Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bag End users: Help me decide...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aram, Jun 13, 2003.

1. S15-D + S12-D

8 vote(s)
    27.6%
  2. S15-D + S15-D

5 vote(s)
    17.2%
  3. S15-D + S15X-D

16 vote(s)
    55.2%
  1. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I've decided I want to go the Bag End route for my Eden WT-400. Now the question is, which combination of cabs should I go for - assuming I can't demo all the combinations (which I can't...)?:

S15-D + S12-D (15" + 12")
    S15-D + S15-D (15" + 15")
    S15-D + S15X-D (15" + 15" with the tweeter)

How good is the tweeter on the S15X-D? There's no attenuator, so I'm stuck with it if I go that route -- is it worth the extra $$?

Thanks!!

-Aram

2. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Oh, I play primarily 6-string (strung B to C), in a variety of different styles, if that helps....

:help:

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I like my pair of S15-Ds, and early reports on the combination of them with my new WT-550 head are favorable (the head just got here yesterday).

However, you may want to try your six string with the Bags before you spend good money. I play only fours, and Bag S15-Ds aren't known for their lower freq excursion. There may be other cabs that will suit you better, such as the new S15 custom cab like cb56 here has.

4. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I biamp and use the S15x-d as my top cab, and an EV 18" as the bottom. I too wish there was a knob or switch for the tweeter. When practicing it clearly amplifies the hiss from my pedals etc. At shows, I do not notice it. The cab projects very well, strong mids and highs, a very "present" tone.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I used a S12 on a S15 for about 5 years with 5 string basses string E - B (instead of a high C) and B - G. it excelled at both!

I loved the little rig. I'm thinking more and more about a new S12 to mate to my little Ashdown combo

6. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Personal opinion: tweeters belong in a bass cab like a cowboy hat belongs on a fish.

(Ducks)

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    *stands proud at HD's side*

You said it! LOL ... Fish wearin' a hat :D

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    BTW:

Aram, I scored mine at Rudy's on 48th... I was looking for an SWR baby blue cab for the extended range of the high B string. The sales dude told me to try the Bag End 12 instead.... I went home with it and a month later replaced the guass load 1x15 ampeg cab with the matching BE S15 :cool:

9. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Wow -- we're all tied up in the poll right now!

Speddling -- how long ago did you get your BE at Rudys? I think they stopped carrying them...

Thanks for your opinions guys -- this is exactly what i'm looking for! Keep 'em coming :bassist:

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    1991 or 92 :eek:

it's been a few years. it was way before the red ones came out... I had a birch 15 that I added the black plastic corners to and black carpet 12

11. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Josh,

Were you using a mult- or four-string with this setup? Did you replace it with something new?

Thanks!
    Aram

12. chardin

chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    Most of the time I use one S15-D with my WT-400 and I like it. When I use two S15-D, I really like it. :bassist:

I play a 4 string Spector.

13. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    here ya go.:D
    [​IMG]

14. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm *very* tempted to try one of those one of these days. What does that weigh again, Chris?

15. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    CB56-

NICE!:bassist:

I'll bet that thing handles the B string with a vengeance....

16. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    To my ears it does fine for the low B. Others might not agree. So far Bag End hasn't posted any specs for the cab But I hear a big difference in low end between the two cabs. Notice I turn the larger cab on it's side to reduce low end rumble. Heavy Duty I think the cab weighs between 50-60 pounds. I can carry it with one hand and very easily with two. If you every get down to my neck of the woods, send me an email and I'll bring it to a gig and let you try it out. No making fun of my poor bass playing though. :bawl:

17. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Trust me, Chris - you're a far better player than I. I'm just a hardware collecting wanker!

18. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I agree with Josh on the low end of the Bag Ends. I've got several other cabinets to compare the Bags with and I've never felt like I needed more low end. This is with basses like a Sadowsky V5 or a F Bass BN5 or an MTD535.

I've always liked Bag Ends coax(not a tweeter) and never felt compelled to make adjustments to my highs because of it.

My favorite Bag End cab is my D12-D(no Coax). I would have bought it with a coax if it were available. But the rig that just smoke, peels paint and rattles my filling(ouch!) is the S15X with the older D10X-D pushed with an Eden WT-800.

The Bag Ends just feel "industrial". Built for the long haul. And the company has one of the best warrenties in the business as well as one of the best customer service that I've encountered. The company appears to be more geared to the pro audio market than the bass playing group. This is a tougher market and I think that their specs reflect a very conservative way of thinking.

19. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    I thought I had gotten my perfect small rig with the arrival of my WT550 and EA CXL112II. But quickly learned at practice that the EA wasn't loud enough by itself. I was looking to carry just one cab to practice so my dealer pulled out a BagEnd S15D to try and to my surprise it's loud enough to compete with a deaf guitar player. Although the S15D specs say the rolloff is 50hz, I can't tell that the EA whose specs are 38hz is any lower. The S15D is loud and lighter than the EA by 1 pound. The only problem I've had with the S15D is that sometimes if I have my bass active controls boosting the bass too much, I'll have trouble getting my notes clean. This is something I've never had happen with the EA.

20. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    You guys are all a huge help -- thank you! Right now I am leaning towards a S15D and an S12D with no tweeters in the setup. I think this will suit my needs really well, because I tend to roll off the highs anyway, and the 12 and 15 should be a smokin' combo.

If anyone else wants to chime in please do. Your comments have been a big help so far. :D