Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bag End vs Accugroove

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fill, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Fill

Fill

Oct 5, 2004
    im am now in limbo between these two i played both at namm but its hard to get true idea of there i can get the Bagend for less money than accugroove that shouldnt be a factor but it is for me as of now the real question im trying to ask is accugroove worth 3600 for two cabs i need i now have low C sharp. help pleas

2. If your going all the way down to C#, I would get the Accugroove if you can afford it. I don't really know much about Bag End, but I know that Accugrooves are specifically made for people that like to go low - REALLY low.

3. Fuzzhead

Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    Australia
    Check out the Bergantino IP line as well if your into low tuning. The El Whappo does sound great but it's pretty pricy.

4. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I think the Bag End ELF stuff is really different sounding than the AG stuff. Perhaps its because of all the proccessing involved, but I like the super low notes better through the Whappo grande. It just sounds more natural than th ELF rigs, which sound cool in their own right. I also like the simplicity of not having to have a processor to get those tones.

I don't know of any ERB players using ELF systems for their low C# or F#. Are there any here?

Yeah, which rigs are you comparing?

5. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Yup.

+1

:D

Joe.

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i can't really comment on accugroove as i havent played them. however, IIRC, accugroove cabs fall into the genre of cabs that go for a pa-like response. bag end cabs are definitely NOT flat sounding, and sound different from cab to cab. Like joshua said, the cab you are considering makes a difference. For low B i would stick to bag end 15" cabs or for a deeper sound, the 210B cabs.

I would try as many different cabs from as many companies as you can before deciding. every brand and cab within that brand has its own character, and somewhere out there is the one that is right for you. For every guy on TB that swears by his bag end S15XD for a 5'er, there is another guy that wouldn't use anything but his el whappo, followed by a gal who uses only aguilar, chased down by another player who is an eden junkie.

7. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    This is a great point. Every cab within a particular line by the same manufacturer sounds different so it is very difficult to make a sweeping generalization about any cabinet brand.

8. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Nah,

it's very easy to make sweeping generalizations.

The beauty of a sweeping generalization is that there is a wide margin of error for the person stating it.

But they can be true or false.

For instance to say something like 'In general, Eden cabs have a distinctive mid-bass voicing.' would be very true...in general. As the popularity of the Nemesis, Silver and RS line continue grow, the statement will eventually be considered mostly false as opposed to mostly true (or has it hit that point already?).

'Acme cabs have tons of low end.' would also be considered to be generally true.

It depends on the diversity of the cabinet manufacturer.

You can also say 'The Epifani UL series has a very airy high end.' This would also be a generally true statement.

But then I just proved your point.

Oh heck. Nevermind.

:D

Joe.