puts out a lot of punch with my five string.