Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bag end users?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Acacia, Sep 5, 2000.

1. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I played thru a Bag End cab this weekend stocked with a 15 and a 10. GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ did it sound good. Had a 400w head hooked up and even at high end volumes, it sounded great, no cracks or distortion. out of my price range though. :(

2. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Deep 2-10"s and an 18" ELF-M and I'm VERY happy.

3. Our church uses Bag End speakers for its PA. I don't really like them. They sound horrible, I've never heard the Cabs though. How much are they?

4. MrGump

MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    Side bar to VicD.Ive been very interested in the ELF system,but can never find one to try.I cant even find someone who owns one.You say you do.Id like to know what it sounds like,what head you use,what type of music,all that good stuff.This is off topic for this thread however.I went to your profile ,it has no email address.Please email me at;MrGump06@aol.com If you dont mind.Thanks.

5. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Hellow Mr. Grump

I've been responding to a few questions about subwoofers on some other threads such as, Choosing an 18" by Wreckall 9/1/2000, and How do company's determine frequency responce by big reel bassist 9/5/2000. Also another guy mentioned the Bag End 18" on the Whats your favorit cabinet thread.

I'm basicly an old Bebop upright player with a very limited knowledge of bass amplification. I managed to put together a set of components that sounds so good to me that I'm now shopping for my first freted bass, a five string.

The ELF-M system, 2-10"s, QSC 2402 amp, Eden Navigator preamp. Both fiddles have The Realist and I use an AME microphone somtimes. And 1963 fretless Fender Jazz Bass.

I'm able to play the fiddles much louder and with a much more accurate sound from the box of the instrument. I want to say that if the sound comming from the string is the fundamental and the sound comming from the box is the subharmonic. Then the subharmonic is rendered much clearer and with much more volume. Problem is some guy named Joris says that thats imposible and I should be refering to this as the superharmonic. Well I'm confused. It's impossible but he's got a name for it...go figure.

Anyway the sub really kicks in at the lower notes on the A string on the Fender yet it adds body to most of the A and D strings and disappers on the G string. I did audition an Eden and a Mesa/Boogie 18" cabinets they sounded different than the multipal 10" systems but they didn't go any deeper. But they do play the full scale of the fingerboard.

Like you I was unable to audition this system and I have no buyers remorse at all. Hope this helps

6. reel big bassist

reel big bassist

Mar 27, 2000
    Maryland
    I've been recently looking to put a 15 under my 4x10's, and I'm gonna try the bag ends out. They look like a real quality cabinet.
    I expecially like the natural look as opposed to carpeting,
    although some of their cabs have that as well.
    I can get one for $550 at chuck levins, so I'm gonna check em out. I have a feeling I won't be dissapointed.

Sincerely,
    Greg P

7. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I use two Bag End 15" cabs - one with coax one without - and I love them! Light enough to carry one in each hand, and the tone is LOUD, deep, and punchy. I used to use a Eden 210XLT and 410XLT, but I didn't like the low-mid roar and the brightness of the tweeters - somehow the bagend 15s just sound sweeter and smoother with my fingers and my gear.

btw i'm playing a MTD through a demeter/stewart rig.